2018 draft thread

Meller93

We already knew heading into the draft that there wouldn’t be any top centers as high as we would be drafting. Let’s keep our pick, draft Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk and then move on to free agency. 

If we did choose to trade our pick is there anyone that could be an option? 

I guess there are two possible paths. 

1. Trade for a young centre just coming into their own. But is there even anyone out there that fits that and would be available??

2. Trade for a Robert Thomas type player. Maybe a team would trade a very good prospect for another really good prospect if the fit for them position wise was better.

I agree totally with not trading a 3d pick for ROR. 

So back to the original question. Is there any young centre we could potentially trade for with our 3d pick, even if we had to add something to it? 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

well karlsson isn't playing centre in vegas. 

His shooting percentage is also off the charts. 

doubt he can replicate this. 

Well...whether or not he scores 43 (!) again, it's hard to believe he won't be a legit and productive top-6 guy for years to come. He also took over 800 faceoffs this year (although he was sub-50% in that role), so at the very least he is acquainted with the C position. I think it's quite safe to say Columbus screwed the pooch on this one. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well...whether or not he scores 43 (!) again, it's hard to believe he won't be a legit and productive top-6 guy for years to come. He also took over 800 faceoffs this year (although he was sub-50% in that role), so at the very least he is acquainted with the C position. I think it's quite safe to say Columbus screwed the pooch on this one. 

Marchessault centres the line. 

Just like Auston Matthews centres the line in Toronto. 

Nylander and Karlsson are both taking lots of faceoffs cause those are two teams that are switching who takes the faceoffs, so that a winger takes the faceoffs on one side of the ice and the centre on the other, so that they never take faceoffs on their forehand and are always on their backhand. 

• Upvote 1

As for the deal itself. 

Columbus gave Vegas Karlsson and a 1st round pick, and David Clarkson's money.  It was a money dump by a cheap organization as much as it was a hockey move. 

On 2018-05-01 at 1:57 AM, Commandant said:

Its a reach to take him before 9th IMO. 

He's got some good traits, but also has some skating concerns. 

Craig Button of TSN is saying that Kotkaniemi will be down to #5 on his draft ranking list by June and that Mtl should draft him at #3 overall.   Hmmm.....

6 hours ago, JGC21 said:

Craig Button of TSN is saying that Kotkaniemi will be down to #5 on his draft ranking list by June and that Mtl should draft him at #3 overall.   Hmmm.....

I would certainly move down:

Galcheynuk & Scherbak & 3rd overall for : D.Strome &and their 5th overall (for Kotkaniemi or Hughes or Veleno)

These trade proposals including our 3rd overall are terrible. Not only are we trading the 3rd overall, but we’re Adding Galchenyuks, Scherbaks and Paciorettys to sweeten the pot of our already sweet pot of 3rd overall. I’m not even huge into prospects but I want to keep the pick. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-05-01 at 11:43 AM, Commandant said:

I would not trade the #3 overall pick for a 27 year old, with 7.25 million on his contract who scores 55-65 points per year. 

No way. 

Not straight up at all. 

I keep getting my trades mixed up. I had DLR to sweeten the pot in addition to Chucky:

swap two 3rd overall and the 1st rounders. If that is not sufficient add DLR

I forget why I had Scherbak there 

Sharks and Penguins both lose their respective series, so the Leafs 2nd round pick (from the Plekanec trade) will be 56th OA. Washington's 2nd round pick (from the Eller trade) will be between 58th and 62nd, depending on the rest of their playoffs.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2018 at 1:19 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

These trade proposals including our 3rd overall are terrible. Not only are we trading the 3rd overall, but we’re Adding Galchenyuks, Scherbaks and Paciorettys to sweeten the pot of our already sweet pot of 3rd overall. I’m not even huge into prospects but I want to keep the pick. 

