2018 draft thread

Meller93

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Ty Smith would be a nice target if Habs can pry a pick from Islanders.

Let's trade Pacioretty and à LD (like Valiev) to NYI for one of their 1st round picks and rights for DeHaan :)

43 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I like your top 4, and really like that you dropped the grinder-ish Tkachuk down to where you did.  My gut just screams 'NO' when is see Kotkaniemi that high though for some reason.

This past week or so, I've been watching the replays of the Under 18s... I can see why Kotkaniemi jumped.  Dominant tournament against his age group.  Easily best player on the ice nearly every game.  He was a beast. 

I think seeing any ranking of Kotkaniemi that high is only a way to justify the Habs considering him at that spot...A LOT of scouting reports have him lower on their final rankings (some out of the top 10).  If the Habs weren't looking at him he's probably not getting picked until anywhere from 8-12.  A bunch of lists have Veleno above Kotkaniemi.  Some even have Hayton ahead of him.   Not saying I don't like Kotkaniemi...I just don't like the idea of reaching at #3 when they could trade down, still get him and get a lot more value out of the pick. 

I wonder if the Isles would see enough value moving into the top 3 and could be lured into something like their 11+12+41 for our 3rd and 62nd pick...including the 2nds might be wishful thinking on my part, lol.

If so, I'd love to see some wheeling and dealing for picks.  

eg. Then try to send a team picking around 6th - 8th our 12th, 38th, 56th to move back up a few spots.  It's a much smaller jump from 12th to that 6-8 spot so, in theory, I don't think it would take nearly as much as we'd ask of the Isles. 

If that worked out, I'd even see if I can trade all 3 of our 4th round picks along with the newly acquired 41st pick to move up to around pick 23...give or take.

Then I'd try to package that with our #35 overall to see if I could get another one in the top 15.

The Habs need some top end prospects badly IMHO...they can accelerate that in this draft since they have so many 2nd and 4th round picks.  I'd much rather have 3 good, already more talented and developed, kids then depend on the Habs farm to develop 4 2nd and 3 4th round picks that all will need more development time or have a few less "tools" talent wise.  JMHO.

I'm also sure we could move a player, or future pick, for another mid-round pick if we really saw a mid-round guy we wanted who was sliding at draft time...

Bob McKenzie's list is a survey of actual NHL scouts

It is not done to justify a pick

Kotkaniemi has risen all season

The earlier a list came out, the fact is it doesn't capture the U18s.  My own list that starts at the end of march didn't originally.  That is why i make adjustments along the way, because more data and film comes in. 

8 minutes ago, Metallica said:

When's the last time a Canadian player wasn't in the top 10 of the draft. Has Canadian hockey gone down that much?

Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, and Ty Smith are all Canadian.... 2 of them will go in the top 10, could be 3. 

It goes in cycles.  There will likely be an american first next year and Canadian second.  

Oh and Jack Hughes (the likely 2019 top pick) and Quinn Hughes are both american, but they played much of their minor hockey until the age of 16 in Toronto. 

There are two canadians who look top 2 in 2020

I don't think it says much, if anything at all about Canadian hockey.  Teams keep competing (and regularly winning) the World Juniors, Ivan Hlinka, etc... so there is that too. 

12 minutes ago, mineral said:

On a separate note entire, anyone know where the Draft will be streaming for those particular fools who decided to cut their cables?

espn I think?

7 minutes ago, DON said:

espn I think?

Cheers, Don. I'll have a look if i can get that straight off the web. Would be much more awesome than paying TSN $25 get the weekend coverage.

UPDATE: i think ESPN is US-only. Says it doesn't offer the service in my region. I'm sure you guys will share your screams and tears immediately after the news breaks anyways, right guys??

3 minutes ago, mineral said:

Cheers, Don. I'll have a look if i can get that straight off the web. Would be much more awesome than paying TSN $25 get the weekend coverage.

TSN doesn't have the draft - it's Sportsnet which also has the SN Now option ($25/month).  NBC Sports has tonight's stuff in the US while NHL Network has Day 2 so there may be an NHL.com stream for that one.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

This past week or so, I've been watching the replays of the Under 18s... I can see why Kotkaniemi jumped.  Dominant tournament against his age group.  Easily best player on the ice nearly every game.  He was a beast. 

Gonna move him up in final final rankings?:D

He looked very good in highlight compilation as well...but so did Zadina.

Oh well, find out in 4 or 5 hours which way Habs see them.

9 minutes ago, mineral said:

I thought I saw ESPN, could be wrong?,  but am sure you can find it on NHL.com, exactly who is streaming it.

*NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will provide live-stream coverage.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

I thought I saw ESPN, could be wrong?,  but am sure you can find it on NHL.com, exactly who is streaming it.

*NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will provide live-stream coverage.

Like ESPN, i'm sure they will require some kind of subscription service - if they even offering it at all to Canadian locations. Alas, nothing is free in this world! I guess i'll be tuning into Habsworld for the transcripts :D

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Some last minute changes to my list. 

I'm done now i think.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

I have reached my conclusions and was about to go on the record but I see I am in almost complete agreement with Commandant's final list.

I will be happy with any one of Hughes, Kotkaniemi or Zadina.  If we pick a winger it had better be Zadina.  I suspect we will trade down. swapping 3 for 5 with Arizona for their 2019 2nd rounder.

I don't want Tkachuk.  I'm higher on Bouchard than Commandant though.  

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, and Ty Smith are all Canadian.... 2 of them will go in the top 10, could be 3. 

It goes in cycles.  There will likely be an american first next year and Canadian second.  

Oh and Jack Hughes (the likely 2019 top pick) and Quinn Hughes are both american, but they played much of their minor hockey until the age of 16 in Toronto. 

There are two canadians who look top 2 in 2020

I don't think it says much, if anything at all about Canadian hockey.  Teams keep competing (and regularly winning) the World Juniors, Ivan Hlinka, etc... so there is that too. 

The majority of players are still Canadian. It's similar to basketball where when you can choose the best from around the world, the amount of North Americans will naturally drop as more play and more great players develop from outside of the main area. 

That said, Canadian being a private junior league and America developing a strong collegiate through high school to college will eventually give the Americans an advantage in development in time. There has also been something rotten in the QMJHL for years and that's why the Martimes teams rule it. 

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they want Kotkaniemi the 3 for 5 trade makes a lot of sense

Would Arizona give LHD prospect P-O Joseph

Yes please. I've watched that kid play a million times and I don't recall him ever turning the puck over, and if he did he got it right back. Super smart, good wheels and vision.