Looks like Plekanec is being traded after all

Metallica

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep. I don't get this miasma that descends upon people and causes them to forget that players don't excel forever. Sure, some guys play to age 38, but by and large once they hit their early 30s they're on borrowed time. Pleks' decline was discernable from the long slumps he had in the year or two leading up to the collapse in his offensive game last year. But everybody said this was fear-mongering. Some people are making the same mistake with MaxPac, IMHO. He should be thought of as a guy who has maybe 2-3 peak years left - if that. Frankly, I'm not seeing that extra boost of speed he used to have, and sometimes wonder if he's looking at a relatively early decline. Anyhow, the point is that teams need to take the age factor seriously, but often don't, clinging instead to the belief that a 'proven performer' will by definition keep coming through. 

We were not. Playoff team 2 years ago and he should have been moved than.  I don’t like the return - especially when we moved him to the friggin leafs!

maxpac probably has 3 or 4 years in hi, if he goes to a good team.  But there is no way I’d give him a 6 or 7 year deal.  I certainly don’t want him back, because we are going to suck, but I was also hoping MB wouldn’t be the one making the deal.  That will leave us with just price and Weber and as soon as we fire MB, we may as well move both in the summer, because this team is worse than the rangers before they started to blow it up.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That is surprising - but that salary is only on the books until this summer. It's not much of a concession from our point of  view (although it does give the Leafs some extra room to work with during this deadline as they load up for a Cup run).

We got a great deal for Pleks, even with retention.  I don't know why people are expecting more. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We got a great deal for Pleks, even with retention.  I don't know why people are expecting more. 

Oh, I agree. The retention is nothing at all from the Habs' POV, and I'll bet if you asked people on this site yesterday, 95% would have been happy with a 2nd rounder for Pleks. Now, we got a low second rounder admittedly, but we also got some meaningful, if hardly game-changing , enhancement of the prospect pool: in other words, just about what that same 95% would have been happy with. I don't see why we should expect much more for a good 3rd-line checking C on an expiring contract. It's not a home run, but it's a solid base hit, it seems to me.