2018 draft thread

Meller93

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Here's HW's mock draft, featuring the 1st round as well as Montreal's next six selections: http://www.habsworld.net/2018/06/2018-habsworld-mock-draft/

Thanks Brian.

If the rumours are true about Max for Ryan could Montreal’s selection change from Kotkaniemi to Zadina because of it?

32 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

If the rumours are true about Max for Ryan could Montreal’s selection change from Kotkaniemi to Zadina because of it?

If the speculative linking turns out to be true, I think it could change things from Kotkaniemi to a winger if they're not sold on Kotkaniemi being a 1C. Whether that's Zadina or Tkachuk is up for debate.  If they think he's for sure a 1C though, I think they'd still go with the Finn.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If the speculative linking turns out to be true, I think it could change things from Kotkaniemi to a winger if they're not sold on Kotkaniemi being a 1C. Whether that's Zadina or Tkachuk is up for debate.  If they think he's for sure a 1C though, I think they'd still go with the Finn.

Here we go again, drafting centers to play wing. Didn't we just go through this drama???

If we're drafting Kotkaniemi its because he's going to play center.

If we trade Pacioretty for O'Reilly that means they don't draft Kotkaniemi but draft Tkachuk to replace Pacioretty on the left side.

Tkachuk  - Tavares  - Gallagher 

Domi - O'Reilly  - Drouin 

Lehkonen  - Danault  - Shaw 

Byron  - Rose  - Scherbak 

Not to bad if Bergevin can pull this off.

17 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Here we go again, drafting centers to play wing. Didn't we just go through this drama???

If we're drafting Kotkaniemi its because he's going to play center.

If we trade Pacioretty for O'Reilly that means they don't draft Kotkaniemi but draft Tkachuk to replace Pacioretty on the left side.

Poor wording on my part.  I wasn't actually suggesting that they'd draft Kotkaniemi to put him on the wing.  I was suggesting that their plans could change from picking him to a winger if they weren't 100% sold on Kotkaniemi's potential to be a 1C.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Poor wording on my part.  I wasn't actually suggesting that they'd draft Kotkaniemi to put him on the wing.  I was suggesting that their plans could change from picking him to a winger if they weren't 100% sold on Kotkaniemi's potential to be a 1C.

This draft they have to be bang on with the players they're drafting.  If they're unsure of a player walk away don't take the risk. This is a make or break draft for Bergevin and company.

11 hours ago, Metallica said:

If they're unsure of a player walk away don't take the risk. 

Really? I want them to do the opposite and swing for fences in 2nd round, go for kids with big upside even if have big question marks. Such as small fast d-men/forwards or skilled forwards who back check like Brett Hull, play a lot of video games;), or may have some glaring hole(s) in overall game.

My top 10 picks since I have nothing other than free time...

1) Buffalo Sabres: Dahlin

2) Carolina Hurricanes: Svechnikov

3) Montreal Canadiens: Zadina

4) Ottawa Senators: Hughes 

5) Arizona Coyotes: Tkachuk 

6) Detroit Red Wings: Boqvist

7) Vancouver Canucks: Kotkaniemi 

8) Chicago Blackhawks: Wahlstrom 

9) New York Rangers: Dobson 

10) Edmonton Oilers: Ty Smith

15 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I would almost guartunee Montreal doesn't pick Zadina. As much as I think he's as good a pick as any 

I agree I think its either Kotkaniemi or tkachuk. If they trade Pacioretty for a #1 center then they're going to draft tkachuk to fill the LW hole.

Tkachuk is a good prospect, and if they took him he’d probably be the best one we have. Still, I hope Montreal doesn’t take him unless they move down a solid 7 spots. Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, and maybe Whalstrom are ahead for me.

21 minutes ago, Davehab said:

Isn’t Whalstrom listed as a rw/c?   Why is no one taking about him being a great center and scorer 

Because he played RW almost exclusively this season

He's a wing

He was about half and half as 16-year-old but its clear now he's a wing

Well, today is the day that many were hoping for during the pathetic season we just had. This pick is supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel during that forgettable time.

Go Habs go!?

19 minutes ago, illWill said:

Well, today is the day that many were hoping for during the pathetic season we just had. This pick is supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel during that forgettable time.

Go Habs go!?

I really felt like they would take Kotkaniemi, but I'm thinking it's going to be Tkachuk now 

24 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I really felt like they would take Kotkaniemi, but I'm thinking it's going to be Tkachuk now 

Yeah I am thinking tkachuk also especially if we trade Pacioretty for a center.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Yeah I am thinking tkachuk also especially if we trade Pacioretty for a center.

I think that might be the plan..... I don't know if Buffalo wants Pacioretty, just for the fact i don't think he would re sign there, but some type of deal for Pacioretty and ROR makes sense.

I don't pretend to follow prospects. But everything I hear about Tkachuk suggests he is a prototypical Bergevin type: not especially fast, not the most talented player available, but just oozing with 'intangibles.' A great pick for a 1990s squad and therefore precisely what MB covets. So my theory is, he's the guy.