Islanders vs Canadiens

Habopotamus

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Reilly's got some puck moving skill.   But that defensive game is an adventure. 

Scary. 

My old ass fell asleep in the third again, but from what i saw, it looks like Scherbak might be a player moving forward. 

He gets caught with his head down a lot, but it seems like he's going to produce for this team 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Still has to be upgrade on Schlemko isn't he.

Stolen from Reddit:

Hi, Mr. John Tavares,

Here’s Alex Galchenyuk. He could become your next left winger. He’s talented like a Russian, and have the heart of a true American. The young man who’s scored today is named Jonathan Drouin, a talented young player from Saint-Agathe. Together, you guys could bring terror on the Eastern Conference. Who’s Anders Lee or Josh Bailey anyway?

Did you know that the Islanders were the worst defensive team in 2017-2018? Don’t worry, it won’t be a problem here. Carey Price and Shea Weber will be back in full form and you guys will dominate together like in good old Sochi days.

Here’s a blank cheque, you just have to write your price.

Your friend,
Geoff Molson

PS: Rasmus Dahlin looks great with a Habs jersey

This is the dream

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Trizzak said:

oh hey they won.

yay.

goody.

I missed this game

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If he leaves, he's going to San Jose IMO.

Chances for Tavares next year

Islanders 60%
Sharks 30%

Rangers 5%
Montreal 4%

Other 1%

I already hit my Jim Carey - Dumb and dumber meme quota this week, but you're telling me there's a chance! 

I agree the odds aren't great that he lands in Montreal, and with the Rangers clearing out salary they have now entered the game as well. He wouldn't even have to move if he chose the Rangers. I dont think the sharks are 7 times as likely to sign him though. Even though JT seems as loyal as they come, he must be sick of losing. My odds:

Isles - 50%

Sharks - 20%

Rangers -15%

Habs - 10%

Other - 5%

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I missed this game

Islanders must of set some kind of record; ON a Hab PP they had 3 short-handed breakaways in about 40 seconds.

Islanders defense was non-existent or just terrible. 

Niemi played too well. Habs need a 3rd goalie who wont play as well as Lindgren or Niemi have.

Some young Habs played very well and Reilly looked OK.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Tavares: So, I was talking to my best friend Pernell about how he was treated in Montreal...

Bergevin: ...

I think that is the most critical factor. Certainly  according to PK, Markov and Radulov. A #1 reason not to sign with us. We need habs fans in management. 

46 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

I think that is the most critical factor. Certainly  according to PK, Markov and Radulov. A #1 reason not to sign with us. We need habs fans in management. 

To be fair I think if Tavares called Subban he'd be complimentary about Montreal. 

But the problem people need to get over is that every team in the league can offer Tavares all the money he wants. If Tavares wanted to sign in Chicago they would sign him and then take a huge hit getting back to cap compliant. Nobody is going to turn him down because they don't have cap space. It just makes it more difficult to fit him.

For example, say Tavares wanted to sign with the Predators. Poile isn't going to say no because he has two centres already and most of his cap used. What he would do is put Johansen and Smith on the block. He might take a hit on a Smith trade to clear cap but if you don't think a half dozen teams won't line up for RyJo you're mistaken. He'd have his cap space no problem and the Preds would have Tavares and Turris down the middle. And it would be a team Tavares could actually win a Cup with.

So folks need to stop thinking that cap space is some huge advantage for Tavares. It isn't. If Tavares goes to free agency and tells a team near the cap he wants to go there, they will make room fast. He isn't choosing between teams with $10 million cap space. He's picking the TEAM he wants to play for in the CITY he wants to play in. Cap space just makes things easier.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's safe to say there won't be many dull shifts when he's on the ice, one way or the other.  He's an interesting project if nothing else.

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's like Beaulieu 2.0

Cept his shot has to be better that great Nate...no saying much I know but is something. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

If he's SICK of losing, the team to go to is San Jose, who is clearly the best team on that list. 

