This is the worst team I have seen as a habs fan, where does it rank on your list?

Metallica

40 minutes ago, Metallica said:

This is the first year I have just checked out and find myself hoping we end up in last place.  I have been doing this since the All-Star break.  I don't know its like i just stopped caring about this team.  I have never felt that way with any habs team before.

Yet here you are posting away, so one might disagree that you don't care anymore? Fanatics are by definition irrational, prime example :Chicago Cub or Cleveland Brown fans

I was pulling for a bottom finish in 11-12 and 15-16 as well as this year. Obviously 4th or 5th is likely best we can hope for at this stage.

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Yet here you are posting away, so one might disagree that you don't care anymore? Fanatics are by definition irrational, prime example :Chicago Cub or Cleveland Brown fans

I was pulling for a bottom finish in 11-12 and 15-16 as well as this year. Obviously 4th or 5th is likely best we can hope for at this stage.

I think he means that he doesn't care much about the games currently being played....clearly we all still care about the franchise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I think he means that he doesn't care much about the games currently being played....clearly we all still care about the franchise.

It isn't so clear.

As the only aim of these last 20-30 games are focused on the future. So if don't care how Juulsen-Lernout-Lehkonen-Scherbak-Hudon-Galchenyuk-Drouin-Lindgren-Reilly-Carr look for the next month's play, clearly seems mustn't have a whole lot of interest in 18-19 season neither. A fan who only cares about team when winning, not much of a fan is it?

Game in Tampa was entertaining, wasn't it? What more do you want, at this stage of season?

17 minutes ago, DON said:

It isn't so clear.

As the only aim of these last 20-30 games are focused on the future. So if don't care how Juulsen-Lernout-Lehkonen-Scherbak-Hudon-Galchenyuk-Drouin-Lindgren-Reilly-Carr look for the next month's play, clearly seems mustn't have a whole lot of interest in 18-19 season neither. A fan who only cares about team when winning, not much of a fan is it?

Game in Tampa was entertaining, wasn't it? What more do you want, at this stage of season?

I really think all he meant by it was that he doesn’t care if we rack up any more wins. I think it’s pretty clear all of us here want our youth to look good moving forward, was as we’re looking forward to the future instead of this season, wins don’t help our drafting, and therefore don’t help our future nessecarily.

If we can lose AND have our youth look good, that’s all I care for personally

1 hour ago, DON said:

It isn't so clear.

I'd rather lose 5-0 in regulation, than get a loser point...  AT this stage, I'll take the extra short term pain for the better pick in 3 months 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I'd rather lose 5-0 in regulation, than get a loser point...  AT this stage, I'll take the extra short term pain for the better pick in 3 months 

Of course, want no points, but all I meant was that was at least entertaining game and Hudon 2a, Galchenyuk gets nice goal and is showing more focus on defense lately, which is very encouraging.

This is no where as bad as Houle’s rein of error, but I still can’t figure out why Bergevin still has his job. A bad team I can deal with but when you have a team stuck in sub-mediocrity and no changes in leadership —and no apparent plan— it is hard to take.

Here’s hoping we can somehow sign Tavares

17 minutes ago, PMAC said:

This is no where as bad as Houle’s rein of error, but I still can’t figure out why Bergevin still has his job. A bad team I can deal with but when you have a team stuck in sub-mediocrity and no changes in leadership —and no apparent plan— it is hard to take.

Here’s hoping we can somehow sign Tavares

I agree. No changes and no plan. I still think that the Hudon Lehkonen Scherbak Juulson players can be had via trade. If that's the case.  This group has drafted and developed one impact player. Alex Galchenyuk.  And that was two weeks after getting hired. Every good team in the league has some youngsters making an impact. If the Habs are to improve,  their player development needs to be changed. Maybe scouting too.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree. No changes and no plan. I still think that the Hudon Lehkonen Scherbak Juulson players can be had via trade. If that's the case.  This group has drafted and developed one impact player. Alex Galchenyuk.  And that was two weeks after getting hired. Every good team in the league has some youngsters making an impact. If the Habs are to improve,  their player development needs to be changed. Maybe scouting too.

