Habs vs Bolts

Habopotamus

1 minute ago, Habopotamus said:

Spooner was part of it. Heinen too, to a lesser extent. 

The reason Boston canned Julien was because he would chose a guy like mcquaid over a player like Mcavoy, given the opportunity. Or chose a two way forward over a pure offensive player. Therrien 2.0. 

He never even had the opportunity to choose McAvoy. 

He was a college player, never went to Bruins training camp.  By the time he signed his contract, Julien was gone. 

It would be like criticizing Therrien for not playing Jake Evans.  He never had the opportunity to play him.  

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He never even had the opportunity to choose McAvoy. 

He was a college player, never went to Bruins training camp.  By the time he signed his contract, Julien was gone. 

It would be like criticizing Therrien for not playing Jake Evans.  He never had the opportunity to play him.  

Read what I said again. If he was given the opportunity to play Mcavoy, he would have chosen a vet over him. The safer player is Julien' s fave.

2 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Read what I said again. If he was given the opportunity to play Mcavoy, he would have chosen a vet over him. The safer player is Julien' s fave.

So you are a mind reader, and know what he would have chosen?

Or do we ignore how he handled Carlo, Krug and Mete?

Sometimes he's choosen vets, sometimes he's choosen rookies, even very young and inexperienced ones. 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I think the problem is that we don’t have a team that fits Juliens coaching style. His success with the Bruins relies on two great centers in Bergeron and Krejci, surrounded by intense physical wingers. We have none of that.

It fits Bergevin's idiotic decision making.  Need a center badly?  Trade your top asset for a winger.  Need a coach that can get the most out of a team weak down the middle, laden with smurfs and sporting a soft playing captain?  Get the coach that is used to working with the opposite of that roster.  Makes perfect sense.  Nothing left to do but keep praying that MB gets hit by a bus crossing the street I guess.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So you are a mind reader, and know what he would have chosen?

Or do we ignore how he handled Carlo, Krug and Mete?

Sometimes he's choosen vets, sometimes he's choosen rookies, even very young and inexperienced ones. 

I know that he got fired because sweeney saw this team heading towards a retool and he knew that the organization needed a "players coach" and one that wasn't afraid to allow young players to make mistakes. 

Carlo is a stay at home d-man, krug is solid at both ends of the rink, and as for mete he was seeing around 9min a night for a solid stretch and also time in the pressbox, while star players like Benn were getting 20. 

How about Galchenyuk playing fourth line to start the season or last year in the play offs. 

He Is a safe coach and most young players aren't that. He's not a coach to rebuild a team with, but I guess thats just my opinion. 

Carlo is a two way player, who had 6 goals and 16 points as a 20 year old rookie defenceman.  He is doing less offensively under the new coach than he did under Julien.

Galchenyuk last season was an example where he didn't use the player.  This year he is giving him plenty of ice-time, just not at centre. 

You missed my point though, which isn't that Julien always uses young players well, or always doesn't.  My point is that there are examples of both types.  For every Spooner, there is a Marchand who scored 20 as a rookie playing in the Bruins top 6, and developed well under Julien.  For every Heinan, there is a krug.  The idea that we can always predict what he will or won't do is just false.  Sometimes he favors vets, sometimes he uses a 19 year old rookie defenceman with junior eligibility on the top pairing, as he did at the start of this season, or he gives a rookie like Lehkonen PK responsibility as a rookie, as he did last season. 

Things are more complex in analyzing his player usage than you want to admit. 

As for the reason he was fired, he was in Boston for a decade. After that length of time, a coach and his message goes stale.  It doesn't have to be anything more than that. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Carlo is a two way player, who had 6 goals and 16 points as a 20 year old rookie defenceman.  He is doing less offensively under the new coach than he did under Julien.

Galchenyuk last season was an example where he didn't use the player.  This year he is giving him plenty of ice-time, just not at centre. 

You missed my point though, which isn't that Julien always uses young players well, or always doesn't.  My point is that there are examples of both types.  For every Spooner, there is a Marchand who scored 20 as a rookie playing in the Bruins top 6, and developed well under Julien.  For every Heinan, there is a krug.  The idea that we can always predict what he will or won't do is just false.  Sometimes he favors vets, sometimes he uses a 19 year old rookie defenceman with junior eligibility on the top pairing, as he did at the start of this season, or he gives a rookie like Lehkonen PK responsibility as a rookie, as he did last season. 

Things are more complex in analyzing his player usage than you want to admit. 

