2018 draft thread

Meller93

6 minutes ago, illWill said:

I think the pick in this case should be made based on the future make up of this team. As it stands right now, we don't need any wingers, we are growing them on trees. If Drouin sticks at center and Pacioretty is traded, then maybe you can justify picking Zadina. But we can't complain about the holes on this team and then at the same time complain about not filling them at the draft. 

Pretty much. If Zadina is not the best player available, or it's a real toss up between him and other players, we should lean towards those positions. But if it's in any way a step down (even say, a 65 pt winger vs. 55 pt centre) we should go for the winger even if it's a position of strength. We can try to find a 50 point centre in the second round.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Pretty much. If Zadina is not the best player available, or it's a real toss up between him and other players, we should lean towards those positions. But if it's in any way a step down (even say, a 65 pt winger vs. 55 pt centre) we should go for the winger even if it's a position of strength. We can try to find a 50 point centre in the second round.

Zadina justifies moving Pacioretty for organizational needs, you essentially drafted his replacement and his upgrade in one fell swoop. You can then consider moving Pacioretty for nothing less than  a package which includes a really good LHD prospect Dman that fits your needs, or a prospect C projected as a top 6 player in the near future. It seems written in the stars that we are moving Pacioretty, it seems highly unlikely that when he does get moved, the package coming back doesn't include organizational needs.

Many Paths to filling our needs, There is. Consider them all, we must.

tenor.gif?itemid=5170206

18 hours ago, illWill said:

I think the pick in this case should be made based on the future make up of this team. As it stands right now, we don't need any wingers, we are growing them on trees. If Drouin sticks at center and Pacioretty is traded, then maybe you can justify picking Zadina. But we can't complain about the holes on this team and then at the same time complain about not filling them at the draft. 

Sure we can. Why cant this draft, the 3rd top five pick for Habs in 34 years, be top loaded with centres?

Also, a draft pick is simply an asset that can be dealt to help fill roster hole. A draft pick is not picked based on what position he plays and if a goalie is highly rated on Habs list and is still available in 2nd round, odds are that should take him, even though Price will be #1 for long time and is no real need for one on current roster.

Oh we're getting closer to the draft and July 1st, and I am getting really scared and my anxiety is getting high. Bergevin pretty much has a blank check to try and save his job. Plus this is a draft year that could set us up nicely as the future of this organization goes. So much needs to go right its out right scary.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Oh we're getting closer to the draft and July 1st, and I am getting really scared and my anxiety is getting high. Bergevin pretty much has a blank check to try and save his job. Plus this is a draft year that could set us up nicely as the future of this organization goes. So much needs to go right its out right scary.

This will could be the Montreal Canadiens 1984 draft (Svoboda, Corson, Richer, and Roy between 5 and 51) or the Chicago Blackhawks 2010 draft (four 2nd round picks, 153 games total) or something in between. 

3, 35, 38, 56, 62, and 66. I don't just want three guys who play some NHL games from that. I want Timmins to prove he deserves to keep his job.

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This will could be the Montreal Canadiens 1984 draft (Svoboda, Corson, Richer, and Roy between 5 and 51) or the Chicago Blackhawks 2010 draft (four 2nd round picks, 153 games total) or something in between. 

3, 35, 38, 56, 62, and 66. I don't just want three guys who play some NHL games from that. I want Timmins to prove he deserves to keep his job.

Too bad this draft wasn't deep like the 03" and 05" draft years.

14 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Too bad this draft wasn't deep like the 03" and 05" draft years.

You can always find gems. 1998 wasn't the deepest draft but the Habs walked out with Ribeiro, Beauchemin, Markov, and Ryder. None of them were their first round pick.

On 6/10/2018 at 1:49 PM, Link67 said:

Zadina justifies moving Pacioretty for organizational needs, you essentially drafted his replacement and his upgrade in one fell swoop. You can then consider moving Pacioretty for nothing less than  a package which includes a really good LHD prospect Dman that fits your needs, or a prospect C projected as a top 6 player in the near future. It seems written in the stars that we are moving Pacioretty, it seems highly unlikely that when he does get moved, the package coming back doesn't include organizational needs.

Many Paths to filling our needs, There is. Consider them all, we must.

tenor.gif?itemid=5170206

It’s a thought that has crossed all of our minds but it’s also dangerous to immediately state that Zadina is a replacement for Pacioretty. In a few years, that line of thinking could be destructive to the franchise if bold moves are made as a result of that thought. 

I also understand that time can prove me wrong but I don’t agree that the writing is on the wall in terms of Pacioretty being gone. I still think the best course at this point is to keep him until at least the deadline. At that point, it’s true that the organization may find itself with a difficult situation if we ice a competitive team this year but if we’re competitive I also look to get him on an extension. 

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Bergevin pretty much has a blank check to try and save his job. Plus this is a draft year that could set us up nicely as the future of this organization goes. So much needs to go right its out right scary.

Well, it is really two things need to go right; add a young'ish' top 4 d-man and a top 2 young centre, one through trade (for Gallagher, whose spot Zadina will fill) and one from free agency.

In draft rankings, seems will be numerous intriguing centres and d-man still available in 2nd round.

Last time had numerous 2nd round picks, they took delaRose, Fucale & Lehkonen. 