I tend to agree here

3rd overall is a gift, if teams want to move down to get it they are the ones who need to offer the moon and the stars. Not us dangling it out there like a well seasoned carrot acting like it is a very expendable gift horse. You keep that pick, you screw Button's list, and you pick Zadina, and enter the next phase of your plan knowing you have now added an elite winger in the mix, making wingers already on the team the ones you are willing to give to fill needs. The only reason to deviate from this plan is if someone makes an offer we can't refuse for that 3rd pick.

I am not even sure why we are debating how we can give this pick up for this, that, and the other thing, we don't want to make a trade with this pick, we want someone to blatantly overpay for it, or we use it, plain and simple in my books.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I tend to agree here

3rd overall is a gift, if teams want to move down to get it they are the ones who need to offer the moon and the stars. Not us dangling it out there like a well seasoned carrot acting like it is a very expendable gift horse. You keep that pick, you screw Button's list, and you pick Zadina, and enter the next phase of your plan knowing you have now added an elite winger in the mix, making wingers already on the team the ones you are willing to give to fill needs. The only reason to deviate from this plan is if someone makes an offer we can't refuse for that 3rd pick.

I am not even sure why we are debating how we can give this pick up for this, that, and the other thing, we don't want to make a trade with this pick, we want someone to blatantly overpay for it, or we use it, plain and simple in my books.

Agree.with almost all of this.

Quinn Hughes has been opening eyes at the world championships for team usa.  The way he is playing against nhl players... i might consider him over zadina.

He was great against canada.  If he keeps it up he has to be considered at 3.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agree.with almost all of this.

Quinn Hughes has been opening eyes at the world championships for team usa.  The way he is playing against nhl players... i might consider him over zadina.

He was great against canada.  If he keeps it up he has to be considered at 3.

He also was goat on Jake Evans last second winner vs Michigan wasn't he?

Either Svechnikov or Zadina should be our selection at 3.

We need goals and they are both elite at doing that.

I like Hughes and Kotkaniemi but we can't pass up on those two wingers.

I think we're better off trading Patch or someone else for a defenseman to play with Weber.

I'm really more interested in who we get in the 2nd round.

56 minutes ago, DON said:

He also was goat on Jake Evans last second winner vs Michigan wasn't he?

Not sure he played that wrong.  a forward should have picked up the trailer on the rush. 

That said, no chance Michigan is even playing at the final four without him. 

1 hour ago, EMELINATOR said:

Either Svechnikov or Zadina should be our selection at 3.

We need goals and they are both elite at doing that.

I like Hughes and Kotkaniemi but we can't pass up on those two wingers.

I think we're better off trading Patch or someone else for a defenseman to play with Weber.

I'm really more interested in who we get in the 2nd round.

TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

if Hughes is the best player, you take him.

The kid could be the next Brian Leetch.  Having that as a LD on our team is going to add offence.  A great puck moving defenceman adds as much offense to a team as a great winger. 

Most services have Zadina as the #3 right now... but if Hughes finishes this tournament the way he's started it, i have a feeling that at least a few will have him at #3.  He's been that good in the US' first three games... arguably the team's second best defenceman... as an 18 year old, on a team with NHLers. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not sure he played that wrong.  a forward should have picked up the trailer on the rush. 

That said, no chance Michigan is even playing at the final four without him. 

1 play means dick all, just thought it was him.

15 minutes ago, huzer said:

Well, with Tkachuk reportedly staying in school, we can scratch name from the list of temptations for Bergevin.

He has Character and Good Attitude in spades though.  It still scares me that Bergevin will draft him despite the fact he does not skate near as well, or score as much as the rest of the top prospsects

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

He has Character and Good Attitude in spades though.  It still scares me that Bergevin will draft him despite the fact he does not skate near as well, or score as much as the rest of the top prospsects

I had hoped his delay of an NHL jump might make Bergevin hesitate, but you're right. It could actually be further interpreted as having even MORE character by staying dedicated to college. Crap!