2018 draft thread

Meller93

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What a crock of an interview!!  Softball questions and no grilling on BA responses!!

We haven’t achieved the ultimate success yet?? We had some really good seasons?? We had a good playoff run??  Try one good season in 6.  

Not ready to give up on Drouin yet, but we have a need.  What about galchenyuk getting another shot at centre?? He’s at least played much better in his half year at centre than Drouin supposedly did in the s cons half last year.

Bergevin is all Buzzwords and strange double standards.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What a crock of an interview!!  Softball questions and no grilling on BA responses!!

We haven’t achieved the ultimate success yet?? We had some really good seasons?? We had a good playoff run??  Try one good season in 6.  

Not ready to give up on Drouin yet, but we have a need.  What about galchenyuk getting another shot at centre?? He’s at least played much better in his half year at centre than Drouin supposedly did in the s cons half last year.

Another year down the the drain with this guy at the helm.

• Upvote 1

Thing is, the only stuff he can say IS bullsh*t. If he were honest, he would have to admit he is a wretched failure of a GM. Obviously he can't say that. So it's just a stream of bafflegab. Can you imagine the balderdash he spews in meetings with Molson? Come to think of it, philosopher Harry Franfurt has already written a book about those meetings:

https://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

1. He claims we had some really good seasons, we have finished 1st, 3rd, and 6th in the league during his time, pretty safe to call those really good seasons.

2. He claims we had 1 really good playoff, we went to the Conference Final once during his time, pretty safe to call that a really good playoff.

2013-2018.

3/6 "good" seasons.

1/6 "good" playoffs.

Based on that alone, he shouldn't have a job in Montreal.

20 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

2013-2018.

3/6 "good" seasons.

1/6 "good" playoffs.

That isn't the point, and if he lost his job I certainly wouldn't be mourning about it. 

2 minutes ago, Link67 said:

That isn't the point, and if he lost his job I certainly wouldn't be mourning about it. 

Your point was you couldn't understand why people were so fed up with the interview.

It's because a guy who hasn't fixed a centre situation in six years, and can only claim one good playoff year, is babbling about how things ain't so bad when he shouldn't have a job.

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Your point was you couldn't understand why people were so fed up with the interview.

It's because a guy who hasn't fixed a centre situation in six years, and can only claim one good playoff year, is babbling about how things ain't so bad when he shouldn't have a job.

So because we want him fired, we are supposed to ignore the fact that in that interview, he at least sounds like he is in a place of competency? that he won't trade the 3rd pick for a present day fix? that he believes speed is the key in today's NHL, which it is, and is also a 180 degree thought process from his 2017 deadline deals? That he acknowledges our need is at Center, publicly, which lends to the thought that he will at least be making an effort to fill that void this summer, when it feels like he hasn't in previous offseasons? 

Besides I am pretty sure he babbles on about Agony and Suffering through the season, and paying a heavy toll for this 3rd overall selection, not much in the way of we ain't that bad. He mentions that after some changes and players reverting to their usual selves, we could be back in the mix.

He isn't going anywhere, you can lament about it irrationally all you want, we can't fix his past mistakes, we can't make him get fired, we are at least living with him for another season, and going forward, if he sounds like someone on the path of doing the right things this off-season, then that is something to be positive about for once. 

16 minutes ago, Link67 said:

So because we want him fired, we are supposed to ignore the fact that in that interview, he at least sounds like he is in a place of competency?

Heard that one before.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-gm-bergevin-says-he-wont-trade-p-k-subban/

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

2013-2018.

3/6 "good" seasons.

1/6 "good" playoffs.

Based on that you would fire 3/4 of the GMs in the league then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Ya, sure wish he rambled on about how desperate he is for a centre and would kill to add a top four d-man also. He should just spill his guts and give his real opinion of each player on the team also.

Public needs to know this shite and what a maroon he is for not being more candid with press, just to appease the fans and give media and 30 other GMs something to chew on.

:tumbleweed:

I was fine with the interview as well. I’d like to keep our pick at 3rd overall. After all that suffering. 

• Like 1

At this point Bergevin could trade Alzner for Hedman straight up and still get roasted for it. When people have their pitchforks out, they don't put them away until they chase their target out of town. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, illWill said:

At this point Bergevin could trade Alzner for Hedman straight up and still get roasted for it. 

If he traded Alzner for anything better than say Jason Demers I will be the first to compliment him. 

But of course the fact he signed him in the first place doesn't get erased even if he gets rid of him. 

30 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If he traded Alzner for anything better than say Jason Demers I will be the first to compliment him. 

