Deslauriers signs a two-year extension

dlbalr

17 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Just to continue the conversation about Deslauriers' worth, after signing his extension he got 4 points in 22 games, a ~15 point pace for 82 games. He was on a ~23 point pace prior to the signing. 

So, is he worth the same extension today as he was back in mid-February?

Yeah, it changes nothing. 

$950 is still buryable money if necessary.  Its not a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Just to continue the conversation about Deslauriers' worth, after signing his extension he got 4 points in 22 games, a ~15 point pace for 82 games. He was on a ~23 point pace prior to the signing. 

So, is he worth the same extension today as he was back in mid-February?

How dare you question the ability of our savior Nicolas Deslauriers! How many Molson Cups do you want a 4th liner to win? Did you see his two goal performance the other night? Almost got the hatty too. Do you want to fight him? I sure don't. Check yourself before you wreck yourself

• Like 1

Both McCarron & delaRose need new contracts as both are RFAs this summer. Should both simply be told to pack up their stuff and be gone, or is there a reason to keep either. As 4th liners, wouldn't even Chris Terry be a better option to play 7 to 10minute/game role and isn't Jake Evans likely to break in as 4th line centre after a bit of AHL time (that is IF he signs with Habs)?

I'd put Jake Evans in the AHL and leave him there unless he's ready for a top 9 role (whether through dominating the AHL, or because he's the best option in case of injuries).

De la rose is fine on the fourth line. 

McCarron is garbage. 

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Except Julien has been playing him like a 2C with Galchenyuk.

Well, its stupid that they won't play Galchenyuk at C, especially given who they had available with Danault and Shaw both injured and Plekanec traded. 

That said it seems Galchenyuk at C isn't an option for this group. 

With those constraints, and playing out the string, the last 20 games or so post deadline, who should have been the number 2 centre?  Froese? McCarron? Shaw? I mean its not like Julien had options.

i highly doubt he's a #2 or even #3 centre at the start of next season. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Well, its stupid that they won't play Galchenyuk at C, especially given who they had available with Danault and Shaw both injured and Plekanec traded. 

With those constraints, and playing out the string, the last 20 games or so post deadline, who should have been the number 2 centre?  Froese? McCarron? Shaw? I mean its not like Julien had options.

Again, the master key to the Bergevin era is that managerial ego trumps everything else.

Therefore, Galy is unlikely to ever play C on any sort of consistent basis, since doing that would contravene public managerial edict. It doesn't matter whether or not that would actually help the team; that's a secondary consideration.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

"He refuses to play Galchenyuk at centre so he had no options" is a terrible argument. 

It also doesn't change the fact you're defending DLR as a 4C when he isn't playing there.

Julien had an option. Play Galchenyuk at centre. He didn't. His fault. Nothing else to say. 

20 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

"He refuses to play Galchenyuk at centre so he had no options" is a terrible argument. 

It also doesn't change the fact you're defending DLR as a 4C when he isn't playing there.

Julien had an option. Play Galchenyuk at centre. He didn't. His fault. Nothing else to say. 

See my post above, my friend. This regime is about managerial ego first, winning hockey games second.

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think the edict is coming down from Bergevin.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I think the edict is coming down from Bergevin.

So what? He's signed for multiple years. What's Bergevin going to do? Fire him one year in? Trade Galchenyuk?

Sick of excuses for mediocre coaches like Julien. He's an adult. He's the head coach. Play Chuck at centre. If Bergevin doesn't like it, he can do something about it. Why allow him to dictate your coaching career? Why did you agree to come back if you don't run your own lines?

Poor old Julien. Give me a break. 

So management should have been making moves to get 3-4 more wins in March?

You want Julien to defy his boss for what?  For wins in meaningless games?

Its one thing to say, sure, he can rock the boat cause he has job security.  Its another thing to go ahead and do it.  This march, that was the fight you want the coach to pick with the GM?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

So management should have been making moves to get 3-4 more wins in March?

You want Julien to defy his boss for what?  For wins in meaningless games?

Its one thing to say, sure, he can rock the boat cause he has job security.  Its another thing to go ahead and do it.  This march, that was the fight you want the coach to pick with the GM?

I want him to decide his own lineup day one. Don't talk like Galchenyuk hasn't been playing centre for only one month. DLR might not have played in the NHL if Chuck was at centre let alone 2C, 3C, or 4C.

If it was his decision to push him to the wing then people need to stop excusing it with Bergevin. If he's been in fear of Bergevin since he last played him at centre (the final minute of the final playoff game) then he's a coward. Put him at centre. Bergevin can't do anything. If it goes public, Julien isn't the one who looks bad. 

That said I believe it's 100% Julien's decision and people just want to defend his weak reputation. It's funny how he gets the, "He has a Cup ring and a Cup final" defence but nobody dares try it with Chiarelli. Julien put himself in this situation. His GM agrees. Nothing else. Stop protecting.

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I want him to decide his own lineup day one. Don't talk like Galchenyuk hasn't been playing centre for only one month. DLR might not have played in the NHL if Chuck was at centre let alone 2C, 3C, or 4C.

If it was his decision to push him to the wing then people need to stop excusing it with Bergevin. If he's been in fear of Bergevin since he last played him at centre (the final minute of the final playoff game) then he's a coward. Put him at centre. Bergevin can't do anything. If it goes public, Julien isn't the one who looks bad. 

That said I believe it's 100% Julien's decision and people just want to defend his weak reputation. It's funny how he gets the, "He has a Cup ring and a Cup final" defence but nobody dares try it with Chiarelli. Julien put himself in this situation. His GM agrees. Nothing else. Stop protecting.

There’s a reason why seguin couldn’t play a key role under Julien, just like Kessel couldn’t.

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a reason why seguin couldn’t play a key role under Julien, just like Kessel couldn’t.

Yep.  It's because Julien's coaching style is "avoid getting scored and lose" as opposed to "score and win".

37 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Yep.  It's because Julien's coaching style is "avoid getting scored and lose" as opposed to "score and win".

Is oversimplification, teams have to play to their strengths and if have zero all-star forwards you cant expect a run and gun style to win. If are Pens and have several all-star forwards then is a different story.

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Is oversimplification, teams have to play to their strengths and if have zero all-star forwards you cant expect a run and gun style to win. If are Pens and have several all-star forwards then is a different story.

It's not really oversimplified IMO.  The question was why Julien can't work with players like Seguin, Kessel and Chuck.  It is because he put VERY much emphasis on the defensive play and can't stand turnovers and taking goals.

I'm pretty confident that deep down inside him, Claude Julien prefers to lose 1-0 than to win 6-5.

Julien worked fine with Kessel.  Kessel was traded because the Bruins didn't want to pay him, and didn't have the cap space to pay both Kessel and Krejci that summer.  It was an RFA contract dispute, and the Bruins traded him when Burke threatened an offer sheet.   It wasnt a personality clash. 

Also on Seguin, the reports indicated that it was Neely who wanted him traded.  The biggest criticism of Julien there is that he did not play him at centre, okay, i get that criticism.  At the same time his top 2 centres were Bergeron and Krejci.