Plekanec traded to Leafs

EMELINATOR

Value-wise, the Habs did relatively well here (although I'm not a Rychel fan either).  They weren't getting a first for him and the other teams interested in him were all around where the Leafs were picking so there isn't a big difference between picking one or the other.  Valiev is someone I've liked as a potential third-pairing guy for a couple of years now.  I think he'll be up once the deadline passes tomorrow and adding him could free them up to move one of their defenders as well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dlbalr said:

Value-wise, the Habs did relatively well here (although I'm not a Rychel fan either).  They weren't getting a first for him and the other teams interested in him were all around where the Leafs were picking so there isn't a big difference between picking one or the other.  Valiev is someone I've liked as a potential third-pairing guy for a couple of years now.  I think he'll be up once the deadline passes tomorrow and adding him could free them up to move one of their defenders as well.

I'd say getting Valiev all but guarantees Benn or Schlemko are on the move.

4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

They seem to love Benn, and I do think you need a guy like that. But Schlemko has not impressed me at all. Good riddance.

14 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Morrow's an option to move as well.  Cap-strapped teams may value the league-minimum salary (or less if the Habs retain).  I'd like to see Schlemko go but I suspect Benn has more value in this market.

25 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Engels reports that Bergevin had a good offer from Winnipeg as well, but Plekanec wanted to stay in the Eastern Conference. 

Despite Pleks not having any trade protection in his contract, Bergevin wanted to keep Pleks happy, as they have the parameters of a contract in place for July 1st.

So we're looking at a 2nd round pick, Rychel, and Valiev for 3 months of Plekanec, who will probably re-sign in the offseason.

If the Winnipeg offer was better, we should have taken it.  The pick is good, but I would have preferred a third or a 2nd next year over the POS prospects we got. I think we should gphave been able to get more picking up 50% of his contract.  As far as making pleks happy,  he should be more than satisfied with the $12m we paid him for the past two years.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If the Winnipeg offer was better, we should have taken it.  The pick is good, but I would have preferred a third or a 2nd next year over the POS prospects we got. I think we should gphave been able to get more picking up 50% of his contract.  As far as making pleks happy,  he should be more than satisfied with the $12m we paid him for the past two years.

And if the Winnipeg offer wasn't better but merely comparable?  I would also have liked an extra second-rounder but I don't think that was a reasonable request even with retention.

Just now, dlbalr said:

And if the Winnipeg offer wasn't better but merely comparable?  I would also have liked an extra second-rounder but I don't think that was a reasonable request even with retention.

Davidson got a 3rd.  A shutdown centre when you are retaining salary is worth a hell of a lot more than that.  I think this may be MB trying to make pleks happy to resign him later as someone else suggested.

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Davidson got a 3rd.  A shutdown centre when you are retaining salary is worth a hell of a lot more than that.  I think this may be MB trying to make pleks happy to resign him later as someone else suggested.

Davidson is a depth defender with years of RFA eligibility left.  Plekanec is a third-line centre who will be unrestricted and is a pure rental.  The two are entirely different situations and can't really be compared.

If we resign him, I’m happy. Not simply because we get Plex back but because the Leafs lose everything in the deal outside of Baun. I found the notion unlikely but the fact that he was traded to the Leafs makes it seem more possible than yesterday.  

If he doesn’t resign with us, mixed emotions depending how the Leafs do. Call it what you like but I wouldn’t have loved seeing him on Philly or Boston during the playoffs either. 

• Upvote 1

On another note, retaining his salary seems a little odd if we actually were going to resign him.

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If we resign him, I’m happy. Not simply because we get Plex back but because the Leafs lose everything in the deal outside of Baun. I found the notion unlikely but the fact that he was traded to the Leafs makes it seem more possible than yesterday. 

Baun's a UFA after the season (VI) as well.  I doubt he'll be back with them.

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

On another note, retaining his salary seems a little odd if we actually were going to resign him.

How so?  It was a requirement to facilitate the trade for cap purposes, not an indictment of how poorly they think of him that they have to pay him not to play there anymore.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Baun's a UFA after the season (VI) as well.  I doubt he'll be back with them.

How so?  It was a requirement to facilitate the trade for cap purposes, not an indictment of how poorly they think of him that they have to pay him not to play there anymore.

Yeah, after some more thought it doesn’t mean too much. I just felt as though the organization’s priority in having him back would be to save money on his next contract, and here we are still paying half his salary this year when he’s not even here. That’s more of an issue for Molson and his pocket though. It won’t make a difference in regards to the cap. 

Overall this looks like a bunch of maybes and a 2nd. Which is fine. Stock the cupboard. Plek was one of my favorites over the years. I loved watching him on the penalty kill.  One of the best.  His body,  speed,  and position were always in the right place through the neutral zone. When he was on the ice,  zone entries were never easy for the other team because he was always in the right place.  He was overpaid but that isn't his fault. He is one of the few players that I would look for when he he did not have the puck. Amazing defensive forward. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Davidson is a depth defender with years of RFA eligibility left.  Plekanec is a third-line centre who will be unrestricted and is a pure rental.  The two are entirely different situations and can't really be compared.

Yes, Davidson plays a different position, which matters too. Also the fact that the Isles made a moronic deal should not be seen as 'setting the market' even for defencemen IMHO. If I were a GM I'd dismiss that trade as a bizarre outlier.

As for Plekanec: in thinking it over, I realize that I've never quite forgiven him for that soft dump-in that set up Tyler Johnson's series-breaking goal in 2015. An inexcusable lapse from a veteran leader whose bread and butter is intelligence and defensive acumen. That said, he was a terrific Hab - sadly, one of the best of his era - and exemplary in maxing out every ounce of talent he had. Hats off to him.

"Tomas Plekanec wanted to stay in the Eastern Conference if he was going to move. He had no trade protection, but Marc Bergevin worked on finding a solution he'd be happy with. An extension was discussed, and parameters are there for him to return to MTL this summer"

If Beregvin would have used this type of nice guy tactic with Markov, we could have probably turned him into couple more second round picks right now 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I am amazed we went with Rychel instead of Gauthier. You would think Bergevin would want the big French Canadian forward.

But now Rychel is a Hab. Ugh. Just ugh.

Meh, Gauthier and Rychel are both shit.  Gauthier is McCarron with less fighting.

Valiev is the guy they really were interested in IMO. 

He could be a good third pair LD. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Apples from Ontario cost $3 a pound.

Why are we paying $6 a pound for oranges from Florida. 

4 hours ago, Metallica said:

We got a 2nd because we took back  50% of his contract. Other wise it would of been a 3rd.

But I can't wait to see the media here in Toronto talk good about Plekenec after years of not. Should be interesting.

exactly Metallica, that 50% was key

All in all Happy with what MB did. we got what we paid for... Plek is likely gonna live in a hotel room or at Polak's guest room... and he and family can travel more easily between cities than winnipeg or the US... 
On a side note to what if Markov had the same treatment.... the difference is Rick Curran.. .i.e Pleky had an agent

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Apples from Ontario cost $3 a pound.

Why are we paying $6 a pound for oranges from Florida. 

really we only pay $2/lb in Calgary for oranges and apples are a lot cheaper too.^_^

And IMO, Pleks is the orange and Davidson is a rotten apple that cleared waivers.