2018 draft thread

Meller93

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I think this might be a good route. Pacioretty or Galchenyuk + top 6 first rounder + top 6 second rounder if a true number one center could be had. Wonder if that would get O'Reilly?  They have Eichel already.

I would not trade a top 6 pick for O'Reilly straight up.  

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Fortunately the game is played indoors.  A strong wind would blow the Lil feller all over the ice. 157 pounds? Unless I'm looking at old data.

That weight was taken at the beginning of the season.

He's 16, he's bound to add weight over this season, and next, and for a few years of pro hockey too. 

A 16 year old needing to add muscle?  Thats 99% of NHL prospects. 

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

How do you rank Barrett Hayton, a centre? 

He is playing Left Wing now, but has played centre most of the season.  He's probably a centre at the next level. 

He's in that tier 4 group.... I'd probably have Kotkaniemi and Veleno in front of him though.  Of the group... he has the best defensive game, but i think his offensive ceiling is the least. 

14 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think I agree with all of this except Tkachuk at Tier 3. I think he's getting overrated. 

I've seen him play a few times this year, he's the real deal. (Not that I'm some prospect expert, just looked like the best player by a mile)

If not Dahlin, I hope it's Tkachuk the Habs land.

23 hours ago, Metallica said:

If we don't get the 1st overall pick, should Bergevin look into trading the pick for a player to help now in this retool period we're going through?

Truth be told he should of traded that 3rd round pick for a player that could of helped us win instead of drafting galchenyuk.

I mean we have four 2nd round picks a top 5 pick (maybe) plus a 2nd could land us a top 4 Dman that we need now.

I would assume they would of inquired about trading Galchenyuk's pick and assume they would see again this year see who will pay what for a top 6 or 7 pick, but my guess is they will use and not trade the pick. 

Galchneyuk was a good sized skilled centre and I cant remember many complaining when he was picked. Especially once he was putting up 2points/game before joining the Habs after lock out and had a pro-rated 46pt pace rookie season.

But, as always, if some GM is willing to trade a Cory Schneider quality player for a #9 pick (Horvat), maybe some other GM will overpay for a #6 pick (Nugent-Hopkins?)?

1 hour ago, DON said:

I would assume they would of inquired about trading Galchenyuk's pick and assume they would see again this year see who will pay what for a top 6 or 7 pick, but my guess is they will use and not trade the pick. 

Galchneyuk was a good sized skilled centre and I cant remember many complaining when he was picked. Especially once he was putting up 2points/game before joining the Habs after lock out and had a pro-rated 46pt pace rookie season.

But, as always, if some GM is willing to trade a Cory Schneider quality player for a #9 pick (Horvat), maybe some other GM will overpay for a #6 pick (Nugent-Hopkins?)?

I don’t wouldn’t trade a high pick for the Nuge.  I’m pretty sure we could him AND a pick for Gallagher if we wanted to make that move.

giving up high draft picks is a recipe to become the milbury islanders or the Burke leafs - and were’re pretty close to being that bad as it is.

Our window to win a cup is closed I think, unless we can some how get tavares. but at the time of galchenyuk draft year it wasn't. I would of traded the pick for a Proven  center if not a top then a 2nd line center. We would of been better off, right now as a team. 

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Our window to win a cup is closed I think, unless we can some how get tavares. but at the time of galchenyuk draft year it wasn't. I would of traded the pick for a Proven  center if not a top then a 2nd line center. We would of been better off, right now as a team. 

Hindsight is 20/20.

And what centre was even available that year?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

You know...that centre that buffoon Bergevin missed on. Am sure was a centre or two traded sometime that year and a Sam Pollack would of had one of those of course.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

Just because nobody moved that year doesn't mean nobody was available. An actively shopped 3rd OA pick could have brought in some offers for otherwise unavailable players.

That still doesn't address the fact that its only in hindsight of what Galchenyuk has become that we can say we should have traded the pick for an existing NHL centre. 

But if we are going to play the hypothetical game, who is to say that the centre we acquire doesn't suddenly go all scott gomez on us and forget to score after we acquire him?  Who is to say that Galchenyuk doesn't become a star with different development in another organization?  I mean its all fine to say 5 years later that we should have made some hypothetical move that none of us even know was available... it doesn't mean it would have worked out. 

