This is the worst team I have seen as a habs fan, where does it rank on your list?

Metallica

31 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Getzlaf wasnt a real possibility????  Most had him at 12 and he slid.   My brother and I argued prior to that draft, I wanted Getzlaf, he wanted Parise.  Both would have been. Better picks.

No he wasn't a real possibility.  There were large character concerns. 

He worked those out and became a great player... but he was never a serious consideration for a top 10 pick. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He worked those out and became a great player... but he was never a serious consideration for a top 10 pick. 

And there were no concerns about AK46???   There wasn’t much known about him because of his health issues, whereas Getzlaf was dominating here in Calgary and Parise was also the more obvuius choice.  But yeah let’s not draft the guy with character issues of arguing with officials.  Calgary has such a big concern that after stripping him of his capitaincy, they restored him as a captain a couple of weeks later.  But yeah let’s not pick the dominant BIG skilled centre because of character issues and let’s draft the guy that no one knows anything about other than he may have seizure issues ?

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He had bad interviews and skating concerns but was still ranked 5th in central scouting for North American players. 

Carter and Richards were around 15/16 in the mid-term but fell to 27/30 while Patrice Bergeron was 28th. The scouting was everywhere. It was a clusterheck trying to figure out why guys landed where. Maxim Lapierre was ranked ahead of Carter, Richards, and Bergeron! Patrick O'Sullivan was 14th, Dan Fritsche was 10th, Ryan Kesler was 16th though.

In other words, teams were going by interviews and guts and scout profiles with a lot of these picks instead of general scout consensus. Otherwise Maxim Lapierre would have been a first round pick. Fritsche, O'Sullivan, Lapierre, and Bergeron all fell to the second round. In other words, if the Habs took Patrice Bergeron at 10th overall, it was less of a stretch than taking Jeff Carter by just going on Central Scouting. 

While there was room for a team to make a bad decision and go with a complete bust (Hi Jessiman) it doesn't excuse taking a winger you thought would be a first overall pick if you fixed his epilepsy issues. That's just terrible scouting.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Remove Matthews and Leaf Mgmt would look pretty typical and would still have big holes up front and on back end.

A monkey would of drafted Matthews...even a Milbury or Maclean would of taken him. 

So I still don't see what big difference they have made (other than not shooting themselves in foot, as per norm in Hogtown)?

Babcock (or almost any coach) normally does well, given hall of fame players on his roster...other than that Detroit sucked every year since Lidstrom-Datsyuk were gone (good time to bail eh Mikey). Wings have won all of 3 playoff series since 2008-09 finals loss. Therrien managed same in just 2 playoffs.

Lou also addresses the issue on goal.  They needed to improve on defence and he brought in Hainsey.  He’s no Karlsson, but he’s a hell of a lot better than any of the dmen that MB brought in and match cheaper and better term than MB gave that useless pylon Alzner.

oh and they didn’t decide they’d try and develop Mathhews as an NHL centre by playing him on the wing.

also. notice how Kadri turned into a 30 goal scorer since the Nonis and Burke circus were run out of town???

52 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He had bad interviews and skating concerns but was still ranked 5th in central scouting for North American players. 

Carter and Richards were around 15/16 in the mid-term but fell to 27/30 while Patrice Bergeron was 28th. The scouting was everywhere. It was a clusterheck trying to figure out why guys landed where. Maxim Lapierre was ranked ahead of Carter, Richards, and Bergeron! Patrick O'Sullivan was 14th, Dan Fritsche was 10th, Ryan Kesler was 16th though.

In other words, teams were going by interviews and guts and scout profiles with a lot of these picks instead of general scout consensus. Otherwise Maxim Lapierre would have been a first round pick. Fritsche, O'Sullivan, Lapierre, and Bergeron all fell to the second round. In other words, if the Habs took Patrice Bergeron at 10th overall, it was less of a stretch than taking Jeff Carter by just going on Central Scouting. 

While there was room for a team to make a bad decision and go with a complete bust (Hi Jessiman) it doesn't excuse taking a winger you thought would be a first overall pick if you fixed his epilepsy issues. That's just terrible scouting.

That pick wasn’t scouting that was buying a lottery ticket and hope you win the jackpot.

I don't see what seizure issues have to do with making a draft pick. He didn't seize his way out of the league. He was a good player with a ton of upside that didn't put it all together. 

Montreal drafted who they thought was the best player available. Isn't that what most people want here or just want to complain about everything the Habs do? If you were okay with drafting Getlaf there then you should be okay with drafting Louie Leblanc. 

19 minutes ago, illWill said:

Montreal drafted who they thought was the best player available. Isn't that what most people want here or just want to complain about everything the Habs do?

The whole point is that thinking Andrei Kostitsyn was the best player available in 2003 is bad scouting.

I don't want them to just draft the best player available. I want them to be right in drafting the best player available. Timmins is less than .500 in the first round. 

Regardless there's two types of people. People who pay attention at how many games draft picks play and people who pay attention to how good the players drafted are. If you only care about draft pick averages and games played averages and draft pick NHL games, you probably want Timmins to stick around. The rest don't. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I don't see what seizure issues have to do with making a draft pick. He didn't seize his way out of the league. He was a good player with a ton of upside that didn't put it all together. 

Montreal drafted who they thought was the best player available. Isn't that what most people want here or just want to complain about everything the Habs do? If you were okay with drafting Getlaf there then you should be okay with drafting Louie Leblanc. 

Yeah, because Leblanc and Getzlaf are the same players right.  Both were dominating in juniors and both are that big centre we have been wanting since forever?

59 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, because Leblanc and Getzlaf are the same players right.  Both were dominating in juniors and both are that big centre we have been wanting since forever?

