2018 draft thread

Meller93

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As much as it wouldnt be my pick, there is a bit of sentimental appeal in the Habs having a Finnish first line centre that i could get behind.

Think he has legit 1st line C upside?

Would be amazing, I’m still really torn on Zadina/DobsonHughes/Kotkaniemi. Now Bob has Tkachuk at 3. You were right when you said earlier in the year the rankings past two are completely up in the air.

4 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Would be amazing, I’m still really torn on Zadina/DobsonHughes/Kotkaniemi. Now Bob has Tkachuk at 3. You were right when you said earlier in the year the rankings past two are completely up in the air.

Hughes one and Kotkaniemi two looks pretty good for the habs in 4 years but we need to blow up the team now. No more retool that we do every 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Could he be a first line centre?  If development goes right and he reaches his ceiling... yeah.

Is he going.to be in that upper echelon of #1 cs like crosby tavares mcdavid matthews mackinnon etc... getting 85+ points.  Probably not

In other words if hes your first its passable but probably not enough to win a cup unless other areas of the team are stacked.  If hes your #2 you are in real good shape.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That said... mckenzie said that one of the scouts said he can be as good as kopitar.  So maybe hes got more potential than i think.

I did read that, hoping for the best then if he is the pick at #3.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That said... mckenzie said that one of the scouts said he can be as good as kopitar.  So maybe hes got more potential than i think.

Kopitar? that changes things... I was seeing him more as Bjugstad or Mikko Koivu type, with the potential to surpass both if all goes very well with his development.

One thing is for sure, his stats pale in comparison to a guy like Barkov as a 17 year old playing pro hockey in Finland, so he ain't on that level by the look of it.

8 hours ago, Metallica said:

So the question is Zadina, Kotkaniemi or tkachuk? 

Either is fine and the reason I think the CH may trade down

thesen3 player seem to be relentless in pursuit of the puck. I think the CH wants to have as many players that play like Gallagher

I like Zadina best

10 hours ago, Metallica said:

So the question is Zadina, Kotkaniemi or tkachuk? 

Or one of 4 d-man (Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, Boqvist) or Wahlstrom.

Or trade down for Hayton or Velano or Ty Smith.

I still want to pick Zadina and attempt to pick up another top 10 pick, possibly by trading Pacioretty, and then select Hughes or Kotkaniemi.

Zadina is probably BPA so we get him, and then address organizational needs. That YouTube video of Kotkaniemi actually makes him look like a great player. Would love to have him, but would prefer not to reach for him.

What if the Habs traded for pick just outside the top ten.  Islanders have the 11th and 12th picks.  Veleno and Hayton should still be there.  They are not Kotkoniemi, but they should be two good/solid top 6 centers at the NHL level.  Do the Habs have anything that the Islanders would be interested in enough to part with one of those two picks?

8 minutes ago, John B said:

What if the Habs traded for pick just outside the top ten.  Islanders have the 11th and 12th picks.  Veleno and Hayton should still be there.  They are not Kotkoniemi, but they should be two good/solid top 6 centers at the NHL level.  Do the Habs have anything that the Islanders would be interested in enough to part with one of those two picks?

Pacioretty. 

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

The @CanadiensMTL management had dinner in Buffalo a few days ago with Brady Tkachuk. No final decision yet on who’s going to be the Habs first pick, but Brady is still a candidate. #tvasports

Slow habs news day for them, I'm sure they have taken out a few guys that could potentially go no 3.

1 hour ago, Habinator33 said:

Slow habs news day for them, I'm sure they have taken out a few guys that could potentially go no 3.

Kotkaniemi and Tchuck only ones I heard of going to dinner.

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

Can we just forget Tkachuk exists and worry about who we are picking between Zadina, Kotkaniemi, and Hughes?

BUT, Tkachuk is rated 3rd by Mackenzie scouts poll and cant simply say forget about him, especially given a free meal by Molson may mean 'something' or simply wanted a 2nd chance to speak to him and only way?

I would be fine with Tkachuk chosen...but Zadina they say could be best "pure goal scorer" in draft and I think that would be hard to pass over.

2 hours ago, DON said:

BUT, Tkachuk is rated 3rd by Mackenzie scouts poll and cant simply say forget about him, especially given a free meal by Molson may mean 'something' or simply wanted a 2nd chance to speak to him and only way?

I would be fine with Tkachuk chosen...but Zadina they say could be best "pure goal scorer" in draft and I think that would be hard to pass over.

Tkachuk at 5th if Kotkaniemi is not available, I am still hoping Arizona and Montreal swap picks and that we get Chychrun ( more dreaming than hoping) for that

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm honestly fine with anyone in my top 8

lastwordonhockey.com/2018-Nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

no tkachuk, no bouchard please

Why down on, or not fond of Tkachuk as a pick?