Lehkonen ?

Pepsi

Can anyone explain why Lehkonen continues to play for this team? I was a big fan last year, but he clearly has regressed this season, even after the injury. He continues to play Top 6 minutes while produces very little.  The most recent insult was Julien choosing him for the shootout today - and we all knew how that was going to go. I guess one player can't be blamed for the team, but moving him to Laval may be start.

Lehkonen is extremely reliable defensively.  With plekanec gone he is our best defensive forward. For a young player he does so many little things right.  He miggt not be there yet, but considering his age and experience and trend... he has the potential to be jiri lehtinen-lite off the wing. 

Hes also shown some offense in the past and i believe he can re kindle that.

I personally see no reason why he should be in laval even if we were competing for something.  Since the season is lost and this is an audition for the future, its even more true.

• Like 2

Lehkonen's offensive regression does illustrate the danger in attaching definitive expectations to young players, though. Last season, many of us were pencilling him in as a sure-fire top-6 FW. Now here we are, defending him as a checking stalwart.

CJ also has him playing RW for some reason, last year he was a LW. 

He will be fine. 

Until this team gets a legit #1 and #2 center, offense will be hard to find

Ok , I agree that Laval is overkill, but if he is a checker, move him to the checking line. Let's hope it is the sophmore jinx.

Anyone know why Daniel Carr is not given more if a chance? 

34 minutes ago, Pepsi said:

Ok , I agree that Laval is overkill, but if he is a checker, move him to the checking line. Let's hope it is the sophmore jinx.

Anyone know why Daniel Carr is not given more if a chance? 

Doesn't seem like Julien likes him. Which surprises me because he's basically a poor man's Michael Ryder.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Doesn't seem like Julien likes him. Which surprises me because he's basically a poor man's Michael Ryder.

Without the “lethal” shot.

On Lehkonen:

I’m somewhat silently hard on Lehkonen so I’ll stay out of this one. I was fully expecting this to happen this year but there is something to the sophomore slump theory so we shall see. 

The positives are that he definitely is young, has Finnish blood, had Koivu backing him, and Finns usually work hard on (and perhaps off) the ice.

20 hours ago, Pepsi said:

Can anyone explain why Lehkonen continues to play for this team? I was a big fan last year, but he clearly has regressed this season, even after the injury. He continues to play Top 6 minutes while produces very little.  The most recent insult was Julien choosing him for the shootout today - and we all knew how that was going to go. I guess one player can't be blamed for the team, but moving him to Laval may be start.

First off, welcome to the board.

With regards to Laval, that's not on the table for him.  For starters, he is ineligible to play there the rest of the year as he wasn't on the AHL roster after the trade deadline.  He also has to clear waivers to get there (the GP threshold for ELC skaters signed at 21 is only 80 instead of the usual 160).  He also has a European assignment clause in his deal if he was to actually make it to the minors.

If this season is all about playing the youngsters now as many want to see, that will include Lehkonen who, at 22, is the second-youngest forward on the roster I believe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1