Mar. 17, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

It's the matchup that CBC was surely hoping for when this game was originally scheduled - Curtis McElhinney vs Charlie Lindgren.  No Carey Price.  No Frederik Andersen.  No Auston Matthews.  No Max Pacioretty or Shea Weber.  No Leo Komarov or Nikita Zaitsev.  What a captivating matchup this will be...and if you don't think so, the word matchup will be drilled into our heads all night from Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson as without so many star players, you can be assured that matchups will be the forced narrative as Claude Julien and Mike Babcock try to outmatch the line matching.

Puck drop is around 7:15 and if it's the usual anthem singer in Toronto for this one, you'll want to keep it on mute until then.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Does no one on this team know how to clear out the front of the net for our goaltender?? 

I wish Lernout would make this his niche. 

He already looks like an insane viking, and if he acted like one in front of the net I think he'd have a job in the NHL for ~15 years.

• Like 1

I must have missed the memo when this was christened Andreas Johnsson night.  Every time he touches the puck, the announcers are fawning over him.  Even on Toronto's second goal, as soon as they scored, they panned over to Johnsson's reaction (from the bench).  He's having a decent game but let's not get stupid here...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I must have missed the memo when this was christened Andreas Johnsson night.  Every time he touches the puck, the announcers are fawning over him.  Even on Toronto's second goal, as soon as they scored, they panned over to Johnsson's reaction (from the bench).  He's having a decent game but let's not get stupid here...

Its Toronto media enough said.... They're just as bad as the Boston guys.

• Like 1

Lernout made one hit but it was in the corner.  Big Mike has been invisible except for sitting in the box.  Hudon looks out of tonight as well. Just a good tank night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pepsi said:

Lernout made one hit but it was in the corner.  Big Mike has been invisible except for sitting in the box.  Hudon looks out of tonight as well. Just a good tank night.

Yeah but to bad Vancouver and Ottawa cant win any games. Seems like they got this tank thingy down good.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Its Toronto media enough said.... They're just as bad as the Boston guys.

Living in TO, I have learned to mute the CBC/SN "homers".  They were like this when Toronto sucked, so its exponentially worse now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Leafs bias has been unusually egregious tonight. To be fair, with the Habs a basket case, only the Leafs are the really relevant team, and that's going to shape the "storylines" informing the broadcast. Nevertheless, fawning over Johnsson is just too much of a classic "Rah Rah Toronto!!" storyline to take. Typical Toronto, where everything that looks shiny for five seconds is hailed as the second coming of Wayne Gretzky.

I know I'm supposed to be cheering for the tank, but really...it's embarassing to be a fan of this POS team. They are a joke.

40 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

There will definitely be a thread for this at the end of the season, but does anyone see Benn on this team past the draft? 

Past the draft?  I think so.  At the start of next season?  I'm not as sure there.  I think he's the type of blueliner they keep as insurance in case they don't land whoever they target in a trade or free agency.  As much as he has struggled this year, he is on a cheap deal and can play both sides.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Past the draft?  I think so.  At the start of next season?  I'm not as sure there.  I think he's the type of blueliner they keep as insurance in case they don't land whoever they target in a trade or free agency.  As much as he has struggled this year, he is on a cheap deal and can play both sides.

I think Habs will be quite happy with Reilly and Valiev on the team next season, and I think Schlemko is harder to trade... that's why I give Benn a draft day expiration date.