I am all in line with changes to player development, I also have a strange feeling TT might be overstepped on picks at the draft by MB. He seemed to have free licence in later rounds but might not always get his 1st pick in early rounds. Just a feeling no proof of this but he is the one that picked our stars now on team (edit: and some other ones), right?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those curious, at a .436 win percentage this club has a worse record than any Houle team. With two more losses they would tie the worst modern era club in 00-01 and if they lose all of their last games it would set a franchise record for losses in a season. They currently match 15-16 in regulation losses but with 10 less wins so far.

Historic season this has been developing into. 

15 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

For those curious, at a .436 win percentage this club has a worse record than any Houle team. With two more losses they would tie the worst modern era club in 00-01 and if they lose all of their last games it would set a franchise record for losses in a season. They currently match 15-16 in regulation losses but with 10 less wins so far.

And that's what we're rooting for at this point!

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Doesn’t hurt as much because I have stopped watching 

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

The kids are worth watching, even if they struggle. And doesn't hurt so much if been resigned to lost season several months ago and now rooting for a string of losses to cap off season.

4 hours ago, Neech said:

And that's what we're rooting for at this point!

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

I've stopped watching as well, just following the scores.  From afar, Gally seems like the only bright spot this season.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

I've stopped watching as well, just following the scores.  From afar, Gally seems like the only bright spot this season.

I would say Byron near or at 20g again & Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak have shown some encouraging play. Galchneyuk is playing better in his own end and is finishing season pretty strong. Lehkonen and Drouin have shown spurts of good offense also.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

- Gallagher has had his best season

- Drouin had a better second half

- Petry had a good year point wise

- Byron proved he wasn't a fluke

- Hudon had a good enough rookie season

- As a left wing Galchenyuk was almost Top 30 in points per game (31st)

- Scherbak showed real promise

- Niemi did a good job impressing teams for the summer

- Shea Weber was decent point wise when he was healthy

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

- Gallagher has had his best season

- Drouin had a better second half

- Petry had a good year point wise

- Byron proved he wasn't a fluke

- Hudon had a good enough rookie season

- As a left wing Galchenyuk was almost Top 30 in points per game (31st)

- Scherbak showed real promise

- Niemi did a good job impressing teams for the summer

- Shea Weber was decent point wise when he was healthy

Those are pretty dim bright spots, frankly. There is really nothing there to get excited about. Galy has a strong second half? Great, he did that before (in 2016). Fool me twice, shame on me: we need to see a solid, consistent season from him. Drouin improved, started looking non-terrible. Non-terrible is not a "bright spot." Niemi, Bryon, Hudon - nothing wrong with those guys, I've always loved Byron, but come on. They are second and third tier NHLers.That leaves Gallgher, and also Scherbak, who I agree has looked promising, but that's a long way from a bona-fide 'bright spot.' Hell, Alex Perezhogin looked promising too in short stints. To mix my metaphor, this is grasping at straws.

I was talking to my brother the other day about how this has felt like a lockout season. There has been basically zero reason to tune in, no reason to put your faith and your energy into hockey if you're a Habs fan. By contrast, Van - an equally dismal franchise - at least had a bona-fide all-star and possible emerging superstar in Brock Boeser. Not a single thing in this season has you saying, 'I'm excited about next game, or next year.' All we can do is hope some big off-season moves renew our belief that this organization is something other than a sad reprise of the late-1990s Maple Leafs.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Those are pretty dim bright spots, frankly. There is really nothing there to get excited about. Galy has a strong second half? Great, he did that before (in 2016). Fool me twice, shame on me: we need to see a solid, consistent season from him. Drouin improved, started looking non-terrible. Non-terrible is not a "bright spot." Niemi, Bryon, Hudon - nothing wrong with those guys, I've always loved Byron, but come on. They are second and third tier NHLers.That leaves Gallgher, and also Scherbak, who I agree has looked promising, but that's a long way from a bona-fide 'bright spot.' Hell, Alex Perezhogin looked promising too in short stints. To mix my metaphor, this is grasping at straws.

I was talking to my brother the other day about how this has felt like a lockout season. There has been basically zero reason to tune in, no reason to put your faith and your energy into hockey if you're a Habs fan. By contrast, Van - an equally dismal franchise - at least had a bona-fide all-star and possible emerging superstar in Brock Boeser. Not a single thing in this season has you saying, 'I'm excited about next game, or next year.' All we can do is hope some big off-season moves renew our belief that this organization is something other than a sad reprise of the late-1990s Maple Leafs.

