This is the worst team I have seen as a habs fan, where does it rank on your list?

Metallica

Well I have been a habs fan since 89’ and I think I can say this is the worst team I have seen the habs ice. I don’t remember seeing a team this bad. How about you guys, where does this team rank on your list as terms of how bad you have seen a habs team?

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

This is not worse than the 99 - 2001 teams

The team that was on the ice last night disagrees. I honestly feel that if I played with them that it wouldn't have mattered that much. My gf had to convince me not to throw my jersey on the ice when the game ended. I realize there's lots of key injuries, but my god

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

The team that was on the ice last night disagrees. I honestly feel that if I played with them that it wouldn't have mattered that much. My gf had to convince me not to throw my jersey on the ice when the game ended. I realize there's lots of key injuries, but my god

I didn't say this team is good. 

But there is no Patrick Traverse, Christian Laflamme levels of literal hot garbage out there and those guys were regulars. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But there is no Patrick Traverse, Christian Laflamme levels of literal hot garbage out there and those guys were regulars. 

Yeah but those teams we never spent money on, this team we have and for the money it’s bad.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not saying they didn't  suck because they did, but it was a different era. I recently played a rec game against legendary Hab Gordie Dwyer and I could see the separation in ability (skating, passing, shot power) from regular Joes, but it wasn't that much. 

The Habs team that I watched last night from behind their bench was also hot steaming garbage. Couldn't move up the ice in unison, couldn't create anything. Pretty bad if Gallagher and Petry look like Kurri and Coffey compared to everyone else on the team. 

I don't think skill wise on the roster they are the worst.

But based on the management, the coaching, the way the players take to the coaching, and the decisions made by management, and how the talent is being used? Yeah this is the worst.

The 00-01 and 01-02 teams were starving for talent. This team isn't. But that talent is being completely wasted. The GM and coach are together making decisions that hurt instead of help. And at least 2001 and 2002 had a real first line centre in Saku Koivu.

So yeah, this is probably the worst. Not because it lacks the talent, but because it wastes it.

Been out of running since November, why are some now bitching they want a better product on the ice at this stage? If you don't realize this is nothing more than exhibition games for borderline players to show what they got and the kids to make mistakes, what can I say.

Basically is same team as last year who won division and 99.9% of everyone bet that team would make it to the 1/4 finals, minus 2 players.

Do we want to bring up pre-season predictions also, who of those freaking out now predicted team wouldn't do well?

53 minutes ago, illWill said:

Not saying they didn't  suck because they did, but it was a different era. I recently played a rec game against legendary Hab Gordie Dwyer and I could see the separation in ability (skating, passing, shot power) from regular Joes, but it wasn't that much. 

The Habs team that I watched last night from behind their bench was also hot steaming garbage. Couldn't move up the ice in unison, couldn't create anything. Pretty bad if Gallagher and Petry look like Kurri and Coffey compared to everyone else on the team. 

This team has given up.  They look like shit right now cause they've quit. 

Talent wise.... Patrick Traverse and Christian Laflamme and Patrick Poulin and Xavier Delisle were actual CRAP.

56 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Talent wise.... Patrick Traverse and Christian Laflamme and Patrick Poulin and Xavier Delisle were actual CRAP.

Lord, yes. I always quote Andre Savard on this...when he was hired and asked what his first priority was, apparently his response was "to get some NHL players."  :blink: A washed-up Joe Juneau and Andreas Dackell represented major talent upgrades on that roster. The mind boggles. There is simply no way a team with Price, Weber, and Patches has less talent that.

I've basically stopped watching these bums, but I suspect this might be the most demoralized, lacklustre Habs team I've ever seen. That's a different question, having to do, I think, with the crashing disappointment of how things played out relative to expectations going in. That these guys thought they'd be competitive is an indication that they do have some talent.

(In terms of most disappointing Habs teams ever, this one is also not close to the top of the list, because my expectations were modest going in; I expected another first-round exit, while expressing bewilderment about how the back-end was constructed. This disaster is nothing like the debacle of 2009, which is probably the most disappointed I've ever been in a Habs team).

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Right now? Those 10 shutouts didn't happen all in February.

October: 22nd in goals for, 29th in goals against

November: 26th in goals for, 15th in goals against

December: 25th in goals for, 19th in goals against

January: 19th in goals for, 24th in goals against

February: 29th in goals for, 4th in goals against

Heck they sucked in exhibition. 

4/5 months bottom 10 in goals for. Twice in bottom 10 for goals against.

It was Price sucking though that ruined the season.

• Like 1

Price's mediocrity this season has been puzzling and, if I were the frettin' type, worrisome. It's almost an under-played story, because Machine is right. If he'd showed up, this team would probably be burbling around the playoff threshold and we could all still be fantasizing about some sort of inexplicable miracle run, despite having a garbage roster.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Worst team? Probably not.