As for the reason he was fired, he was in Boston for a decade. After that length of time, a coach and his message goes stale.  It doesn't have to be anything more than that. 

I just honestly think it was a mistake bringing him back. 

The brand of hockey is similar to Therrien's, it makes me sick 

Came to this thread hoping  to read some comments on how the CH did, but felt like we had been trolled by bruins fans!

For what Ian worth: another good game by Reilly. Carr and Juulsen wherenot that noticeable but played well.

Lernout seemed better than Valiev. DLR was involved in the play and that got him to get penalized; but Indidnt tennis game.

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

I just honestly think it was a mistake bringing him back. 

The brand of hockey is similar to Therrien's, it makes me sick 

I don't find it that similar to Therrien.  Therrien demanded speed and passing with dump and chase into the offensive zone. Julien likes to skate the puck out and hang onto it if there is no play. Finding a pass when players are open. I do agree that this team is not necessarily built for his system though.  Over all, I like CJ. I really believe he gives the team a chance to win every game.  I think next year will be different with a couple of adjustments and healthy price and weber. Definitely don't subscribe to the idea that he is a terrible coach When the team on the ice had this many holes. 

Therrien was everything on the boards, get set up, don't ever go too deep because we might lose the puck and need to get back in our zone.

Julien is move the puck up, get in their zone, take whatever shot is available even if nobody is ready for a rebound, and just collapse in front of Price if you don't have the puck.

At least that's what I've seen. Therrien was defensive by design. Julien is a failed offensive strategy.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Kinda seems likely that Julien Brisbois will be a GM somewhere in the NHL next year...that isn't Montreal.

How many teams do you think are firing GMs?

Seattle might hire but they are looking at McCrimmon.

Brisebois is a candidate but sounds like Fenton is the favorite in Carolina.

Leafs may move Lou to advisor, but that job will go to either Dubas or Hunter.

Detroit might be looking for a GM as Hollands contract is up.

Arizona might fire Chayka.

Have heard that Chiarelli is safe.

Benning and MacLellan just signed extensions.

Bowman is likely safe.

So we have

Maybe 2 jobs... maybe detroit and maybe arizona available for him... with an outside shot at carolina.

He might get one of those... but im not sure it "seems likely."

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I don't find it that similar to Therrien.  Therrien demanded speed and passing with dump and chase into the offensive zone. Julien likes to skate the puck out and hang onto it if there is no play. Finding a pass when players are open. I do agree that this team is not necessarily built for his system though.  Over all, I like CJ. I really believe he gives the team a chance to win every game.  I think next year will be different with a couple of adjustments and healthy price and weber. Definitely don't subscribe to the idea that he is a terrible coach When the team on the ice had this many holes. 

Strategically, there is Definetly differences. I just think the past 6 years have brought some boring hockey to watch. 

Both coach a safe game. As machine said, all pucks get funneled to the net in the offensive zone with Julien. It makes for a ton of one and done plays.

It's basically the exact opposite of how players like Drouin and Galchenyuk play the game. Which I think is part of the reason we've seen them struggle this season. 

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

It fits Bergevin's idiotic decision making.  Need a center badly?  Trade your top asset for a winger.  Need a coach that can get the most out of a team weak down the middle, laden with smurfs and sporting a soft playing captain?  Get the coach that is used to working with the opposite of that roster.  Makes perfect sense.  Nothing left to do but keep praying that MB gets hit by a bus crossing the street I guess.

Yikes!

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

How many teams do you think are firing GMs?

Seattle might hire but they are looking at McCrimmon.

Brisebois is a candidate but sounds like Fenton is the favorite in Carolina.

Leafs may move Lou to advisor, but that job will go to either Dubas or Hunter.

Detroit might be looking for a GM as Hollands contract is up.

Arizona might fire Chayka.

Have heard that Chiarelli is safe.

Benning and MacLellan just signed extensions.

Bowman is likely safe.

So we have

Maybe 2 jobs... maybe detroit and maybe arizona available for him... with an outside shot at carolina.

He might get one of those... but im not sure it "seems likely."

Dubas got protected from getting an interview so I think he's the heir to the GM spot.

Fenton is certainly the favourite for Carolina but I've heard the job is kind of... figurehead and not real. Similar to Sherman when Sakic was coming in. I don't know if Fenton or BriseBois would want that job. 

Detroit will be interesting. I think Fenton is a better fit there but I have a feeling Ryan Martin will get a crack as he's been working under Holland forever. Red Wings fans think they can scoop Yzerman from Tampa, which I doubt, but if it somehow happened, Brisebois would be getting the job in Tampa.