2018 draft thread

Meller93

Yeah, I'd go with Hughes IF there really is no separation between him and Zadina. Unless you think Kotkaniemi is a potential #1C, you don't pass on superior talent to fill a positional hole - especially given that the hole on LD is equally crippling as the hole at C.

12 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Does that not seem like a dicey pick taking kotkaniemi

It's risky, no doubt.  But if the scouts think he could be a front-line centre, I think they'd roll the dice on taking him perhaps a pick or two early.  How many times has Bergevin said the only way to get top centres is to draft them?  This is their chance to do so, even if it's not a centre-heavy top end of the first round.

20 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I am really not sold on Kotkaniemi. I mean I'm sold on the possibility of him as an NHLer but not as a third overall pick.

I would much rather shoot for the second round centres and try for a centre in 2019.

It’s part of the reason I want Zadina, although that doesn’t sound like a very good reason.

Names like Kotkaniemi and Hughes are coming up because they are C and LD respectively. Hughes is solid but there are also other good defenseman like Boqvist and Dobson and yet those names are not even considered because they are right shooting D. 

I believe that it’s a slight exaggeration to

say that Zadina and Hughes are 3a and 3b and that this idea has come to fruition since Hughes is an amazing defenseman who happens to have a left handed shot.

Zadina is 3-4

Hughes is 4-8

Kotkaniemi is like 5-11

This is how I view it at least. If that makes Hughes or Kotkaniemi and option, alrighty then. 

It also ignores players like Wahlstrom, Boqvist and Tkachuk who are in a similar group to Hughes. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s part of the reason I want Zadina, although that doesn’t sound like a very good reason.

Names like Kotkaniemi and Hughes are coming up because they are C and LD respectively. Hughes is solid but there are also other good defenseman like Boqvist and Dobson and yet those names are not even considered because they are right shooting D. 

If the Habs draft Hughes I hope we bomb 2019 to get his brother. Otherwise I feel like not taking the guy who said he wants Montreal to draft him in Zadina could backfire. We do need a RW. No guarantee on Scherbak and no guarantee Gallagher will still be top six quality in five years. If Gally gets hurt again we are running Scherbak and Shaw in the top six. Yikes.

15 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If the Habs draft Hughes I hope we bomb 2019 to get his brother. Otherwise I feel like not taking the guy who said he wants Montreal to draft him in Zadina could backfire. We do need a RW. No guarantee on Scherbak and no guarantee Gallagher will still be top six quality in five years. If Gally gets hurt again we are running Scherbak and Shaw in the top six. Yikes.

Go BPA for sure.

The complication only kicks in if we start to question whether Zadina is in fact BPA at #3.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Go BPA for sure.

The complication only kicks in if we start to question whether Zadina is in fact BPA at #3.

The only forward I like more is Svech. Commandant follows closer than I do and I know he's very high on Hughes, but Kotkaniemi just reminds me of the kind of centres you see as a gamble all the time between 11 and 20. The Eller/Sutter/Bjugstad/Faksa types who you hope find that second gear but a lot of times they don't. Maybe I'm underrating him, maybe he ends up more like Anze Kopitar and drafting him wherever is the right thing to do, but I just don't feel it. And like  xXx CK xXx said, the hype for him started when people said the Habs needed a centre. If he passes teams like Detroit and Arizona, I'll feel right that this was hype for the Habs (similar to Teuvo Teravainen getting 3rd overall hype in 2012 because he's a Finn and reminded people of Saku, only for him to drop to 18th. Had a damn good year though.)

The way things are looking right now with Bobby Mac having Kotkaniemi in the top 5 and Dobson ranked as the #2 defender behind Dahlin, I think it’s safe to assume one of these players will be selected 3rd next week.

Obviously there’s a chance Zadina and Hughes get picked as well but at this point it’s doubtful.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

The way things are looking right now with Bobby Mac having Kotkaniemi in the top 5 and Dobson ranked as the #2 defender behind Dahlin, I think it’s safe to assume one of these players will be selected 3rd next week.

Obviously there’s a chance Zadina and Hughes get picked as well but at this point it’s doubtful.

Pretty sure Bob Mackenzie is not going to dictate in any way shape or form who Trevor Timmins is going to be picking 3rd overall this year. He has a guy I am sure he is locked in on, and short of a trade happening that changes what order we are picking, he is extremely likely to stick to his own agenda.

