Plekanec traded to Leafs

EMELINATOR

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm not sure Rychel is an NHLer

Me neither, but he will need to clear waivers next year and unless they trade him he will ride with the team like DLR this year

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Me neither, but he will need to clear waivers next year and unless they trade him he will ride with the team like DLR this year

He already cleared waivers this year. 

They didn't keep every player on the team who needed waivers.  The Habs also waived Daniel Carr last year. 

He doesn't get a spot next year by default IMO.  He needs to show something in the next six weeks, and in training camp next year to make it. 

Or he's just another guy we took a chance on and it didn't work and we let him go, ala Stephane Matteau, Christian thomas, etc..

The scouting reports on Richel show more potential for him than Froese, for example.

We'll know better tomorrow afternoon. We have too many 3rd/4th liners, I hope we tread some for picks.

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The scouting reports on Richel show more potential for him than Froese, for example.

We'll know better tomorrow afternoon. We have too many 3rd/4th liners, I hope we tread some for picks.

Lets just say, if I did a scouting report, it would not be as kind as that blog is. 

I think there is some residual there from the fact he was drafted first round and its not an accurate portrayal of Rychel now.  The hope was always that certain parts of his game (namely skating, play without the puck) would grow when he was drafted.  They have not. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lets just say, if I did a scouting report, it would not be as kind as that blog is. 

I think there is some residual there from the fact he was drafted first round and its not an accurate portrayal of Rychel now.  The hope was always that certain parts of his game (namely skating, play without the puck) would grow when he was drafted.  They have not. 

well, I still think the return for Pleks was good: a 2nd round draft and a D prospect that could play 3rd pair LD next year. And a throw in with more potential than Ott/King/Martinse last year

That is a decent return

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

well, I still think the return for Pleks was good: a 2nd round draft and a D prospect that could play 3rd pair LD next year. And a throw in with more potential than Ott/King/Martinse last year

That is a decent return

I like the return, 

I just think we should be careful overrating Kerby Rychel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, EMELINATOR said:

Gonna be weird seeing him on Toronto, not gonna lie.

A great Montreal Canadien. Sorry to see him go. He's one of us.

23 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Overall this looks like a bunch of maybes and a 2nd. Which is fine. Stock the cupboard. Plek was one of my favorites over the years. I loved watching him on the penalty kill.  One of the best.  His body,  speed,  and position were always in the right place through the neutral zone. When he was on the ice,  zone entries were never easy for the other team because he was always in the right place.  He was overpaid but that isn't his fault. He is one of the few players that I would look for when he he did not have the puck. Amazing defensive forward. 

A wonderful Hab who gave us habitual pretenders a lot to be habby abbout. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DON said:

Grabovski I assume.

Gilmour was traded to the leafs and only played one game there after the trade because he got injured. That was his final nhl game.

Was thinking that was what Brian mean with that pleky didnt get injured...

• 2 months later...

A couple of notes:

- There are some reports that Valiev is heading for the KHL next year.  The Habs would then presumably qualify him to retain his rights.

- Plekanec has already made it known that his preference is to rejoin Montreal next season: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/05/tomas-plekanec-wants-to-return-to-montreal.html

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A couple of notes:

- There are some reports that Valiev is heading for the KHL next year.  The Habs would then presumably qualify him to retain his rights.

- Plekanec has already made it known that his preference is to rejoin Montreal next season: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/05/tomas-plekanec-wants-to-return-to-montreal.html

If Plekanec came back to the Habs and the CH improved their center depth, , he would be a great 4th line center while we wait for a  Kotkaniemi /Poehling / Veleno / Evans

This may make DLR expendable

Funny thing about Pleks...I have lots of respect for what he did for us all those years, but I find myself with rather little sentimental attachment to him, and don't really care if he returns or not. This is probably because he is a shadow of the complete player he once was. But if he comes back to play a bottom-6 role at a low salary, who could object.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Pleks...I have lots of respect for what he did for us all those years, but I find myself with rather little sentimental attachment to him, and don't really care if he returns or not. This is probably because he is a shadow of the complete player he once was. But if he comes back to play a bottom-6 role at a low salary, who could object.

I bet he gets 2 million per. Which is not where money should be getting spent. 

Every last dollar this team has needs to spent on a top 4 d-man or scoring centre.