2018 draft thread

Meller93

Adam French has the Habs taking Noah Dobson at #3.

Pierre Maguire has the Habs taking Brady Tkachuk at #3.

Grant McCagg has the Habs taking Jesperi Kotkaniemi at #3.

It seems Pierre Lebrun was right, the #3 pick is going to be the action pick!

• Upvote 1

“We see the way the game has gone now. Size isn’t as much of an issue anymore. You have to play the game fast and you have to have skill, even on defence." - Trevor Timmins.

Welcome to Montreal, Quinn Hughes

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

“We see the way the game has gone now. Size isn’t as much of an issue anymore. You have to play the game fast and you have to have skill, even on defence." - Trevor Timmins.

Way to be cryptic..or is he?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You don't think he is going to Arizona anymore and don't rank Zadina ahead of Hughes anymore? Or simply pulling for your favourite?

I know virtually nothing about most of top prospects, so Zadina-Tchuck-Wahlstrom-Hughes-or another d-man is all fine by me..i just like the goal production of Zadina and Wahlstrom.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

You don't think he is going to Arizona anymore and don't rank Zadina ahead of Hughes anymore? Or simply pulling for your favourite?

I know virtually nothing about most of top prospects, so Zadina-Tchuck-Wahlstrom-Hughes-or another d-man is all fine by me..i just like the goal production of Zadina and Wahlstrom.

I agree we’ll take Zadina. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Too bad it only took them six seasons :rolleyes:

I know it's only three sentences, but there's a lot to dislike there. The past tense, as in "we're reacting rather than anticipating." The implication that it is a novel idea to think you have to have speed and skill "even on defence." Imagine! Teams needing skilled, fast, puck-moving defenceman!! What will this crazy sport think of next?

Bergevin is a dinosaur and we've paid for his myopia.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

I think zadina and hughes are so close that im pulling for hughes because our team needs a defenceman like him.  Basically they are 3a and 3b in my mind and im using position as the tie breaker.

If svech is available id take the winger cause he is the clear better player.

But i dont see the zadina/hughes seperation.

I think zadina and hughes are so close that im pulling for hughes because our team needs a defenceman like him.  Basically they are 3a and 3b in my mind and im using position as the tie breaker.

Makes sense, just vast majority still see Zadina as #3 and if not him they have Tkchuck at 3 not Hughes.

I just assume Habs will be trading a top six winger in the next two weeks opening up a spot in top six, but like I say am happy with any of choices people are tossing out there and do need quality LH d-man for sure.

Brainiac Button had Hughes at 12th?

And Jake Evans may never let Hughes live down the last second goal he scored from between his legs.:)

Edited by DON
2nd thought

If the CH goes with Hughes, it impacts which players they may trade (e.g. Pacioretty)

is QH pod enough to start as Montteal's 2nd LD? Or 1st LD?

if not, it does not solve the immediate need

How much better is he compared to Mete?

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the CH goes with Hughes, it impacts which players they may trade (e.g. Pacioretty)

is QH pod enough to start as Montteal's 2nd LD? Or 1st LD?

if not, it does not solve the immediate need

How much better is he compared to Mete?

I don't see anybody at 3rd overall helping this team immediately (unless Svechnikov or Dahlin miraculously fall to 3rd).  Zadina is good, but he's long term good.  His impact next year might be similar to Nolan Patrick's in Philly or Galchenyuk in his rookie season.

Hughes is likely in the same boat as Zadina.  IMO Hughes will be better than Mete at some point in his career.  I'm not sure how many points Mete will get at the NHL level on a consistent basis.  He's not at the same level as Hughes.  That being said, it's hard to say how good Hughes will be.  He certainly has the potential to be a future top pair guy, but I doubt he plays that role next season.  I'm not sure Hughes would be a second pair guy next season either.  That would be asking a lot out of an 18 year old.  The only defenseman that I can see being top pair next year from this draft is Dahlin.  I'm not even sure that anyone else from this draft stays in the NHL the whole season.

There's always the risk that a lot of these prospects do not realize their potential as well.  So who knows what the right decision might be.

Need at LD is not a one year thing. 

On our team and in our system under the age of 25, at LHD we have.

Mete (good, but Hughes has the same potential defensively, but with MUCH MUCH more offence).

Walford, Tyzska, and the two czechs we just signed  (all are lottery tickets, none of these is a sure fire NHLer).

Bourque, Koberstein, Parisi (highly unlikely to make NHL)

Thats it... thats what we have at LHD

When i say Hughes fills a need, I'm not saying he fills an immediate need. 

• Like 1

As it appears below top 2 consensus with Dahlin the obvious number 1 and number 2 Svechnikov

Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk... are close according to the recent feedback post Combine.

And the more I am looking at it the more I am guessing MB will take Kotkaniemi. Fits what MB pattern has been despite his average skating. He appears mature and according to MB line of character fit his mold to the mark:

I would go for the elite skater in Hughes and that D that is standing out or the best shooter in Zadina.

Unless Carolina wants to unite Zadina and pick him number 2. Without a doubt MB has to take SVECHNIKOV

But otherwise the likelihood to my dislike and his track record :
1. Kotkaniemi
2. Tkachuk

I would go with D and best skater in Draft in Hughes.

I wish Montreal could walk away with both Kotkaniemi and Hughes from this draft.  I know trading down seems stupid but if MB could pull this off and grab these 2 prospects, our future seems bright.  

Then sign Stastny in FA and trade for Hanifin for immediate help.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

I wish Montreal could walk away with both Kotkaniemi and Hughes from this draft.  I know trading down seems stupid but if MB could pull this off and grab these 2 prospects, our future seems bright.  

Then sign Stastny in FA and trade for Hanifin for immediate help.  

concidering our lack of depth at C I think Kotkaniemi might make the team right away.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but Kotkaniemi didn't even play center last year, he was a winger according to the article i read, he only scored 10 goals. 

You can't pass up a 40 goal guy for 10 goals at #3

He played wing on his Finnish league club, but centre at the international level. 

You also cant compare 40 goals in the QMJHL, with goals scored in the top men's league in Finland.  Its not the same. 

1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

concidering our lack of depth at C I think Kotkaniemi might make the team right away.

If they draft Kotkaniemi then yes, he plays right away as the third line centre:

Drouin

Danault

Kotkaniemi

De La Rose

barring any trades or signings of course.