2018 draft thread

Meller93

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

Just read that central scouting has Tkachuk at #2 now? Well that would be just great if Carolina follows along with that ranking. 

Remember that CS has seperate lists for European players and North American players (based on where they play, not where born)

So Dahlin is ranked #1 by CS... and Svechnikov is also ranked #1 by CS

The more I research this, the more I am starting to wonder if Wahlstrom instead of Zadina is the way to go. 

I was pretty much set on Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina as 1 - 2- 3, but man does Wahlstrom look like an intriguing player who is messing with my Mind now the closer we get.

1 hour ago, DON said:

On June 23 Habs will have the 2012, 2013 & 2018 #3 picks playing for them.

You’re assuming that all three will be around once the 2018 #3 is ready to play.  I think Drouin will, not so sure about galchenyuk.

11 hours ago, Link67 said:

The more I research this, the more I am starting to wonder if Wahlstrom instead of Zadina is the way to go. 

I was pretty much set on Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina as 1 - 2- 3, but man does Wahlstrom look like an intriguing player who is messing with my Mind now the closer we get.

I would prefer Wahlstrom and probably also Hughes instead of Zadina. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I would prefer Wahlstrom and probably also Hughes instead of Zadina. 

Same here but I would swap picks and only if we can package one of our bad contracts and get a prospect back with the lower draft pick (Wahlstron, Hughes, ...)

We have an article coming next week (I didn't want to release it on American long weekend).

The math is pretty clear.... don't trade down with a top 3 pick.  keep the pick and take the best player available. 

This is where the difference makers in the draft are located, and your chances of getting a difference maker (you'll still get a good player just not a difference maker) decline a lot with each later pic in the top 10. 

That said, at the end of the first round, its better to have 2 seconds. 

but in the top few picks, always pick as high as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

We have an article coming next week (I didn't want to release it on American long weekend).

The math is pretty clear.... don't trade down with a top 3 pick.  keep the pick and take the best player available. 

This is where the difference makers in the draft are located, and your chances of getting a difference maker (you'll still get a good player just not a difference maker) decline a lot with each later pic in the top 10. 

That said, at the end of the first round, its better to have 2 seconds. 

but in the top few picks, always pick as high as possible. 

I'm struggling to think of a good example of someone dropping down their pick when in the Top 3/Top 5 and it working out. A great example of it not working out is 2004 when Columbus traded 4th overall to Carolina for 8th overall and 58th overall. Carolina drafted Andrew Ladd. Columbus drafted Alex Picard and Kyle Wharton. Maybe it would have worked for Columbus if they took Radulov instead but it was a deal that didn't work well at all.

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm struggling to think of a good example of someone dropping down their pick when in the Top 3/Top 5 and it working out. A great example of it not working out is 2004 when Columbus traded 4th overall to Carolina for 8th overall and 58th overall. Carolina drafted Andrew Ladd. Columbus drafted Alex Picard and Kyle Wharton. Maybe it would have worked for Columbus if they took Radulov instead but it was a deal that didn't work well at all.

The article looks at the actual value of each pick from the last 15 years (not just those traded), and looking at trade value charts. 

The charts seem to undervalue the difference between picks at the top of the draft and overvalue the difference later. 

On 2018-03-21 at 12:16 PM, Meller93 said:

I forgot about those simulators, and they’re way more fun than they should be hahaha. Habs #3 on the first role for me!

Prophet

• Like 1

Thoughts on Jack Drury? I think we should take him with ours or Chicago’s 2nd round pick.

Center who’s producing really well in the USHL, and very consistently, with a 22 game point streak at one point. Should be a solid 6 feet and 190+ when he’s done growing. We need to stock our center prospects.

I’d love to trade for EDMs pick, and then see Zadina, Kotkaniemi, and Drury picked.

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I like Drury, but I like him more with the Leafs and Capitals picks. 

There are better centres in the 30s IMO. 

Here's my list (done up to 60)

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

Even better if we can nab him late then. Our 3rd would be amazing, but I doubt he slips that far.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Interesting how much Evan Bouchard’s ranking changes from list to list. That might be the not elite skating affecting some scouts opinion.

He could slip to 12 or 13 and someone will probably be really happy to take him.

I actually really like Vitali Kravtsov too. Maybe the isles would be willing to trade 1 of their picks? 

35 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Knights fans threw a fit when he lost to Hague but like... come on.

Do you mean a good thing by threw a fit? Hague being a knight and all figured they’d be happy.

should Hague be back in juniors next year or could he make the golden knights ?

7 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Do you mean a good thing by threw a fit? Hague being a knight and all figured they’d be happy.

london fans

13 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Should have clarified, I meant London Knights fans threw a fit that Nic Hague (Golden Knights draft pick, Mississauga Steelhead) won OHL Defenceman of the Year over Evan Bouchard, even though Hague matched a 20 year old defenceman goal scoring record.

(The record he matched was of Chris Allen, whom I knew growing up. Allen had one of the best slap shots in the 90s.)

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Should have clarified, I meant London Knights fans threw a fit that Nic Hague (Golden Knights draft pick, Mississauga Steelhead) won OHL Defenceman of the Year over Evan Bouchard, even though Hague matched a 20 year old defenceman goal scoring record.

(The record he matched was of Chris Allen, whom I knew growing up. Allen had one of the best slap shots in the 90s.)

Ah, yea silly of London Knights fans not undertanding Hague taking that. What a season.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin says it's unlikely that they'll move 3rd overall unless they're blown away by a trade offer: https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-unlikely-to-part-ways-with-third-overall-pick-at-nhl-draft/c-298838500?tid=277764372

What a crock of an interview!!  Softball questions and no grilling on BA responses!!

We haven’t achieved the ultimate success yet?? We had some really good seasons?? We had a good playoff run??  Try one good season in 6.  

Not ready to give up on Drouin yet, but we have a need.  What about galchenyuk getting another shot at centre?? He’s at least played much better in his half year at centre than Drouin supposedly did in the s cons half last year.

• Upvote 1