Worst to watch though...? ZzzzzzzzZzzzzz

Yesterday, yes was bad, lack enough skill up front still and wouldn't shell out much $ to see these remaining games, but still have had entertaining ones lately and given position team is in, I bet will a few more one-sided affairs of the final 15 games.

I don't think we've been a team since PK was sent away and Andre and Rad would not come home.

It looks and feels like a collection a lot of the time, although I must say in spurts one had something of the feel of a team.

5 hours ago, Toronthab said:

I don't think we've been a team since PK was sent away and Andre and Rad would not come home.

It looks and feels like a collection a lot of the time, although I must say in spurts one had something of the feel of a 

I doubt anyone in the Habs dressing room respects bergevin. 

• Upvote 1

I've seen worse, but this may be the worst team performance-wise based on roster talent.  They have some serious holes, of course, but those awful late 90s/early 2000's teams were far worse on paper.  This team's result based on the players they have is truly pathetic and therefore puts them right there at the bottom of the barrel.

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If we include the owner, the GM, the coach, the organization as a whole then this is the worse team we have ever had.

Still no

I don't like Bergevin, but he's better than Rejean Houle

This ownership isn't cutting costs like the 90s Molson ownership group. 

The coaching was Therrien/Vigneault in those years, i don't see that as better than Julien. 

Its almost like people have forgotten how bad that team was for three years from 99-01.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Still no

I don't like Bergevin, but he's better than Rejean Houle

This ownership isn't cutting costs like the 90s Molson ownership group. 

The coaching was Therrien/Vigneault in those years, i don't see that as better than Julien. 

Its almost like people have forgotten how bad that team was for three years from 99-01.

Indeed. The young 'uns on this board probably don't remember the rumours that the Montreal Canadiens might be leaving town. I doubt these were ever super-serious, but just let that sink in. It was thinkable that the Habs leave town. That's how crap the entire situation was from top to bottom.

Bergevin is an inept imbecile, but at least he had all the qualifications needed to be a serious candidate for GM. Houle was basically a beer-shilling PR man thrown into the job because Corey couldn't find anyone else on short notice after his panic decision to fire the accomplished Serge Savard. As bad as Bergevin's moves and non-moves have been, he committed no atrocity on a scale comparable to the Roy trade (imagine if we had traded PK Subban for Karl Alzner, now you're getting the picture); nor did he hire any coach as catalclysmically unqualified and moronic as Blueberry. It is difficult to overstate the sheer amateur-hour ineptitude of the Houle era, it really is.

I like to read this thread thinking, not of the worst Habs teams, but the most disappointing Habs teams of my recollection. My ranking is as follows:

1. 2008-09. The 100th anniversary team was supposed to be the culmination of the Gainey rebuild. Instead it became a tire-fire, leading Gainey to launch the most radical reconstruction of an organization I've ever seen.

2. 1991-92. Team that led the league in the overall standings for much of the season crapped out down the stretch and put in one of the most lacklustre, impotent playoff performances I've ever seen a supposed contender put in. Deep problems in the room and with the coach, both corrected in spectacular fashion by GM Savard.

3. 2015-16. Team that should have been poised for "the next step" and which completely dominates the league for the first 20 games loses its goaltender and absolutely collapses. Subsequent decisions in response to this exposed Bergevin as incompetent - thus the season was the harbinger of doom for our hopes for the new regime.

4. 2011-12. Pretty promising, if imperfect, team craps out due to injuries to Markov, the complete evaporation of Scott Gomez, internal rebellion against the coach and GM , and the GM's farcical attempts to grapple with the mess.

5. 2017-18. The profile seemed clear: the Habs were a solid bet to make the playoffs and an equally solid bet to be an early exit. But Bergevin's asinine decisions, plus Price's mysterious descent into mediocrity, deprived us of even the modest pleasures of watching a non-contender make the playoffs, turning the year into  the world's longest funeral dirge.

• Upvote 1

I have one thing to thank for those awful teams of 99-01, they brought a bunch of us posters together on ESPNboards and this site was born out of a collection of those folks. Well, the timing is coincidental, but they mesh in my mind.

I will say that this is the first season in a long time that I've simply checked out on. The only reason I didn't check out on the truly dreadful year was because it passed the time while I was working night shift.

This is the first year I have just checked out and find myself hoping we end up in last place.  I have been doing this since the All-Star break.  I don't know its like i just stopped caring about this team.  I have never felt that way with any habs team before.

34 minutes ago, Metallica said:

This is the first year I have just checked out and find myself hoping we end up in last place.  I have been doing this since the All-Star break.  I don't know its like i just stopped caring about this team.  I have never felt that way with any habs team before.

I know how you feel.  It's a combo of the atrocious record, boring style, the presence of a player I've grown to detest, the departures of players I've loved, and the two guys still here that I am a big fan of struggling this season...the perfect storm to make it hard to care anymore.