2018 draft thread

Meller93

3 hours ago, huzer said:

I had hoped his delay of an NHL jump might make Bergevin hesitate, but you're right. It could actually be further interpreted as having even MORE character by staying dedicated to college. Crap! 

Sad that we're having this discussion :mellow: It'd be nice to have a GM we trust to be minimally competent, as most of us did with Bob.

• Upvote 1

For those who follow the junior ranks closer, would Zadina be anywhere close the Laine prior to his draft?  

Just wondering with all the talk of whether we should trade our #3. 

3 hours ago, REV-G said:

For those who follow the junior ranks closer, would Zadina be anywhere close the Laine prior to his draft?  

I’m not a prospect expert but judging by their performances at the World Juniors, Laine is probably ahead of Zadina. Remember that Laine went second overall though and a better comparison to him might be Svechnikov who’s predicted to go second overall this year. I still think Laine is better than both. Zadina, in my opinion could be more promising than Pierre Luc Dubois though, who went third overall in Laine’s draft.

3 hours ago, REV-G said:

No one knows, Laine had 17g in 46 games in draft year...but was in a men's league. He also has one of, if not the best releases on shot in NHL.

Zadina played 25games in Czech and had 1g...then he played vs mostly high school kids and lit it up, but in a slightly weaker league like the Q, but also was a rookie in new country and rink size.

So would be darn hard for anyone to really compare those two.

Of course Commandant would have better opinion, as he follows them much closer and be a much better judge to answer, just my 2 cents. 

Svechnikov is comparable to Laine. 

I don't think Zadina is. 

I see a significant gap between 2 and 3. 

Zadina is closer to being in the group at 4, then he is at being with Svechnikov.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think Zadina is. 

Zadina is closer to being in the group at 4, then he is at being with Svechnikov.

The Russian's older brother looking like a bust after 64g in 100 Q games, give you any 2nd thoughts or absolutely irrelevant and older brother just never near as good?

4 minutes ago, DON said:

The Russian's older brother looking like a bust after 64g in 100 Q games, give you any 2nd thoughts or absolutely irrelevant and older brother just never near as good?

Irrelevant

But the older brother is 21.... its a little early to call a 21 year old a bust with 14 NHL games. 

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Irrelevant

But the older brother is 21.... its a little early to call a 21 year old a bust with 14 NHL games. 

Going by AHL year he had, cant see him doing more in NHL.

20g in 74 game season 

7g in 57games this year

Do you think he will develop at all, or more likely KHL bound if doesn't get much time with Wings this coming year?

He got hurt at Wings training camp and never looked right all year.  

Given the fact that both he and his brother came to North America at 16, I don't think they are going to pack it in easily. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He got hurt at Wings training camp and never looked right all year.  

Given the fact that both he and his brother came to North America at 16, I don't think they are going to pack it in easily. 

Did not know that, thanks.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't think Zadina is. 

If that's the case, then draft a centre 

• 2 weeks later...

For those that care about the Habs' draft positions outside the first 2 rounds, Winnipeg's 4th rounder that we got in the Joe Morrow trade will be 122nd oa.

Caps won tonight, so we continue to wait and see if their 2nd round pick will be 59th, 61st, or 62nd oa.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

For those that care about the Habs' draft positions outside the first 2 rounds, Winnipeg's 4th rounder that we got in the Joe Morrow trade will be 122nd oa.

Caps won tonight, so we continue to wait and see if their 2nd round pick will be 59th, 61st, or 62nd oa.

Thanks Trizzak, I like getting your updates

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Think is any chance he goes as high as 3rd? Impressive offensive #s and you have him at 6th eh.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2018/04/01/oliver-wahlstrom-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft-5/

There is a chance. 

I think Zadina is a little better, but its so close.  3-6 I don't see huge separation. 

Its Dahlin the clear #1, Svechnikov the clear #2, and then a bunch in there... Zadina, Hughes, Boqvist, Wahlstrom... I could see the Habs taking any of them... or they reach for Kotkaniemi,... or they say Tkachuk is attitude and character. 

I'd be happy with anyone i have 3-6, i wouldn't be happy with Kotkaniemi or Tkachuk.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Metallica said:

With our 4 2nd round picks is there a good center in the mid late rounds that we could trade up and draft? I would say 15-20

Better to just draft like three centres in the second round. Ty Dellandrea, Alex Khovanov, and David Gustaffson. Dellandrea is underrated and I consider a gem in the second round. Khovanov has boom/bust potential, and Gustaffson just needs someone to refine his edge work. All three have top six potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Better to just draft like three centres in the second round. Ty Dellandrea, Alex Khovanov, and David Gustaffson. Dellandrea is underrated and I consider a gem in the second round. Khovanov has boom/bust potential, and Gustaffson just needs someone to refine his edge work. All three have top six potential.

Sounds like an OK plan, but to dismiss every d-man and winger not matter how highly rated by Habs scouting group, is totally illogical.

If a d-man or winger is rated 90 and your top rated centre is rated 85, why would you draft the centre and pass up on a higher rated teenager? You don't.

With 4 second rounders, I want to take a chance on Jay O'Brien.  High school centre who looked great at the USHL top prospects game and played well in 7 games with the US NTDP. 

Yes, he's a project and hasn't faced a lot of high end potential yet... and that makes it risky... but this is a boom or bust pick.  Its the kind of risk you can afford when you have so many second rounders. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

With 4 second rounders, I want to take a chance on Jay O'Brien.  High school centre who looked great at the USHL top prospects game and played well in 7 games with the US NTDP. 

Yes, he's a project and hasn't faced a lot of high end potential yet... and that makes it risky... but this is a boom or bust pick.  Its the kind of risk you can afford when you have so many second rounders. 

I would be good with him as well. Needs time but the Habs have ton of it.