Another option for the sick of losing would be Columbus. 

What makes the Sharks so much better than the Habs over the last few years? The Sharks haven't won their division in 6 years while the Habs have won theirs 3 times. The Sharks have made it past the 1st round in the playoffs twice, same as the Habs. 

Regular Season:

2012-13: Sharks 3rd in the Pacific, Habs 1st in the Northeast

2013-14: Sharks 2nd in the Pacific, Habs 3rd in the Atlantic

2014-15: Sharks 5th in the Pacific, Habs 1st in the Atlantic

2015-16: Sharks 3rd in the Pacific, Habs 6th in the Atlantic

2016-17: Sharks 3rd in the Pacific, Habs 1st in the Atlantic

2017-18: Sharks currently 2nd in the Pacific, Habs currently 6th in the Atlantic

Playoffs:

2012-13: Sharks out in 2nd round, Habs out in 1st round

2013-14: Sharks out in 1st round, Habs out in 3rd round

2014-15: Sharks did not qualify, Habs out in 2nd round

2015-16: Sharks out in 4th round, Habs did not qualify

2016-17: Sharks out in 1st round, Habs out in 1st round

2017-18: Sharks may or may not qualify, Habs will not qualify

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, illWill said:

What makes the Sharks so much better than the Habs over the last few years? The Sharks haven't won their division in 6 years while the Habs have won theirs 3 times. The Sharks have made it past the 1st round in the playoffs twice, same as the Habs. 

Regular Season:

2012-13: Sharks 3rd in the Pacific, Habs 1st in the Northeast

2013-14: Sharks 2nd in the Pacific, Habs 3rd in the Atlantic

2014-15: Sharks 5th in the Pacific, Habs 1st in the Atlantic

2015-16: Sharks 3rd in the Pacific, Habs 6th in the Atlantic

2016-17: Sharks 3rd in the Pacific, Habs 1st in the Atlantic

2017-18: Sharks currently 2nd in the Pacific, Habs currently 6th in the Atlantic

Playoffs:

2012-13: Sharks out in 2nd round, Habs out in 1st round

2013-14: Sharks out in 1st round, Habs out in 3rd round

2014-15: Sharks did not qualify, Habs out in 2nd round

2015-16: Sharks out in 4th round, Habs did not qualify

2016-17: Sharks out in 1st round, Habs out in 1st round

2017-18: Sharks may or may not qualify, Habs will not qualify

Who cares about 6 years ago. 

He's not going to look at what happened 6 years ago.

Heck look at 2014-15, four years ago when the Habs were in the conference final... only Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher remain from that team.. just 4 players. 

So Tavares isn't looking that far into the past.  He's looking at the here and now... and right now San Jose is a much better team than the Habs are.  This year we are one of the worst teams in the league. And even if he looks more than one year, we were a bad team in 2016 too. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Who cares about 6 years ago. 

He's not going to look at what happened 6 years ago.

Heck look at 2014-15, four years ago when the Habs were in the conference final... only Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher remain from that team.. just 4 players. 

So Tavares isn't looking that far into the past.  He's looking at the here and now... and right now San Jose is a much better team than the Habs are.  This year we are one of the worst teams in the league. And even if he looks more than one year, we were a bad team in 2016 too. 

So we will just disregard Montreal finishing 1st in their division last season while the Sharks finished 3rd in theirs? 

This season isn't over yet and San Jose is in a dogfight to make the playoffs. Saying they are a much better team than Montreal who has had injuries to their best two players is a stretch. If I am picking San Jose as a free agent, it's for the weather and the anonymity, not because they are a much better team than Montreal.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, illWill said:

So we will just disregard Montreal finishing 1st in their division last season while the Sharks finished 3rd in theirs? 

This season isn't over yet and San Jose is in a dogfight to make the playoffs. Saying they are a much better team than Montreal who has had injuries to their best two players is a stretch. If I am picking San Jose as a free agent, it's for the weather and the anonymity, not because they are a much better team than Montreal.  

