GDT Stars @ Habs Tuesday March 13 7:30pm

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Shaw admitted to lying to team doctors about concussion headaches to make sure he could play. All while still playing to injure others with head shots. That's not a person I sympathize with what so ever. Neither should Pateryn. 

I've seen your posts in the past on Cooke and Chara. Your only reason to try to empathize is you've always liked Shaw. 

I don't like that Pateryn tried to punch him regardless of Shaw's state. Deserved a penalty and got it. But if Pateryn gets anything other than the slap on the wrist Shaw got for a homophobic slur, it'll be ridiculous. He didn't try to punch him because he was knocked out, he tried to punch him for hitting him high. Retaliation fights are dumb but they aren't suspension worthy. And if he doesn't care about Shaw's well being because Shaw plays reckless, hurts people including himself? Whatever. Don't like him for it but that's it.

Punching someone who is down because you got caught is not cool. That hit did not look dirty to me. There is hittng in hockey. I wish there was more hitting.  It seems like every hard hit is now viewed as dirty. 

4 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Only definite thing about last night is shutting Shaw down immediately for the remainder of the season.

And hopefully trading him before the start of next season.  More wasted cap space that could have went to keeping Markov and radulov.

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Shaw admitted to lying to team doctors about concussion headaches to make sure he could play. All while still playing to injure others with head shots. That's not a person I sympathize with what so ever. Neither should Pateryn. 

I've seen your posts in the past on Cooke and Chara. Your only reason to try to empathize is you've always liked Shaw. 

I don't like that Pateryn tried to punch him regardless of Shaw's state. Deserved a penalty and got it. But if Pateryn gets anything other than the slap on the wrist Shaw got for a homophobic slur, it'll be ridiculous. He didn't try to punch him because he was knocked out, he tried to punch him for hitting him high. Retaliation fights are dumb but they aren't suspension worthy. And if he doesn't care about Shaw's well being because Shaw plays reckless, hurts people including himself? Whatever. Don't like him for it but that's it.

Totally agree.  He was a total waste of the picks we got him for and certainly not worth the cap hit.  He is exhibit A of MB’s habit of giving out stupid contracts to grunts or washouts, and than playing hardball with guys that he should be bending over backward to commit to (ie Subban, radulov, Markov).

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Punching someone who is down because you got caught is not cool. That hit did not look dirty to me. There is hittng in hockey. I wish there was more hitting.  It seems like every hard hit is now viewed as dirty. 

So you are okay with someone laying a hit to try and concuss or injure someone, bad not okay with someone hitting a guy who tried to injure them?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So you are okay with someone laying a hit to try and concuss or injure someone, bad not okay with someone hitting a guy who tried to injure them?

I've watched the hit about 10 times now. Pateryn's head was down trying to follow the puck, which is bad hockey IQ but we suspend players for headshots when a head is down. Shaw didn't hit his head with his forearm (instead he bonked noggins) but he definitely rose up on the hit, which is why their heads smacked in the first place. If he tried to hit him square they never would have smashed skulls. Certainly not the first time I've seen Shaw try to hit someone like that. If Pateryn was shorter it would have definitely been a head shot. 

So technically no, Shaw wasn't doing a predatory hit. I don't think it was too late either. But Shaw rises on most of his hits which is what bothers guys like Pateryn. I don't think Pateryn should have reacted the way he did, and if they decide to go after him for punches while Shaw is down? Sure. But when I see people who I'm pretty sure are intentionally reading his comments incorrectly because I know their comprehension of English is better than the President of the United States, where they can't understand he was first answering when he thought Shaw was knocked out, and second when he realized Shaw was knocked out, and other folks saying they can't wait until he's hit and bringing up his wife like that's relevant, to defend the homophobe cheapshot artist, I'm gonna roll my eyes and call it.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I am fine with a legal open ice hit which is not blind side,  boarding, charging etc... not fine with punching someone who is lying on the ice unconscious. Was there an effort to concuss or injure? Or was there an effort to lay a hard legal hit and let the other team know it isn't going to be an easy night?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

But when I see people who I'm pretty sure are intentionally reading his comments incorrectly because I know their comprehension of English is better than the President of the United States, 

95% of the planet understand English better than that idiot. Haha

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And hopefully trading him before the start of next season.  More wasted cap space that could have went to keeping Markov and radulov.

We have 8.5 million in unused space.

