2018 draft thread

Meller93

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

in retrospect, maybe it would have been better to trade that pick for an established C

But, you know it isn't posted like that often, seems always is more like your former phrase; 

we should have traded the Galchenyuk pick for an established C  

• 2 weeks later...

Pat Hickey in the Gazette today said that only Dahlin is NHL ready, so if we don't win the lottery there's no help coming in the draft.

Is that an accurate assessment? Are the consensus picks #2, 3 and 4 not NHL ready?

I don't follow the potential draft picks very closely so I'm deferring to those of you who do.

6 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Pat Hickey in the Gazette today said that only Dahlin is NHL ready, so if we don't win the lottery there's no help coming in the draft.

Is that an accurate assessment? Are the consensus picks #2, 3 and 4 not NHL ready?

I don't follow the potential draft picks very closely so I'm deferring to those of you who do.

McKenzie was also drooling over Dahlin, saying he will be NHLer and a good one next year.

Likely as per normal, several others will get a 9game looksee, but dont think any others appear ready to make an impact right away. Commandant would be better one to answer, but just my guess. 

But, another year in junior didn't hurt Sergachev or Mete one bit and typically draft isn't an instant fix for roster issues like Habs have (barring picking an elite McDavid, Matthews or the like).

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, REV-G said:

ya I think thats accurate.

only Dahlin is ready now, but I also think that if we could land in 2-3 this team would bring that player in next year.  The development path on this team for high end players does not run through laval, so if those players are too good for Junior hockey then learning with the big club is the best way to go.  I wish it weren't so but until Laval has a coaching change its the best way to handle the youngsters. 

It would be amazing if we could land another top 10 pick for Pacioretty, but that is just a pipe dream.  we would be able to remake our team within 2-3 years.

Dahlin is the only one who is clearly ready right now. 

Others are close though, it will depend on how they do in the summer and in training camp... but I'd expect one of Svechnikov, Zadina, etc.. to make it

1 hour ago, Davehab said:

It would be amazing if we could land another top 10 pick for Pacioretty, but that is just a pipe dream.  we would be able to remake our team within 2-3 years.

A 5th pick long shot find like Dallas got in Klingberg at 131st or 147th pick Gallagher, would help as well.

Drafting high school kids is just such a crap shoot, that no one could of predicted 2012 top pick group like Yakupov-Murray-Pouliot-Grigorenko-Girgensons-Reinhart-Kokkoek all would bust.

I would expect a top five pick could be as skilled as Pacioretty; but, to be an elite NHL scorer like Pacioretty is a different story.

These two wingers have tantalizing offense;

Svechnikov 40g 72gms, 5pts in 2 playoff games

Zadina 44g 57gms, 9pts in 5 playoff (he will be one of oldest 1st year eligible kids in this year's draft, but also was a rookie in the Q)

Both "could" become a 30+ goal scoring wingers in NHL, unlikely of course but only time will tell.

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

Basically similar outlook at draft as has already been noted by Commandant (but not much else to talk about as reg season dies);

https://www.draftsite.com/article/the-2018-nhl-draft-synopsis/741/

Only three players in 2017 played at least 20 games this year: the top two picks and Islanders fifth rounder Sebastian Aho. Who isn't the same as Hurricanes winger Sebastian Aho, but is the same Sebastian Aho who was twice ranked a Top 10 European skater in previous drafts and never taken. 

If we lose tomorrow, I think the highest we can possibly place is 27th because Vancouver and Arizona play each other.

Coming down to the wire looking like a decent chance at top 5 pick.

39 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

If we lose tomorrow, I think the highest we can possibly place is 27th because Vancouver and Arizona play each other.

Coming down to the wire looking like a decent chance at top 5 pick.

Detroit just needs 1 more victory and they are out of reach for the Habs.  If Detroit beats Montreal tommorow night in regulation, Habs can't catch them in the standings.  This combined with two Arizona victories in their last two games and Habs will finish below them as well.  Vancouver also needs 2 victories in their last 2 games to guarantee a finish above Habs.  Ottawa needs 5 points in their last 3 games to pass the Habs that would need to get 0 points in their last 2 games.  Buffalo can't pass Habs in the standings no matter what.  So the lowest the Habs can finish is second last as of right now.  The highest they can finish is 6th last.

