Islanders vs Canadiens

Habopotamus

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

That defense has 1 top four defenceman. 

its not winning a damn thing. 

Didn’t stop Pittsburgh.

With Tavares Weber and Price we could potentially win it.

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Didn’t stop Pittsburgh.

With Tavares Weber and Price we could potentially win it.

Crosby > Tavares

where is malkin

where is a third line as good as Hagelin Bonino Kessel.

sorry, that offense with one top 4 defenceman isn't winning

Adding Tavares will help this offense.  Its not going to make it into the same as that Penguins team... 

Just now, Commandant said:

Crosby > Tavares

where is malkin

where is a third line as good as Hagelin Bonino Kessel.

sorry, that offense with one top 4 defenceman isn't winning

Ok.

Crosby is better than Tavares but Tavares is still elite talent. You win with elite talent.

Weber > whatever top defensemen they has last year.

Price > Murray 

Drouin/Galchenyuk could turn a page with their talent. You make it seem like we have nothing but trash.

I'm not gonna sit here and say Montreal won't get Tavares. I really believe that Bergevin will be more desperate than anyone else. He'll make JT the most highly-paid guy in hockey if he has to. But it's true that New York is now in the hunt - that's a huuuuuge problem - and San Jose is IMHO more highly-regarded than Montreal is. SJ went to the finals and has been consistently rated a contender for most of the past decade. Montreal has neither claim going for it. I believe that UFAs, when considering how close a team is to winning, are often swayed by reputation as much as anything else, and that factor favours San Jose by some distance.

7 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Ok.

Crosby is better than Tavares but Tavares is still elite talent. You win with elite talent.

Weber > whatever top defensemen they has last year.

Price > Murray 

Drouin/Galchenyuk could turn a page with their talent. You make it seem like we have nothing but trash.

You still don't have an answer to their second and third line. 

And Dumoulin, Hainsey, Maatta, Daley are all better than the second best D in that group (the one with Petry gone). 

The depth still doesn't match that Pittsburgh team. 

Do we have some players? Yes.  

But we are not one player away from a cup contender.  Tavares alone does not solve the problem of not having a second line C, not having any decent first or second pair LHD, and lacking puck movers on the back end.

Including Tavares, we need three other pieces. 

At best, our management finally moves Galchenyuk to centre and we need Tavares plus 2 other pieces on defence, but I'm not holding my breath. 

This team has some players, but is woefully deficient in two key areas and needs 2 Cs, and 2 LHD. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’d say it’s a little better than the alternative of assuming it would be absolutely impossible. We may have more of a plan than the actual organization but there’s nothing wrong with that type of thinking being plan A. There are some options out there, even if not Tavares. 

Whatever Bergevin has in mind, he at least must have some kind of plan B...that doesn't include signing  a Johnny ODuya and Benoit Pouliot-type. Because Strait-Hemsky as plan B was just idiotic.

But thats besides the point... 

If I'm trying to win, and my name is John Tavares, and I look for a team with Cap Space and a chance to win... here is what i see in the NHL. 

San Jose, with a good supporting cast of forwards.... A defence with Burns, Vlassic, Braun.... NHL level goaltending in Jones/Dell

Columbus, with a good group of forwards, but missing a #1 C.... a really strong, young defence..... Elite NHL goaltending.

Habs, good wingers, even adding tavares still lack a #2 C.... Shea Weber and Jeff Petry, but lack LHD..... Elite NHL goaltending. 

If winning is the factor, San Jose and Columbus are closer to winning. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I can admit I was wrong about the team.

Everything I'm seeing now shows me we are more than one piece away.  This defence is a shambles.  Its not near the level it needs to be at.  At least 2 top 4 defencemen are needed.

The 2nd line centre... our coach and GM won't allow Galchenyuk to be a centre, so we need that too.   I thought their stubborness would wear off, it hasn't.

We are at least 3 pieces away even with Tavares.   4 without him.... and they are huge pieces, both top 2 centres... two top 4 D

Agree with this 100%

We need a great return for Patches plus some luck at the draft to even make a dent in this. Our defense is in worse shape than our forwards and we need centres really bad. We do have some good young support players but we are in serious need.

I still think Drouin can develop into a good centre especially if he can get behind Tavares. Either way there is potential there with either Galchenyuk or Drouin as the next second line centre with Danault as the 3rd that’s not terrible centre depth.

17 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I still think Drouin can develop into a good centre especially if he can get behind Tavares. Either way there is potential there with either Galchenyuk or Drouin as the next second line centre with Danault as the 3rd that’s not terrible centre depth.

One thing that's been really unfair to Drouin is asking him to learn the C role while being totally uninsulated. There is no other C on the team that any opposition club pays the least attention to. At least Galy had a still-productive Pleks to absorb some of the pressure for some of the time that he was being put in that role. We've basically thrown Drouin to the wolves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One thing that's been really unfair to Drouin is asking him to learn the C role while being totally uninsulated. There is no other C on the team that any opposition club pays the least attention to. At least Galy had a still-productive Pleks to absorb some of the pressure for some of the time that he was being put in that role. We've basically thrown Drouin to the wolves.

That is a good point. 

Since the season is over I’m sure he will just have a chance to let loose and work through the growing pains. Who knows maybe this year might be a good thing for him because now he can work on the things that can make him a better C.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Ok.

Do you see what's down the middle for the Islanders? Tavares and Barzal. It ain't covering up for their defence. How is it going to cover up for Alzner and Benn?

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Do you see what's down the middle for the Islanders? Tavares and Barzal. It ain't covering up for their defence. How is it going to cover up for Alzner and Benn?

That’s true but just because that’s happening in Brooklyn doesn’t mean the same will happen in Montreal. Alzner has been playing better as of late as well.