Bergevin back for 18-19 season

DON

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Molson has stated Bergevin will still be GM come draft time as well as September. Everyone good with this?:unsure:  

I kinda had a feeling he would be. It has a lot to do with the fact that you need a French speaking GM in Montreal. On any other team he would of been fired already.

I’m not exactly good with it, but I’ll live with Him having ONE final shot, as long as he’s gone if this coming year is a failure.

my main two issues with MB moves have been Subban for Weber, and then “upgrading” the defence by signing Offensive juggernaut Alzner to a quadrillion dollar contract, and saying goodbye to the freakin General.

If he was gonna do without Markov, he should have went harder to get Radulov.

Sure there have been many other mistakes, but every GM makes those. I can only hope that he learns from his mistakes (even if his ego is to big to admit them).

IF the coming season is another disaster, he absolutely must go, and I am crossing my fingers for a GM who is humble enough to put past mistakes behind.

Molson’s priving to be just as inept as the islanders, Canucks, coyotes, oilers and senators owners.

• Upvote 1

Does having delaRose, Hudon, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Carr, Lindgren, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete on the team give some credence to Habs building OK through the draft?

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Does having delaRose, Hudon, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Carr, Lindgren, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete on the team give some credence to Habs building OK through the draft?

No because our development and player evaluation are bad. I am ok with trading a player like Subban, but I am not ok with the return we got for him. We could and should of gotten a number 1 center for him. I have nothing against Weber, but to get only him and his contract and nothing else for Subban is just unacceptable. Also the fact that Bergevin has a hard time firing people around him that should be fired just because there his buddy's.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I watched the Molson answer questions thing and he is genuinely convinced that we will compete next year and MB will make that happen...I was not surprised by this but still disappointed. on the bright side when Weber returns next year we will have a solid defense -_-

hat.jpg

I guess Bergevin sold the believe that he can land tavares in the summer big time to molson.

Image result for facepalm

But honestly, like others around here, I'm not surprised.

This is the modern Montreal Canadiens; excellence is neither expected nor required, at any level of the organization.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

No because our development and player evaluation are bad. I am ok with trading a player like Subban, but I am not ok with the return we got for him. We could and should of gotten a number 1 center for him. I have nothing against Weber, but to get only him and his contract and nothing else for Subban is just unacceptable. Also the fact that Bergevin has a hard time firing people around him that should be fired just because there his buddy's.

Things will never change until Bergevin is gone  

It's disgusting that he's coming back next season. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta assume he will be on short leash and the first 2-7-1 stretch that might happen could put Pierre McGuire or Pat Roy back working in the NHL, as dlbalr noted, a AGM like Julien Brisbois just don't move from one team to another part way through a season.

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Gotta assume he will be on short leash and the first 2-7-1 stretch that might happen could put Pierre McGuire or Pat Roy back working in the NHL, as dlbalr noted, a AGM like Julien Brisbois just don't move from one team to another part way through a season.

But that's an even worse scenario. If Molson is keeping MB, then he has to keep him until next season is done - not pull a Corey and hire the nearest convenient fool because he has no time for a proper search.

This was obvious. 

He just signed a 5 year contract extension.. he has four years left.. it would cost Molson millions to replace him. 

2 hours ago, illWill said:

To me this season is Bergevin's blemish on his resume so far. After all this time with him he deserves a chance to redeem himself 

This season isn’t “the blemish” on his resume”.  It’s the inevitable culmination of the idiotic decisions he’s made in the past.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Gonna think long and hard what's more entertaining: Laughing at the woes of a team I once loved and wish I loved again, or just leaving them behind and 100% following another team.

As much as I hate bergevin and what he’s done to this team, if I was going to cheer for another team, I would have done so during the reign of the unholy trinity (Tremblay-Corey-Houle).  I’ll stop watching hockey before I start rooting for another team.  Having said that nothing would make me more happy than Subban winning a cup with the Predators, bringing it to Montreal and rubbing in Bergevin and Molson’s face.  The last two Molson owners have done everything they could to turn the greatest franchise in sports history into a Mickey Mouse outfit.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Gonna think long and hard what's more entertaining: Laughing at the woes of a team I once loved and wish I loved again, or just leaving them behind and 100% following another team.

