2018 draft thread

Meller93

4 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I think that might be the plan..... I don't know if Buffalo wants Pacioretty, just for the fact i don't think he would re sign there, but some type of deal for Pacioretty and ROR makes sense.

Max is from NY state (I think)so maybe playing close to home might be good after playing a year? maybe but then again I think he got gran parents in Cali and other fams in Florida so who knows what the man want

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't pretend to follow prospects. But everything I hear about Tkachuk suggests he is a prototypical Bergevin type: not especially fast, not the most talented player available, but just oozing with 'intangibles.' A great pick for a 1990s squad and therefore precisely what MB covets. So my theory is, he's the guy.

I don't know anything either, but just listening the interviews, I got the impression it might be Tkachuk. 

Or maybe as commandant has said, Hughes is the guy.

It's a tight draft at the top. Probably not the best year to have the #3 pick 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think its gonna be Kotkaniemi. 

They can't take a winger. 

My guess is that will take BPA no matter position and that is Zadina.:spamafote:

43 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I don't know anything either, but just listening the interviews, I got the impression it might be Tkachuk. 

Or maybe as commandant has said, Hughes is the guy.

It's a tight draft at the top. Probably not the best year to have the #3 pick 

Considering what happened to our last #3 overall pick, it's not all that clear why we should be so optimistic about this draft anyway. And maybe they should draft Tkachuk, since they clearly can't work with any young player who is anything other than a good ol' boy.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Considering what happened to our last #3 overall pick, it's not all that clear why we should be so optimistic about this draft anyway. And maybe they should draft Tkachuk, since they clearly can't work with any young player who is anything other than a good ol' boy.

Our last #3 pick we should of never selected at 3. We should of traded that pick for a NHL center to go with the core group of players we had and try and win a cup in that window that we had.  Now our window is closed and I hope he doesn't trade the pick we need to hit a home run here.

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bpa is debateable.  4/9 scouts from mckenzie dont have zadina at 3

Cool thanks, even more than I thought and I feel better about the pick. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We had a number 3 pick cause we finished 14th in a 15 team conference. 

We should have traded for an NHL centre?  Who?

At that time if we traded the pick for a center rather than draft we would of been better off.

Our window to  win was just starting all we needed was a top center to add to the group we had.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A few have tkachuk

1 had Quinn Hughes. 

I know and if either of those is picked, seem fine choices...Zadina is just my best guess who name Timmins will announce.

Maybe Hughes will have Subban like offense or the big Finn could be a skilled big body up the middle that have been lacking forever.

So really I don't think can lose...just hope they don't deal the pick and are looking more long term than next year. I would prefer to even move down than deal the pick for a current NHLer.

Hindsight is 20/20. 

You had a last place team, coming off a horrible season, and it was relatively healthy in that season, there was no Price injury to blame it on. 

Building through the draft, and taking the best Centre available in that draft was the right move. 

Developping him horribly as a Centre was the mistake. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

At that time if we traded the pick for a center rather than draft we would of been better off.

Our window to  win was just starting all we needed was a top center to add to the group we had.

Which centre was offered for the pick?

Bergevin said was open to trading pick last year but no one was interested in the 25th pick and need two to make a deal and no one was high on any of the late 1st prospects I guess.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hindsight is 20/20. 

You had a last place team, coming off a horrible season, and it was relatively healthy in that season, there was no Price injury to blame it on. 

Building through the draft, and taking the best Centre available in that draft was the right move. 

Developping him horribly as a Centre was the mistake. 

Or from what they say, not allowing his father to be his main coach was biggest mistake or issue.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Which centre was offered for the pick?

Bergevin said was open to trading pick last year but no one was interested in the 25th pick and need two to make a deal and no one was high on any of the late 1st prospects I guess.

Not talking about last year, talking about the year we drafted galchenyuk. We should of traded the pick for a center rather than draft at 3.

So its Deja vu all over again. 

I'm sure MB will make the same mistake.

I'm not a draft expert or anything of the sort, it just seems the big fin is a reach at 3. 

MB said they need speed and talent, Hughes and Zadina are that

Go Zadina Go

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Or from what they say, not allowing his father to be his main coach was biggest mistake or issue.

Given that his official coaches were ginder/dinosaur hockey aficionados MT and Claude Julien, and that he's a creative offensive player, maybe dear ol' dad was the most competent voice in his ear out of the 3.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Some last minute changes to my list. 

I'm done now i think.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

I like your top 4, and really like that you dropped the grinder-ish Tkachuk down to where you did.  My gut just screams 'NO' when is see Kotkaniemi that high though for some reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Not talking about last year, talking about the year we drafted galchenyuk. We should of traded the pick for a center rather than draft at 3.

last year was example.

Which centre was offered up for 3rd pick in 2012 is what I am wondering you are referring to?

37 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Given that his official coaches were ginder/dinosaur hockey aficionados MT and Claude Julien, and that he's a creative offensive player, maybe dear ol' dad was the most competent voice in his ear out of the 3.

And Gallant and Muller had lots of one-on-one discussions with him as well, as the forward's and PP coach. I think I would listen to those two moreso than some (quite biased) guy who was never a NHLer nor pro coach.