• Like 2

As I recall, pretty much everyone and his dog was ecstatic we drafted Galchenyuk. It is much, much more reasonable to say that the Habs mismanaged his development as a C than to say that drafting him was a mistake.

Incidentally, Galy's uneven progress is one of a large number of examples that should temper our enthusiasm for high draft picks. Yes, yes, of course it's good to get such picks. But any one high pick is far from being a guarantee of acquiring an elite NHLer, let alone a franchise cornerstone. We never seem to learn this lesson (as the prevalence of pro-'tankers' in all fanbases illustrates).

• Upvote 2

As a pro tanker let me be clear that it doesn't matter how many high picks you have if your management and pro development sucks. Look at Taylor Hall. He only had one season in Edmonton where he looked like why he was drafted first overall. Goes to New Jersey, nothing special in the first season because he doesn't have the Oiler out of him yet. Now he has everything from Edmonton out of his system and he looks like one of the best wingers in the game. And he was traded for Adam Larsson. It's crazy. 

So yes I want to tank long term but certainly not with this current front office. A tank with these guys is just as much a waste as a Cup run. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As I recall, pretty much everyone and his dog was ecstatic we drafted Galchenyuk. It is much, much more reasonable to say that the Habs mismanaged his development as a C than to say that drafting him was a mistake.

Incidentally, Galy's uneven progress is one of a large number of examples that should temper our enthusiasm for high draft picks. Yes, yes, of course it's good to get such picks. But any one high pick is far from being a guarantee of acquiring an elite NHLer, let alone a franchise cornerstone. We never seem to learn this lesson (as the prevalence of pro-'tankers' in all fanbases illustrates).

If I remember, several mock drafts the following years (if we redid the 2012 draft type things) had several folks saying Galchenyuk would've been the #1 overall pick. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

As a pro tanker let me be clear that it doesn't matter how many high picks you have ???

So yes I want to tank long term but certainly not with this current front office. A tank with these guys is just as much a waste as a Cup run. ???

Out to lunch post.

Habs haven't had high picks and is part of issue, having to pick mid-late 1st round every year; who can complain with Price, Galchenyuk and Sergachev, which are the only top ten picks they have had in last 13 years. 3 top pick in 13 years and you think that more wont matter?:bonk:

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

At 248 career points, Alex Galchenyuk is still the leading scorer of all players selected in the 2012 NHL Draft. 

Good timing in posting this because it won't be true in a few weeks. Filip Forsberg is 4 points behind in ~90 fewer games.

56 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Good timing in posting this because it won't be true in a few weeks. Filip Forsberg is 4 points behind in ~90 fewer games.

Fair enough, he'll still be second, and well ahead of third place.

I don't see the arguments that he was a bad pick. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again Galchenyuk is a star. in the making?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

At 248 career points, Alex Galchenyuk is still the leading scorer of all players selected in the 2012 NHL Draft. 

He would be at 300 if he played centre from day 1!:D

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Fair enough, he'll still be second, and well ahead of third place.

I don't see the arguments that he was a bad pick. 

Oh, and just to be clear I am not saying he was.

I just don't have anything against the argument that the pick should have been traded. I like Galchenyuk, and I think he could have been developed better to be our #1 centre, but the idea that trading that pick for an established centerman doesn't offend me.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Oh, and just to be clear I am not saying he was.

I just don't have anything against the argument that the pick should have been traded. I like Galchenyuk, and I think he could have been developed better to be our #1 centre, but the idea that trading that pick for an established centerman doesn't offend me.

my biggest issue is that hindsight is 20/20.  Is that what was argued at the time?

And how do you know you were getting the right guy.  Its a lot easier to say what you would have done 6 years after it happens, and knowing the outcome.

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

my biggest issue is that hindsight is 20/20.  Is that what was argued at the time?

And how do you know you were getting the right guy.  Its a lot easier to say what you would have done 6 years after it happens, and knowing the outcome.

I guess it's all in the phrasing, eh? If someone says

we should have traded the Galchenyuk pick for an established C

that can sound like retroactive backseat driving, as though the Habs were making a mistake at the time, based on the information then available. Which they weren't. However, if someone says,

in retrospect, maybe it would have been better to trade that pick for an established C

then it seems like fair comment. Although, again, if the Habs had developed him properly, even that remark wouldn't stand up.