Lehkonen has 30goals...only 1 other player taken in that round has more than 10goals (JT Compher is 2nd with 16g, delaRose is 3rd with 8 goals)).

46 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s a thought that has crossed all of our minds but it’s also dangerous to immediately state that Zadina is a replacement for Pacioretty. In a few years, that line of thinking could be destructive to the franchise if bold moves are made as a result of that thought. 

I also understand that time can prove me wrong but I don’t agree that the writing is on the wall in terms of Pacioretty being gone. I still think the best course at this point is to keep him until at least the deadline. At that point, it’s true that the organization may find itself with a difficult situation if we ice a competitive team this year but if we’re competitive I also look to get him on an extension. 

You are being far too passive in your thinking, take a step back for a minute, look at this team, its make up, the season it just had, the time we have left of our elite players being elite. From that view, tell me this isn't the time for some bold thinking, some bold moves, anything but status quo must be attempted, we just witnessed first hand what status quo last summer caused, it would be utterly unacceptable to even consider NOT making bold moves at this point.

Also Zadina doesn't worry me one bit, this kid has everything he needs to become another 30+ goal scorer in this league, his chances of being a bust, just from a skill and character point of view, are nearly non existent. I'm at a point where I am done watching our valuable assets fester until their Free Agency, we have major roster needs that go unchecked year after year, and quite frankly those needs have reached a point where they outweigh any one individual player not named Price or Weber. We have to look at using whatever avenue available to fill those needs once and for all, because I can assure you, nothing will be more destructive than having the holes that plague this team year after year remain unfilled. If there is any hope for a re-tool to work properly it has to start with a gangbuster summer of getting shit done.

44 minutes ago, Link67 said:

You are being far too passive in your thinking, take a step back for a minute, look at this team, its make up, the season it just had, the time we have left of our elite players being elite. From that view, tell me this isn't the time for some bold thinking, some bold moves, anything but status quo must be attempted, we just witnessed first hand what status quo last summer caused, it would be utterly unacceptable to even consider NOT making bold moves at this point.

Also Zadina doesn't worry me one bit, this kid has everything he needs to become another 30+ goal scorer in this league, his chances of being a bust, just from a skill and character point of view, are nearly non existent. I'm at a point where I am done watching our valuable assets fester until their Free Agency, we have major roster needs that go unchecked year after year, and quite frankly those needs have reached a point where they outweigh any one individual player not named Price or Weber. We have to look at using whatever avenue available to fill those needs once and for all, because I can assure you, nothing will be more destructive than having the holes that plague this team year after year remain unfilled. If there is any hope for a re-tool to work properly it has to start with a gangbuster summer of getting shit done.

I agree with xXx..CK..xXx that "getting rid of Pacioretty vs. "managing the asset value of" Pacioretty are two different things. I also see Zadina as a future replacement for #67, but it will take time and it is not an absolute necessity to move out Pacioretty before Zadina has played a minimum number of meaningful games at the NHL level.

My $0.02 worth...

44 minutes ago, DON said:

It's an interesting point positionally. With Zadina, Gallagher, and Lehkonen, the Habs would project to be quite strong at RW. But subtract Patches and we're looking at Galy, Byron and Scherback at LW - not fabulous, on the face of it. Of course Drouin is a natural LW.

So it all comes back to C (again). If the Habs could somehow add two decent C we'd have Drouin-Galy at LW and Gallagher-Zadina at RW, with good depth below that. Suddenly things look impressive. Easier said than done.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's an interesting point positionally. With Zadina, Gallagher, and Lehkonen, the Habs would project to be quite strong at RW. But subtract Patches and we're looking at Galy, Byron and Scherback at LW - not fabulous, on the face of it. Of course Drouin is a natural LW.

So it all comes back to C (again). If the Habs could somehow add two decent C we'd have Drouin-Galy at LW and Gallagher-Zadina at RW, with good depth below that. Suddenly things look impressive. Easier said than done.

I'm thinking to the future. What will this team be looking like in 2021? Did we find a centre in the second round? Did we draft high in 2019 and 2020? Has Poehling developed? Is Bergevin still around to hold Galchenyuk back from centre?

We could have Boston in 2011 depth by then (Bergeron, Krejci, Savard, Seguin, Soderberg in Sweden) but there's no hope for that next year. 

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Adding two top six centres is just too much to expect, unless he goes with same d-core.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I thought the same thing but some places do have him listed as a LW. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/236471/filip-zadina

3 hours ago, DON said:

He may play RW but he shots left and could move over. What I was saying is that production wise, he would replace #67

Most importantly, he will need an NHL quality center or we would put him in the same situation as Patches

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Among the players at Montreal's Swedish-based combine was Mathias Emilio Pettersen.

The name was familiar so I googled him.  He sounds as if he was highly touted at one time and has been on the radar of scouts for quite some time.  There is a thread on another site about this kid that was started in 2006 (he was only 6 years old lol).  Sounds like he didn't meet expectations this year in the USHL and went from a potential 1st round candidate to a mid to late rounder.

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Among the players at Montreal's Swedish-based combine was Mathias Emilio Pettersen.

Is it Swedish based or Scandinavian... or something else? Is he not Norwegian?