It's absolutely dim. 

In the first half everyone was terrible. The only guys with PPG over 0.6 were Daniel Carr (10 points in 12 games but Julien hates him for whatever reason) and Weber at 0.62 with a wack of guys basically at the same number (Chuck, Gallagher, and Danault at 0.54, Drouin at 0.53, Pacioretty at 0.51). 

The dark years at least had Saku Koivu who was ppg in 97 and near ppg in 98, 00, and 01. This club doesn't have that. That's why I say blow up management, blow up the team, and tank like the White Sox.

This team has better players than the team had in the darkest years of the Houle era. More overall talent. But at least we had Jose Theodore to look to as a potential saviour (this seems strange now, but he was regarded as a really elite prospect). And Koivu had more charisma than anyone on this team (except perhaps Price?). Also - and again this may sound weird - but that was the first time in living memory the Habs had descended into true awfulness. There was something almost interesting about the learning experience of following a genuinely horrible organization. Those variables don't apply now. It's been 20 years since the Habs were clear-cut contenders. That's long enough. And this season has had absolutely nothing to sell us. Nothing. That's why, for me, it's the most demoralizing season I can remember - maybe the only one that has pushed me dangerously close to true apathy. This site does more to keep me engaged than anything the Habs do, which is one sad state of affairs.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This team has better players than the team had in the darkest years of the Houle era. More overall talent. But at least we had Jose Theodore to look to as a potential saviour (this seems strange now, but he was regarded as a really elite prospect). And Koivu had more charisma than anyone on this team (except perhaps Price?). Also - and again this may sound weird - but that was the first time in living memory the Habs had descended into true awfulness. There was something almost interesting about the learning experience of following a genuinely horrible organization. Those variables don't apply now. It's been 20 years since the Habs were clear-cut contenders. That's long enough. And this season has had absolutely nothing to sell us. Nothing. That's why, for me, it's the most demoralizing season I can remember - maybe the only one that has pushed me dangerously close to true apathy. This site does more to keep me engaged than anything the Habs do, which is one sad state of affairs.

So... which team are you talking about?

98-99 had Recchi, Damphousse, Koivu, Malakhov, Rucinsky and Hackett. Lots of injuries and they were 2nd worst in scoring but 13th in goals against. Which was strange because 96-98 they were Top 10 in scoring and even 5th in scoring in 97-98.

99-00 they were 4th in goals against but again near the bottom in scoring. That was when we were being led by Rucinsky, Zubrus, Brisebois, and Linden. Even with great goaltending from Hackett and Theodore they still sucked.

00-01 was pretty much the same team but worse in goals against but Koivu was a near point per game centre. 

The 00-01 team is probably the worst since the 40s and this team is trying to compete with them. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I had my lowest interest level ever heading into this season, and then the results compounded it.  It's new territory for me as a fan - I only got really into the team following that dismal turn of the millenium period.  It was fun to cheer for an underdog that could just barely scrape their way into the playoffs.  But that was a long time ago.  Unless we get Tavares I'm with Machine: we might as well blow it up and install a bunch of forward-thinkers like the Leafs did.  That's where our language situation and storied history tend to get in our way - it always has to be people with ties to our glorious past, or TBFGA (the best French guy available), not necessarily someone who understands where the game is heading.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

I had my lowest interest level ever heading into this season, and then the results compounded it.  It's new territory for me as a fan - I only got really into the team following that dismal turn of the millenium period.  It was fun to cheer for an underdog that could just barely scrape their way into the playoffs.  But that was a long time ago.  Unless we get Tavares I'm with Machine: we might as well blow it up and install a bunch of forward-thinkers like the Leafs did.  That's where our language situation and storied history tend to get in our way - it always has to be people with ties to our glorious past, or TBFGA (the best French guy available), not necessarily someone who understands where the game is heading.

If MB is the best French guy available, we should never have a French GM ever again.  And if retreads like Julien and Therrien are the French options, than screw the French requirements.  First and foremost the Montreal Canadiens should be about building a cup contender.  If we can do that with some French content - great, but the days of an abundance of French superstar players are gone and our best years were not under a French management team.