Habs vs Tampa - 7:00 EST

Trizzak

De La Rose and Carr are back in the lineup. Sitting tonight, well, it's the end of an era... although it is the prudent thing to do, it's still a monumental occurrence that Logan Shaw will not be playing tonight in advance of the trade deadline.

Tomas Plekanec is sitting as well. 

Niemi gets the start. Defense pairings are the same. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, l<OV4L3V said:

Has Niemi won back to back games at any given point this season? 

He won two straight games at one point but the starts were two weeks apart (and the only other win he has this year was Thursday).  His last set of true back-to-back wins was February 2nd and 4th of 2016.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, l<OV4L3V said:

Has Niemi won back to back games at any given point this season? 

The point is moot.  The future is with Lindgren. Julien should alternate between him and Niemi because not doing so will waste the opportunity to give Lindgren more NHL experience. 

Heck, I would rather declare Lindgren the starter and give Niemi the official backup role starts (while Price is out of course).

I had a strange feeling the Habs were going to keep Plekanec, but making him a healthy scratch almost clinches that he will be traded.

3 minutes ago, habscout said:

I had a strange feeling the Habs were going to keep Plekanec, but making him a healthy scratch almost clinches that he will be traded.

Could be a bluff move. Might generate some panicky phone calls.

30 minutes ago, habscout said:

The point is moot.  The future is with Lindgren. Julien should alternate between him and Niemi because not doing so will waste the opportunity to give Lindgren more NHL experience. 

Heck, I would rather declare Lindgren the starter and give Niemi the official backup role starts (while Price is out of course).

Still opportunity to showcase Niemi for a trade. I expect Lindgren will start Monday regardless.

27 minutes ago, habscout said:

Lindgren shouldn't be part of the tank, why ruin confidence in a broken system? You may be 5% of the forum that doesn't want this team to finish horribly in the standings at this point...I am in the 95% that wants just short of a firesale + MB gone + Geoff Molson stepping down. Niemi should start 90% of games til the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Still opportunity to showcase Niemi for a trade. I expect Lindgren will start Monday regardless.

The only team that may be slightly interested in hopes of rekindling his prior success is Chicago. Otherwise it's a pretty stale market for depth goaltenders.

Most pleased I’ve been with Alzner all season is seeing him drop the gloves with Stamkos

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Most pleased I’ve been with Alzner all season is dropping the gloves with Stamkos

Welll.....he didn't have much of a choice, as Stamkos almost mugged him to make a statement. I don't think Alzner meant to make a knee-on-knee hit but Stamkos acted like a true captain in that situation. We'll never see Max act that way.

• Upvote 1

Now Gallagher standing up against a much bigger Hedman.

Later HNIC shows a replay of Max holding on to Sergachev's stick out of the play until it's out of Mikhail's hands.

A couple of real interesting examples of a character player, and a player without character.

10 minutes ago, habscout said:

Welll.....he didn't have much of a choice, as Stamkos almost mugged him to make a statement. I don't think Alzner meant to make a knee-on-knee hit but Stamkos acted like a true captain in that situation. We'll never see Max act that way.

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s the most positive thing I’ve seen Alzner do this season, other than skate beyond the opposing team’s goal line this one time. I missed his lone goal this year and all its replays. 

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s the most positive thing I’ve seen Alzner do this season, other than skate beyond the opposing team’s goal line this one time. I missed his lone goal this year and all its replays. 

I agree, and it's sad that Alzner has been such a disaster for the Habs.  It seems the other NHL teams that passed on trying to sign him had a better read of him than the Habs braintrust.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

So Stamkos vs Alzner, Hedman vs Gallagher - what's next, Kucherov vs Mete?  This game has a bit of an edge to it, something we haven't seen much of lately.

Quite true.  What's next? I predict Juulsen will stand up a Lightning player at the Habs blueline to level him, then another Tampa player will take exception to the hit, either at that time or the next shift.