But of course the fact he signed him in the first place doesn't get erased even if he gets rid of him. 

If he managed to trade Shaw and Alzner for a bag of pucks I’d compliment him.  Still doesn’t make up for giving up two picks for Shaw in the first olace, or that I’d prefer eller to Shaw.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Link67 said:

So because we want him fired, we are supposed to ignore the fact that in that interview, he at least sounds like he is in a place of competency? that he won't trade the 3rd pick for a present day fix? that he believes speed is the key in today's NHL, which it is, and is also a 180 degree thought process from his 2017 deadline deals? That he acknowledges our need is at Center, publicly, which lends to the thought that he will at least be making an effort to fill that void this summer, when it feels like he hasn't in previous offseasons? 

Besides I am pretty sure he babbles on about Agony and Suffering through the season, and paying a heavy toll for this 3rd overall selection, not much in the way of we ain't that bad. He mentions that after some changes and players reverting to their usual selves, we could be back in the mix.

He isn't going anywhere, you can lament about it irrationally all you want, we can't fix his past mistakes, we can't make him get fired, we are at least living with him for another season, and going forward, if he sounds like someone on the path of doing the right things this off-season, then that is something to be positive about for once. 

So he realized 4 years after the rest of the league did that speed is important???  Really??  He didn’t realize this before signing Alzner who is too slow to even be a pylon???

ive got nothing against his responses - it’s the same crap we’ve been fed since he got there.  What I don’t get is the idiotic interviewer.  If I was interviewing him and got gems like how speed is important response from that moron, the first question I’d ask is why did you sign Alzner if speed is so important??  What was the rationale of the big 4 deadline trades a few years ago that netted us the useless Ott and 3 or 4 other unmemorable useless grunts on a team that would probably get outscored by most AHL teams??

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If he managed to trade Shaw and Alzner for a bag of pucks I’d compliment him.  Still doesn’t make up for giving up two picks for Shaw in the first olace, or that I’d prefer eller to Shaw.

I like shaw more than Eller.  He wins more puck battles and uses his speed very well. He is a bit over paid bit shaw is not why montreal has lost.  

Alzner is a different story.  I hope he will have a better 18-19, but that guy isn't worth more than 2 mill for 3 years. 

15 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I like shaw more than Eller.  He wins more puck battles and uses his speed very well. He is a bit over paid bit shaw is not why montreal has lost.  

Alzner is a different story.  I hope he will have a better 18-19, but that guy isn't worth more than 2 mill for 3 years. 

No single player is the reason Montreal lost, but Shaw was clearly signed to be a top nine player with powerplay time and that's not a role he can ever properly handle. Even in the bottom six he's getting powerplay time. He shouldn't get a second of it unless filling for injury. Being overpaid and costing too much in a trade is why Shaw is a problem. We also had absolutely no need for him. He's a poor man's Gallagher that takes more penalties.

Alzner is a negative asset. No matter what you pay him, it's too much.

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Shaw had a very good year, minus the injuries. 

the habs are a team with zero grit, they need several "Shaw" type player. 

They need players who can score goals and create offense. The  Shaw's of the game get put in place after you have a top 6

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No single player is the reason Montreal lost, but Shaw was clearly signed to be a top nine player with powerplay time and that's not a role he can ever properly handle. Even in the bottom six he's getting powerplay time. He shouldn't get a second of it unless filling for injury. Being overpaid and costing too much in a trade is why Shaw is a problem. We also had absolutely no need for him. He's a poor man's Gallagher that takes more penalties.

Alzner is a negative asset. No matter what you pay him, it's too much.

Shaw is an excellent but overpaid 4th liner that whenever paired with Byron's cheaper contract kind of balances out. He can be put on other lines for short stints and will not be a liability. If Gahllager gets injured, he can step up in that role 

I like what he brings when healthy and the two 2nd round picks traded for him are lost

Alzner is a cap problem. He should do well on less minutes with Petry now that Weber is back

I agree about the top 6,

Shaw is a 3rd liner. he was on pace for 20 goals

Having no top 2 centers and 1 top 4 dman is the habs problem, for like 20 years now

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

I agree about the top 6,

Shaw is a 3rd liner. he was on pace for 20 goals

If your ideal powerplay doesn't have Shaw but a more skilled player on it, this would be Shaw's stats in the past two seasons:

2016-17: 11 even strength goals, 22 even strength points in 68 games

2017-18: 5 even strength goals, 13 even strength points in 51 games

At $3.9M per season. And if your ideal powerplay has him on it? Our standards are different.