Plekanec traded to Leafs

EMELINATOR

From Forecaster on Kerby Rychel

Assets:
A big power forward with both scoring ability and toughness, he is a factor in front of the opposing goal and in the corners. Is also a willing pugilist, which adds value to his overall package for the NHL.
Flaws:
Needs to play a simple game at all times, as he gets into trouble when he tries to finesse his way around the ice too much. Does not have elite skill, so he must earn his points through hard work.
Career Potential:

Physical, depth winger with a little upside.

and Rinat Valiev

Assets:
Owns excellent size (6-3, 215 pounds) for the National Hockey League game, plus the ability to use it to shutdown opponents as well as play a physical game. Has some offensive ability.
Flaws:
Needs to continue to refine his all-round talent in order to maximize output at the highest level. Could stand to shoot the puck more often, since he boasts a quality point shot.
Career Potential:
Big defenseman with upside.

Hard to see this as anything but positive, but it’s gonna be weird to see that turtle neck in a leafs jersey!

cant say I saw a habs-leafs trade coming. Actually makes sense for the leafs though. Plex will take a lot of defensive responsibility away from the leafs top lines.

Just now, Chris said:

decent pick up, both players have some nhl potential 

plus a 2nd rounder, if the habs draft well should be ok

Timmons is licking his chops

Rychel passed through waivers in 2017. Don't get too excited about him: https://dobberprospects.com/kerby-rychel-2/

Valiev seems to be a regressing prospect, but I'd be more optimistic about his actually making the NHL, based on my quick Google hits. Could be a guy who needs the ol' change of scenery: https://dobberprospects.com/rinat-valiev/

It comes down to the 2nd, but Mr Magoo does seem to have added some OK organizational depth.

Solid trade for an expiring contract.

I've been saying for months that the return on Plekanec was a 2nd rounder at the very least. To get a couple of late-stage prospects out of the deal too works for me.

Rychel a lower-line power forward, Valiev a 6-7 defensemen.... Bergevin gonna Bergevin.

Well, anything my family does that ends up Habs related, the player ends up gone. My son’s first jersey was Subban. My son’s Montreal locker room picture was with Plekanec. He also had his picture taken with Bergevin, so who know...

Seems a lot of people said no more than a 3rd rounder for Plex, so I’m happy. I’m glad something was actually done.

This is a good return for Plekanec.  Valiev had a good draft +1 year.  His development has certainly slowed, but I like him as a prospect.  Rychel is depth.  At this point he is what he is.  I kind of wish the 2nd rounder would've been next years draft, but this year's is good too.  Maybe the Habs package a couple 2nds to get a late first.

28 minutes ago, huzer said:

Seems a lot of people said no more than a 3rd rounder for Plex, so I’m happy. I’m glad something was actually done.

Those people were dead wrong from the start. It's typical of a certain type of Habs 'fan,' that they crap on our players even when they don't deserve to  be crapped on. Pleks is a 3rd rounder at best...MaxPac is mediocre...etc.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Those people were dead wrong from the start. It's typical of a certain type of Habs 'fan,' that they crap on our players even when they don't deserve to  be crapped on. Pleks is a 3rd rounder at best...MaxPac is mediocre...etc.

I didn’t say I was one of them. I expected a 2nd rounder for Plex, if he was traded, with maybe a low end prospect attached. 

Engels reports that Bergevin had a good offer from Winnipeg as well, but Plekanec wanted to stay in the Eastern Conference. 

Despite Pleks not having any trade protection in his contract, Bergevin wanted to keep Pleks happy, as they have the parameters of a contract in place for July 1st.

So we're looking at a 2nd round pick, Rychel, and Valiev for 3 months of Plekanec, who will probably re-sign in the offseason.

21 minutes ago, huzer said:

Well, anything my family does that ends up Habs related, the player ends up gone. My son’s first jersey was Subban. My son’s Montreal locker room picture was with Plekanec. He also had his picture taken with Bergevin, so who know...

We got a 2nd because we took back  50% of his contract. Other wise it would of been a 3rd.

But I can't wait to see the media here in Toronto talk good about Plekenec after years of not. Should be interesting.