• Upvote 1

The volatility in McKenzies list and the amount these guys have moved from his last top 15 (just before the lottery) just shows how close the guys are from 3-9

not a lot of separation, so Timmins could do anything

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Pretty sure Bob Mackenzie is not going to dictate in any way shape or form who Trevor Timmins is going to be picking 3rd overall this year. He has a guy I am sure he is locked in on, and short of a trade happening that changes what order we are picking, he is extremely likely to stick to his own agenda.

I don’t think it will dictate anything but it falls in line with what the Habs have been saying about picking who they see as the best player long term, as well as Zadina’s up front remarks about the Habs having more interest in a D or a C.

Bobs recent comments reinforce that line of thought is all. 

On 2018-06-15 at 1:49 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I am really not sold on Kotkaniemi. I mean I'm sold on the possibility of him as an NHLer but not as a third overall pick.

I would much rather shoot for the second round centres and try for a centre in 2019.

Not sure if it was mentioned but who are centres in this draft that look promising after Kotkaniemi and Veleno?

23 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned but who are centres in this draft that look promising after Kotkaniemi and Veleno?

Most of the centers are ranked in the mid first round and beyond.  Hayton is arguably the next best center after Kotkoniemi and Veleno.  Lundestrom is in the mix too. 

I'm looking forward to the second round.  I think there are some centers that could become very good if they are developed properly.

On 2018-06-16 at 11:54 AM, dlbalr said:

Burke isn't with an NHL team anymore but he still has a bunch of connections in the league.

I’m willing to bet that MB had discussions with Arizona during the Domi/Galchenyuk trade about swapping 1st round picks.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see MTL trade the 3rd overall for ARI’s 5th overall & one of their 3rd rounders - MB is waiting until the draft to see if CAR takes Svechnikov.  If they do, then I predict the following:

1. Dahlin - BUF

2. Svechnikov - CAR

3. Zadina - ARI

4. Tkachuk - OTT

5. Kotkaniemi - MTL

Montreal gets their future 1C and an extra pick in the third round.  Kotkaniemi was their guy all along IMO.

21 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

I’m willing to bet that MB had discussions with Arizona during the Domi/Galchenyuk trade about swapping 1st round picks.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see MTL trade the 3rd overall for ARI’s 5th overall & one of their 3rd rounders - MB is waiting until the draft to see if CAR takes Svechnikov.  If they do, then I predict the following:

1. Dahlin - BUF

2. Svechnikov - CAR

3. Zadina - ARI

4. Tkachuk - OTT

5. Kotkaniemi - MTL

Montreal gets their future 1C and an extra pick in the third round.  Kotkaniemi was their guy all along IMO.

I don’t see it happening with how many picks we have in the second round. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t see it happening with how many picks we have in the second round. 

Maybe.  Or instead of a pick MTL gets Duclair and ARI’s 5th overall pick for their 3rd overall pick?

Bah, the anticipation and speculations is killing me!

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why would we get a blackhawks player (duclair) for that?

Crap, meant Dauphin or some other C prospect that might be of interest to MB.

Or they swap 2nd rounders... my point is I bet MB is not done dealing with ARI.  It just feels there could be more to the discussions that took place when Domi for Galchenyuk was completed.

15 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Bergevin literally said it was a 1 for 1 trade. Nothing more 

Yes, that was the trade.  Doesn’t mean they didn’t discuss other items as well.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎16 at 8:33 PM, JGC21 said:

here are some of top centres
View:  Standard • Sortable
Rnd. Pick   Team Player Position ▴ School Height Weight
1 3 Montreal Jesperi Kotkaniemi C Assat Pori (SM-liiga) 6' 2" 181
1 11 NY Islanders Barrett Hayton C Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) 6' 1.25" 190
1 13 Dallas Joe Veleno C Drummondville (QMJHL) 6' 1" 194
1 18 Columbus Rasmus Kupari C Karpat Oulu (SM-liiga) 6' 1.5" 188
1 19 Philadelphia Isac Lundeström C Lulea HF (SHL) 6' 0.25" 183
1 27 Chicago Trade Icon Ty Dellandrea C Flint (OHL) 6' 0.25" 184
1 29 St. Louis Trade Icon Akil Thomas C Niagara (OHL) 5' 11.25" 177
1 31 Washington Ryan McLeod C Mississauga (OHL) 6' 2.25" 206
2 39 NY Rangers Jonatan Berggren  C Skelleftea (SHL) 5' 10" 183