After brief analysis, I predict we finish 29th. 

1 hour ago, John B said:

Detroit just needs 1 more victory and they are out of reach for the Habs.  If Detroit beats Montreal tommorow night in regulation, Habs can't catch them in the standings.  This combined with two Arizona victories in their last two games and Habs will finish below them as well.  Vancouver also needs 2 victories in their last 2 games to guarantee a finish above Habs.  Ottawa needs 5 points in their last 3 games to pass the Habs that would need to get 0 points in their last 2 games.  Buffalo can't pass Habs in the standings no matter what.  So the lowest the Habs can finish is second last as of right now.  The highest they can finish is 6th last.

If Ottawa wins both games in regulation or overtime (no shootout), they can pass the Habs with just 4 points. 

Seems draft things are really playing out well for Habs. Not good enough to offset 6 months of crap hockey, but with so little in stock to barter in trade for upgrades it might be best in long run.

Simply use every pick they got and help restock prospect pool and maybe can get a 2019 1st rounder for #67 (if he is to go). 

The last time Timmins-Habs had 2 1st rounders, Habs got two pretty good players.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so this seemed the most appropriate place.

What do you think about Jake Evans? MB said he wanted to sign him last year and expects to sign him in the next week or so.

How strong a centre prospect is he. Where do you think he will slot in in the NHL? 

Looking a lot like 4th overall pre-draft lotto. Besides the obvious choices in the top 3, were we to win the lotto, one of Brady Tkachuk, Adam Boqvist, or Quinn Hughes is very likely to be a Hab I think.

5 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Looking a lot like 4th overall pre-draft lotto. Besides the obvious choices in the top 3, were we to win the lotto, one of Brady Tkachuk, Adam Boqvist, or Quinn Hughes is very likely to be a Hab I think.

Habs pick 7th at worst.   The more I see of Tkachuk, the more I'm convinced he shouldn't be in the top 7.  I had him at 9th in my last update, and was close to move him back down to 10th or worse. 

He's just not getting it done in college... and when you look at his NTDP production, he's not close to as good as his brother was, there is like a 40 point difference.  Yes, Matthew had Auston Matthews, but that alone isn't worth 40 points. Then you get into the fact that Wahlstrom blows him out of the water, and that even Quinn Hughes is putting up more points and I'd be disappointed in Tkachuk that high. 

His skating is also not at the same level as the other guys in the top 7.

Take away his name and his family, and he's not as hyped as he has been. 

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Also 35th OA with our 2nd, 66th OA with our 3rd, 97th OA with our 4th, and 128th with our 5th.

Not to mention the other 2nds we have

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Habs pick 7th at worst.   The more I see of Tkachuk, the more I'm convinced he shouldn't be in the top 7.  I had him at 9th in my last update, and was close to move him back down to 10th or worse. 

He's just not getting it done in college... and when you look at his NTDP production, he's not close to as good as his brother was, there is like a 40 point difference.  Yes, Matthew had Auston Matthews, but that alone isn't worth 40 points. Then you get into the fact that Wahlstrom blows him out of the water, and that even Quinn Hughes is putting up more points and I'd be disappointed in Tkachuk that high. 

His skating is also not at the same level as the other guys in the top 7.

Take away his name and his family, and he's not as hyped as he has been. 

He doesn't blow me away either. I'd take Boqvist or Hughes over him for sure, and yes I think Wahlstrom too. If we drop to 7th I wouldn't be upset to get him there, but I agree, he's hyped quite a bit for the production.

44 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Not to mention the other 2nds we have

Yep, we'll know the placement of Chicago's 2nd and Edmonton's 4th tonight, and the placement of Toronto's 2nd, Washington's 2nd, and Winnipeg's 4th by the end of the playoffs.

Edit: Chicago's 2nd will be 38th OA, Edmonton's 4th will be 102nd OA

• Upvote 2