2018 draft thread

Meller93

31 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No single player is the reason Montreal lost, but Shaw was clearly signed to be a top nine player with powerplay time and that's not a role he can ever properly handle. Even in the bottom six he's getting powerplay time. He shouldn't get a second of it unless filling for injury. Being overpaid and costing too much in a trade is why Shaw is a problem. We also had absolutely no need for him. He's a poor man's Gallagher that takes more penalties.

Alzner is a negative asset. No matter what you pay him, it's too much.

That's fine but eller should not be top 6 or PP either.  I'm just saying t ok me shaw is not really an issue. I wasnt happy when he was signed.  I started a thread right away saying he was overpaid for too much term. But after watching him play, I like him as a 3rd liner. He is overpaid by about a million so was eller. He cost 2 seconds. So did eller. He is mis cast as a top 6er. So was eller. I like shaw more because of his work ethic, ability to win puck battles. Shaw is not a 4th liner. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

That's fine but eller should not be top 6 or PP either.  I'm just saying t ok me shaw is not really an issue. I wasnt happy when he was signed.  I started a thread right away saying he was overpaid for too much term. But after watching him play, I like him as a 3rd liner. He is overpaid by about a million so was eller. He cost 2 seconds. So did eller. He is mis cast as a top 6er. So was eller. I like shaw more because of his work ethic, ability to win puck battles. Shaw is not a 4th liner. 

I mean... yeah, that's why I've always stuck to that we should have traded Eller (good trade) and never tried trading for Shaw. That $3.5M could have been used elsewhere better. In a choice between the two I want neither, get two second rounders, and keep our second rounders.

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Shaw scares me. I think he's on the verge of being damaged goods, with all of these head injuries 

Alzner is a prime example of character trumping talent. 

Funny how the caps are doing much better without his character.

• Upvote 2

The Shaw comparison to Eller should be moot considering Danault was supposed to be the one to fill Eller’s role.

As for Ott, Martinsen, King et al., we’re complaining about Bergevin having picked up those players as opposed to having done nothing. That was a terrible trade deadline and yet people still harp on it. As though Stafford, Vrbata or Eaves would have made such a huge difference on our team.

As for Martinsen for Andrighetto... I remember being one of the few, if not the only one, sad to see him go. There were basically no comments stating that it was a terrible move.

When Alzner was signed, I wasn’t pleased. But I did acknowledge that he was basically the most sought after free agent draft pick. When we signed him, we had people who are now complaining about him, discuss how Weber and Alzner could be one of the elite shut down pairs. I sincerely never bought into that myself, but a lot of this complaining is revisionist, as well as expecting the impossible. 

I didn’t love Sergachev for Drouin as well, just so peole don’t think I like everything that happens... but then again most people once again did like that move.

18 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

As for Ott, Martinsen, King et al., we’re complaining about Bergevin having picked up those players as opposed to having done nothing. That was a terrible trade deadline and yet people still harp on it. As though Stafford, Vrbata or Eaves would have made such a huge difference on our team.

As for Martinsen for Andrighetto... I remember being one of the few, if not the only one, sad to see him go. There were basically no comments stating that it was a terrible move.

When Alzner was signed, I wasn’t pleased. But I did acknowledge that he was basically the most sought after free agent draft pick. When we signed him, we had people who are now complaining about him, discuss how Weber and Alzner could be one of the elite shut down pairs. I sincerely never bought into that myself, but a lot of this complaining is revisionist, as well as expecting the impossible. 

Honestly, nothing was better than the trash fires we decided to bring in. Better experience for the young kids in the playoffs was better than a bunch of awful grinders. Your memory isn't perfect since some disliked it, some thought it was nothing for nothing, and one person in Lovett, well, loved it: http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?/topic/25715-habs-trade-sven-andrighetto-to-colorado/

"Most sought after free agent pick" I swear I could switch Alzner for David Clarkson and you're saying the same thing Leafs fans said about that signing. That's not a valid excuse for making a bad decision.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I read the Hurricanes may have some interest in drafting Tcachuk at #2, 

That would be a nice gift for the habs. 

Where did you see this? Svechnikov would be incredible. I’m in favour of trading up to #2 if the canes are willing to part with it

20 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Where did you see this? Svechnikov would be incredible. I’m in favour of trading up to #2 if the canes are willing to part with it

Likely the recent interview by the Hurricanes where they talked about the positives of Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and Zadina.

43 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I’m in favour of trading up to #2 if the canes are willing to part with it

Too expensive, rarely happens that high in draft, #3 wont be chopped liver player and just think odds of that are almost nil.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I have no idea what the Canes are going to do.  That franchise may have gone looney.

Sure you do. They are taking Svechnikov with #2 pick.

51 minutes ago, DON said:

Too expensive, rarely happens that high in draft, #3 wont be chopped liver player and just think odds of that are almost nil.

If the canes are open to trading the pick, and we have the #3 pick, I don’t see it being too expensive potentially.

43 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

If the canes are open to trading the pick, and we have the #3 pick, I don’t see it being too expensive potentially.

Anything is possible and I think every GM, aside from Sabres, should be open to trading their pick for the "right" deal. I just think Habs will be making the 3rd pick.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Anything is possible and I think every GM, aside from Sabres, should be open to trading their pick for the "right" deal. I just think Habs will be making the 3rd pick.

I think you’re right, I just want the second really badly hahah. I like Svechnikov as a prospect quite a bit more than Zadina