What I have learned since posting here is that we have a bunch of sheldon cooper's in here. There is no point trying to voice your opinion because there's is the only one that counts and yours will be downvoted. So just drop the topic of missed opportunity on elite centers like I have done.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Getzlaf wasnt a real possibility????  Most had him at 12 and he slid.   My brother and I argued prior to that draft, I wanted Getzlaf, he wanted Parise.  Both would have been. Better picks.

So one 15 frickin years ago is all the biggest Hab cynic has to bitch about...thanks for making my point for me.:P

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DON said:

So one 15 frickin years ago is all the biggest Hab cynic has to bitch about...thanks for making my point for me.:P

I have made my points on how we have had opportunity's in the draft to draft elite talented centers but we keep on passing them up. There is no need to repeat myself just because the sheldon coopers of this forum need to be right all the time.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

What I have learned since posting here is that we have a bunch of sheldon cooper's in here. There is no point trying to voice your opinion because there's is the only one that counts and yours will be downvoted. So just drop the topic of missed opportunity on elite centers like I have done.

Are you really crying about downvotes? We're all pretty honest and mature debaters here. I got a few people on my ignore but that's it. If you can't discuss without throwing your arms up in the air about a red number, you need to get some thick skin.

Getzlaf was seen by scouts at the time as a two way centre who would settle into a 2nd or 3rd line role.  No one saw him as a future elite first liner. 

Bob McKenzie even mentioned it during the draft. 

37 minutes in

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Are you really crying about downvotes? We're all pretty honest and mature debaters here. I got a few people on my ignore but that's it. If you can't discuss without throwing your arms up in the air about a red number, you need to get some thick skin.

I am not crying about downvoted could not care less. I got a life believe me I don't lose any sleep. I am just saying I don't need to always have to have my way unlike some poster in here which is why I call them the sheldon cooper of the forum because they always need to get there way.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

I am not crying about downvoted could not care less. I got a life believe me I don't lose any sleep. I am just saying I don't need to always have to have my way unlike some poster in here which is why I call them the sheldon cooper of the forum because they always need to get there way.

1) You seem to care.

2) It's Their

3) If you are going to call someone out, just do it and quit beating around the bush.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎12 at 2:52 PM, Metallica said:

This is the first year I have just checked out and find myself hoping we end up in last place.  I have been doing this since the All-Star break.  I don't know its like i just stopped caring about this team.  I have never felt that way with any habs team before.

Me too.. except for that 20 year stretch when I discovered girls.

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎03 at 11:45 PM, Commandant said:

1) You seem to care.

2) It's Their

3) If you are going to call someone out, just do it and quit beating around the bush.

Maybe we could watch some Aussie bush beating. Beats Habs hockey...

I suspect there is something to the Bergevin alienating hypothesis. If there is no such hypothesis floating about.. this is one. Markov. Rad. All felt they weren't respected. How big a factor with PK? I think that there is an attitude problem in Montreal but I don't think its the team. And look at the suits. No person without an attitude problem could pay good .. or even counterfeit money for those suits. I want my Habs back. I have an attitude problem and its in the room.. the living room. Why do they call it that? Are we not living when in the other rooms? Inquiring minds...:huh:

6 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

I suspect there is something to the Bergevin alienating hypothesis. If there is no such hypothesis floating about.. this is one. Markov. Rad. All felt they weren't respected. How big a factor with PK? I think that there is an attitude problem in Montreal but I don't think its the team. And look at the suits. No person without an attitude problem could pay good .. or even counterfeit money for those suits. I want my Habs back. I have an attitude problem and its in the room.. the living room. Why do they call it that? Are we not living when in the other rooms? Inquiring minds...:huh:

My hypothesis is that during the 20 year stretch where you found girls, you were also living in the bedroom. 

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎18 at 12:54 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

My hypothesis is that during the 20 year stretch where you found girls, you were also living in the bedroom. 

Haha.. I tuned in to watch the Leafs lose yesterday.. and damn! They won! Whaddupwiddat?

On 4/22/2018 at 2:21 PM, Toronthab said:

Haha.. I tuned in to watch the Leafs lose yesterday.. and damn! They won! Whaddupwiddat?

There are far too many Leafs fans wearing big smiles today...it's sickening!  I hope their hearts are ripped out in overtime in game 7.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

There are far too many Leafs fans wearing big smiles today...it's sickening!  I hope their hearts are ripped out in overtime in game 7.

Nah, a 9-0 thrashing is more what the doctor ordered. Something that will make consolation impossible.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nah, a 9-0 thrashing is more what the doctor ordered. Something that will make consolation impossible.

Hmmm...perhaps you are right...a close game would surely result in Laffs nation blaming the referees for the loss.  They are already blathering on about a pro-Boston bias in that department.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

Hmmm...perhaps you are right...a close game would surely result in Laffs nation blaming the referees for the loss.  They are already blathering on about a pro-Boston bias in that department.

:rolleyes:

The thing with an OT Game 7 loss is, it's incredibly painful, but if you have a young team, you can tell yourself that your club is right on the cusp, that just a bounce or two and you'd have won, it's only a matter of time, etc..  Heck, that's what I did when we lost against the Bruins in 2011. (Although I've never quite forgiven the "friend" who called  me literally seconds after the goal was scored to "express his condolences" when his agenda was, in fact, to rub it in).

You get blown out, on the other hand, and there's no way to kid yourself . Although if anyone can kids themselves, it's Leafs Nation.

I also hate the moral blackmail where I'm now supposed to pull for the Leafs because of the awful events in TO yesterday. Of course I decry those events, but when it comes to cheering for the pukes in blue and white? Sorry, can't do it.