Pretty fickle fan.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As much as I hate bergevin and what he’s done to this team, if I was going to cheer for another team, I would have done so during the reign of the unholy trinity (Tremblay-Corey-Houle).  I’ll stop watching hockey before I start rooting for another team.  Having said that nothing would make me more happy than Subban winning a cup with the Predators, bringing it to Montreal and rubbing in Bergevin and Molson’s face.  The last two Molson owners have done everything they could to turn the greatest franchise in sports history into a Mickey Mouse outfit.

I pretty much stopped watching between 99 and 01 until Theodore went crazy good and kind of cheered the Sharks then because Damphousse went there, I really liked Marleau, and they have cool colours. I came back when there was a reason to hope again.

I don't know if there's any hope here with Geoff Molson owning the team. If there is, it's pretty hard to find.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This season isn’t “the blemish” on his resume”.  It’s the inevitable culmination of the idiotic decisions he’s made in the past.

Drafted bunch on the team who have some promise, have 3 guys who have scored 30g or more (am assuming Gallagher 30 this year), still have Price and Weber. Petry has shown he could be an impact d-man...just not consistently and gets beat bad 1 on 1 way too often.

Obviously are short a centre, skill up front and #2/3 d-man, could be much worse off though (could have Lucic @ $7m/yr) .

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Drafted bunch on the team who have some promise, have 3 guys who have scored 30g or more (am assuming Gallagher 30 this year), still have Price and Weber. Petry has shown he could be an impact d-man...just not consistently and gets beat bad 1 on 1 way too often.

Obviously are short a centre, skill up front and #2/3 d-man, could be much worse off though (could have Lucic @ $7m/yr) .

Bottom 5 or 6 in the league in year 6 on the job. No number 1 centre.  A worst defence than he inherited. Weaker up front despite being gifted galchenyuk in his first few months on the job. 

Wasted a #1 pick on a 4th line prospect like McCarron.  Made more trades than any other GM in the league to continuously add 4th line grunts and 6th/7th depth dmen.

wasted the best years of potentially having an enviable core of price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Markov to go forward with while stubbornly refusing to develop the one centre he was gifted with while stubbornly continuing to try and make Drouin into the centre he can never be.

The team is older, with no true blue chip prospects to look forward to and your thankful that he wasn’t able to make the additional idiotic deals he wanted to, such as sign Lucic and Ericsson.  Basically you’re happy that we have almost as much promise as the New York Islanders - after they lose Tavares.

38 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I pretty much stopped watching between 99 and 01 until Theodore went crazy good and kind of cheered the Sharks then because Damphousse went there, I really liked Marleau, and they have cool colours. I came back when there was a reason to hope again.

I don't know if there's any hope here with Geoff Molson owning the team. If there is, it's pretty hard to find.

I watched very little hockey those years, but I probably stopped a year earlier.  Followed the habs by habit, just really couldn’t watch them - kind of like now.

• Upvote 2

I am a bit surprised, but relieved because I do not want the CH to implode. I am ok with MB getting the chance to repair the damage done by recent errors in evaluation and losing some long-shots.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But that's an even worse scenario. If Molson is keeping MB, then he has to keep him until next season is done - not pull a Corey and hire the nearest convenient fool because he has no time for a proper search.

+1, I heard an interview with Bobby Smith on the radio a few weeks ago, he sounded like a good candidate. I hope Molson starts looking for a plan B in case MB crashes and burns next season.

3 hours ago, illWill said:

To me this season is Bergevin's blemish on his resume so far. After all this time with him he deserves a chance to redeem himself 

+1, I posted a similar view earlier this season. I agree with you on this

48 minutes ago, DON said:

+1, The draft years when we did not have 2nd round drafts (from Gainey/Gauthier era) and some mistakes (like McCaron being drafted too early) play into how few prospects we have.

But I think Timmins can pull it off in 2018.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, illWill said:

Gee.. That's pretty forgiving of you. Good example! I honest to God don't know. It was the comments of Markov and Rad in particular about not feeling the love. Who didn't love Andre and Rad? But you may be right....qwoerjqfqe[qenfe[fn !!

If he just didnt do that horrible Subban trade....    

Thats is the really annoying thing. Makes me think this is how the Oilers fans felt after they traded Gretzky.