The argument that shaw is the wasted space that kept us from signing players is fundamentally flawed 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

The argument that shaw is the wasted space that kept us from signing players is fundamentally flawed 

The argument is that MB plays hardball with guys he should be signing or locking up long term - such as signing Subban to a bridge deal and saving $4m on the bridge deal and than wasting those savings on the wrong players - such as signing a washed up player like Briere to term and $.  This was only after he lucked out  that his first choice - another washed up player like Lecavalier had turned him down.  He also gave too much term and $ to Prust, who as much as the rangers liked him said no thanks to bringing him back for the term and $ he wanted.

Had MB not wasted term and dollars on a bum like Shaw, he would have had more money available to lock up radulov to a 5 year and Markov to the two year deals they wanted.

MB always overlays for depth or washed up character guys like Alzner, Shaw, Prust - guys no one else really wants and than plays a hardball with guys he should be building his franchise around.

the fact that MB didn’t still have $23.5m in cap space this year instead of $8.5m available after not resigning Radulov and Markov is because he is a moron for signing bums and washed up players (like Alzner and Shaw as well as pleks).  With the talent team we have on this team we should have at least $25m in cap space available - and that’s taking into account Maxpac and Byron - the only two good contracts by MB.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Because Bergevin played hardball with Radulov and Markov. 

Why did he do that? Because he just signed Alzner at $4.6M and the year prior gave up two second round picks for a middle line grinder at $3.9M. Without that $8M spent there would be no excuse not to go $7M on Radulov and $6M on Markov. Instead he penny pinched like an idiot, Markov went to Russia, Radulov went to Dallas, and Montreal went to the basement.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:
4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The argument is that MB plays hardball with guys he should be signing or locking up long term - such as signing Subban to a bridge deal and saving $4m on the bridge deal and than wasting those savings on the wrong players - such as signing a washed up player like Briere to term and $.  This was only after he lucked out  that his first choice - another washed up player like Lecavalier had turned him down.  He also gave too much term and $ to Prust, who as much as the rangers liked him said no thanks to bringing him back for the term and $ he wanted.

Had MB not wasted term and dollars on a bum like Shaw, he would have had more money available to lock up radulov to a 5 year and Markov to the two year deals they wanted.

MB always overlays for depth or washed up character guys like Alzner, Shaw, Prust - guys no one else really wants and than plays a hardball with guys he should be building his franchise around.

the fact that MB didn’t still have $23.5m in cap space this year instead of $8.5m available after not resigning Radulov and Markov is because he is a moron for signing bums and washed up players (like Alzner and Shaw as well as pleks).  With the talent team we have on this team we should have at least $25m in cap space available - and that’s taking into account Maxpac and Byron - the only two good contracts by MB.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Why did he do that? Because he just signed Alzner at $4.6M and the year prior gave up two second round picks for a middle line grinder at $3.9M. Without that $8M spent there would be no excuse not to go $7M on Radulov and $6M on Markov. Instead he penny pinched like an idiot, Markov went to Russia, Radulov went to Dallas, and Montreal went to the basement.

Did Bergevin make mistakes with Radulov and Markov? 100% yes

Were those mistakes caused by what he paid Shaw, and this meaning he didn't have money left over? No it wasn't 

Both of you are letting your bias against Shaw get in the way of rational analysis.  

Bergevin had the money to sign at least one of those players.  He struck out.  Thats a mistake on Bergevin and has nothing to do with Shaw or his contract. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin had the money to sign at least one of those players.  He struck out.  Thats a mistake on Bergevin and has nothing to do with Shaw or his contract. 

Why did he have the money to sign one and not both? HMMMMMM LET ME THINK ABOUT THIS ONE I GUESS I CAN'T WITH ALL THAT SHAW CAP CLOUDING MY BRAIN.

5 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Why did he have the money to sign one and not both? HMMMMMM LET ME THINK ABOUT THIS ONE I GUESS I CAN'T WITH ALL THAT SHAW CAP CLOUDING MY BRAIN.

He couldn't get either one.  Even with more cap he wouldnt have gotten both.  Hed have traded for erik gudbranson or some shit.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He couldn't get either one.  Even with more cap he wouldnt have gotten both.  Hed have traded for erik gudbranson or some shit.

Oh, he could have, but he didn't want to. There's a difference.

Fact is, having Shaw and Alzner put the team up near the cap. Remove them and there's breathing space to pay a little more on Markov and Radulov. Bergevin opted instead to pay trash like Shaw and Alzner over actual top six/top four players. As per usual.