Pacific is a better division than the Atlantic. Especially last season when Edmonton wasn't a trash fire.

Atlantic is by far the weakest division in the league and has been for a few seasons now. That's what made Bergevin being so inactive frustrating. 

San Jose beats Montreal if you break down every category. Montreal has a better starting goalie but SJ has a much better backup. SJ is better at centre, better at defence, Montreal better at wing but not by much. Drafting is about even. Coaching better in SJ. Media less crazy in SJ. More importantly the Sharks are not trending down as hard as Montreal is.

What does Montreal actually have to offer?

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Pacific is a better division than the Atlantic. Especially last season when Edmonton wasn't a trash fire.

Atlantic is by far the weakest division in the league and has been for a few seasons now. That's what made Bergevin being so inactive frustrating. 

San Jose beats Montreal if you break down every category. Montreal has a better starting goalie but SJ has a much better backup. SJ is better at centre, better at defence, Montreal better at wing but not by much. Drafting is about even. Coaching better in SJ. Media less crazy in SJ. More importantly the Sharks are not trending down as hard as Montreal is.

What does Montreal actually have to offer?

The Atlantic division has 3 of the top 5 teams in the league, how is the Pacific better again? 

You can break down every category you want, but results speak for themselves. Both teams went out in the first round last season. San Jose hasn't done anything so far and have spent way more money, and don't have the injuries that the Habs have had. 

We can argue what team is better all night, but my point remains that the two teams aren't so far apart that it's the deciding factor between where Tavares signs. I mean, he is most likely to resign with the Islanders, so there are going to be other factors involved other than winning. Based on interviews I've watched of him, he is very calculated and will weigh all of the options. Montreal can offer an elite goaltender, an elite defenseman, a plethora of skilled young forwards, and the pleasure of playing in a hockey hotbed and 1st class organization. 

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

The Atlantic division has 3 of the top 5 teams in the league, how is the Pacific better again? 

1. Tampa

4. Boston

5. Toronto

21. Florida

24. Detroit

26. Montreal

29. Ottawa

30. Buffalo

If you can't see why there would be three Atlantic teams in the top five I can't help you.

Also Montreal is offering an often injured elite goalie, a currently injured defenceman that lowered the habs powerplay this season (it was better without Weber), and if Montreal was such a hot bed and first class organization, it would never struggle for top free agents.

#TeamTank update tonight:

Would have been a great night if Edmonton weren't so committed to being the worst. organization. ever. 

Arizona is back within 10 points of the Habs, Chicago loses but that's kind of okay because that makes their 2nd round pick that we have better. LA wins, helping their playoff push and the Habs pick upgrade from LA's 5th to a 4th. 

Habs start a 6 game/12 day road trip tonight. This is definitely a key stretch in the Fall for Dahl. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

1. Tampa

4. Boston

5. Toronto

21. Florida

24. Detroit

26. Montreal

29. Ottawa

30. Buffalo

If you can't see why there would be three Atlantic teams in the top five I can't help you.

Also Montreal is offering an often injured elite goalie, a currently injured defenceman that lowered the habs powerplay this season (it was better without Weber), and if Montreal was such a hot bed and first class organization, it would never struggle for top free agents.

Average point total per team in the Pacific division so far: 69

Average point total per team in the Atlantic division so far: 69

Math is fun. And if we are talking about Tavares signing with the Habs, wouldn't it be an incentive to play in the weaker division? 

So now we are bashing Carey Price and Shea Weber? 

And tell me again how Montreal struggles for top free agents....

Being a super star in Montreal is not easy and I'm sure Tavares has seen how the fans have treated Patches. Not sure why he would want to play under that crap when he can go live somewhere warm, have little pressure and make great $

The only way we get him is if we offer max deal and no other teams do.

If his main motivation is winning and he will sign with the team that gives him the best chance, is that really Montreal?

If he did sign here I'm sure he would play on Plekanec's wing anyway :B)