2018 draft thread

Meller93

Alex Alain is a free agent. He attended a few camps in 2015 and 2016 but nobody signed him. He's a 21 year old, which has a lot to do with his performance in the Q. He's had two pretty good seasons with the Armada so I'm sure he'll get a look with some but nothing tells me he's an NHLer. Will probably play in the ECHL unless he gets an offer in Europe.

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Hope he is at least better than his brother?

Laine (80g in 1st two years)? I call BS on that one.

Tarasenko seems more reasonable at least.

Svechnikov is better than his brother, and yes, I think he can be an elite NHL forward. 

It's a #2 pick behind a generational player... he nearly scored a goal per game in the OHL... his offensive talent checks every box from skating to shot to strength and power.  He's special. 

Let's not forget Laine was also a #2 overall pick.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Alex Alain is a free agent. He attended a few camps in 2015 and 2016 but nobody signed him. He's a 21 year old, which has a lot to do with his performance in the Q. He's had two pretty good seasons with the Armada so I'm sure he'll get a look with some but nothing tells me he's an NHLer. Will probably play in the ECHL unless he gets an offer in Europe.

He was at Montreal's camp as well last offseason so they got a good look at him then.

He has some offensive skills.  Is it enough to make the NHL, probably not, but still there is a chance. 

We have a bunch of extra contracts. 

I'd rather give them to guys like this, skilled but question marks, than to AHL grinders. 

You never know when one will work out like a Tyler Johnson. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He has some offensive skills.  Is it enough to make the NHL, probably not, but still there is a chance. 

We have a bunch of extra contracts. 

I'd rather give them to guys like this, skilled but question marks, than to AHL grinders. 

You never know when one will work out like a Tyler Johnson. 

Or wee Davey. 

16 hours ago, DON said:

5 more days till the big lottery. 

Will it be top three, or 5th/6th spot?

TSN Radio in Van runs a lottery simulator segment daily. Yesterday the Habs got the #1 pick. ? Slightly pathetically, I found myself a bit excited by this. :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

TSN Radio in Van runs a lottery simulator segment daily. Yesterday the Habs got the #1 pick. ? Slightly pathetically, I found myself a bit excited by this. :rolleyes:

Why?  MB would probably trade the pick to Minny to try and reunite the Suter-Weber pairing.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Isn't there enough material on screwups that MB actually has done, that we shouldn't have to make up stupid moves that he hasn't made to bash him with?

Its gotten old, and fast. 

It was tongue in cheek, obviously. And frankly no amount of MB-bashing is sufficient to suit me, after the garbage he's put us through for the past 3 years.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It was tongue in cheek, obviously. And frankly no amount of MB-bashing is sufficient to suit me, after the garbage he's put us through for the past 3 years.

Its just taking over every thread.

Still won't know where the Leafs 2nd round picks will land until after the next round of playoffs, but the worst it can be is 54th, and the best is 52nd.

For anyone else who cares a little too much about the difference between picking 52nd and 54th, join me in hoping for both the Penguins and Sharks to win their respective series. 

49 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Still won't know where the Leafs 2nd round picks will land until after the next round of playoffs, but the worst it can be is 54th, and the best is 52nd.

For anyone else who cares a little too much about the difference between picking 52nd and 54th, join me in hoping for both the Penguins and Sharks to win their respective series. 

Go pens sharks! We’re about to draft a kucherov there!

edit: kucherov was picked 58th so he’ll actually be a little better.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Penguins is a must win for us.  It helps our pick from the Caps too. 

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I would lean to, simply make the picks and hope can hit on a few NHLers.

From Habsprospects;

1st round pick, 4th overall (before lottery) - Montréal
2nd round pick, 35th overall - Montréal
2nd round pick, 38th overall - Montréal (from Chicago - Danault trade)
2nd round pick, TBD - Montréal (from Toronto - Plekanec trade)
2nd round pick, TBD - Montréal (from Washington - Eller trade)
3rd round pick, 66th overall - Montréal
4th round pick, 97th overall - Montréal (from Los Angeles via Montréal - King trade, Mitchell trade)
4th round pick, 102nd overall - Montréal (from Edmonton - Montoya trade)
4th round pick, TBD - Montréal (from Winnipeg - Morrow trade)
5th round pick, 128th overall - Montréal
6th round pick, 159th overall - Detroit (from Montréal - Ott trade)
7th round pick, 190th overall - Philadelphia (from Montréal - pick #199 traded for a 2018 7th round pick)
***order is not official***
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 8:29 PM, Meller93 said:

Go pens sharks! We’re about to draft a kucherov there!

edit: kucherov was picked 58th so he’ll actually be a little better.

Kucherov is yet another example of what the Habs have failed to do for several years - nab an elite, impact player outside of the high first round. We can do all the statistical analyses we want showing that the Habs reliably draft guys who play lots of NHL games, etc.; but the bottom line is that no amount of Charlie Hudons will equal one Kucherov.

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kucherov is yet another example of what the Habs have failed to do for several years - nab an elite, impact player outside of the high first round. We can do all the statistical analyses we want showing that the Habs reliably draft guys who play lots of NHL games, etc.; but the bottom line is that no amount of Charlie Hudons will equal one Kucherov.

Since Subban so 2007.

• Upvote 1

Trading two 2nds for Shaw in 2016,  a 2nd and a 4th for Petry in 2015 and a second for Vanek in 2014  didn't help our chances

Trading a 3rd and 4th to move up for Lernout in 2014 is not panning out . And let's not talk about Vejdemo

That 3rd round in 2014 did screw up whatever MB/ TT had done well the first and second years

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats a tad dramatic.

A third round in 2014 screwed up two years of draft work?

Meh vejdemo was a project as all third rounders are.  He isn't working.  Shit happens.

I meant going to the conference finals (3rd round playoffs) ... He He :)

I don't know much about Vejdemo except what I read on this board.  I hope he graduates with the Habs