Jump to content

2018 draft thread


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, DON said:

Weber? YOur kidding right?

Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Juulsen all would be much more realistic than Weber and Gallagher would be the #1 best, given age, contract and every coach loves his type of player.

 

Really, where did you hear that?

 

Not really, no team would give up a top 10 pick for two 2nds. Would take Pacioretty or Gallagher to be involved to entice someone to give up a pick like that.

A #1 goalie got Canucks the #9 pick

Not a top 10 pick i didn't say that, but if he falls to lets say anywhere from 12-16 that team might be willing to trade the pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't understand what all the fire and fury about this article is folks, sounds like some of you are still letting yourselves get sucked into the quick sand of negativity for the most nonsensical re

Why?  MB would probably trade the pick to Minny to try and reunite the Suter-Weber pairing.

At this point Bergevin could trade Alzner for Hedman straight up and still get roasted for it. When people have their pitchforks out, they don't put them away until they chase their target out of town

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

If the Habs go for Quinn Hughes, I hope they also go for at least 3 of the most creative offensive forwards available with their 2nd round picks. Gimme some guys Drouin can just get nasty with in the offensive end. I'm talking pornographic plays that require medical attention for my erection lasting longer than 4 hours. 

 

ForkedSophisticatedBlackcrappie-size_res

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Not a top 10 pick i didn't say that, but if he falls to lets say anywhere from 12-16 that team might be willing to trade the pick.

Two 2nd picks, say 35 & 38 might get you a around a 25th pick, but not top 1/2 of 1st round. And players taken 25 are just not much better than 35th pick and would be kinda a waste of a good pick, value wise at least.

relative value (in 1 of 1,000 value charts);

25= 720

35=550 & 38=520

Link to post
Share on other sites

feb-mar hockeywriters favourable bits on Zadina;

 

Well, firstly, Zadina shot the lights out in the 2018 WJC with Team Czech Republic, netting seven impressive goals in seven contests. Then, at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, Zadina tallied another two goals and dominated his opposition from buzzer to buzzer. Finally, in his third Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game of February, Zadina recorded a four-goal game.

In reality, there isn’t much Zadina can’t do.

As a terrific skater who owns an electrifying shot, Zadina is a natural offensive threat who generates scoring chances with both ease and regularity. Persistent in his efforts, Zadina’s potent play and composed nature have, deservingly, drawn comparisons to former first overall selection Nico Hischier. Blessed with silky mitts and the innate ability to bulge the twine, Zadina’s comprehensive attack and sound two-way game are combining to make him a dynamic force of superstar potential at the NHL-level.

As a pure-goal scorer, Zadina boasts an NHL-calibre shot and the ability to blast the puck on net in the blink of an eye. Not only accurate in his shooting but also overpowering, Zadina can rip the puck on net and past opposing goaltenders before they catch a glimpse of the puck. However, Zadina is much more than a goal-scorer, as his excellent vision and passing abilities enable him to set up teammates in high-percentage scoring situations — an ability which keeps opposing defenders on their heels.

2018 WJC all star team

Edited by DON
2nd thought
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DON said:

feb-mar hockeywriters favourable bits on Zadina;

 

Well, firstly, Zadina shot the lights out in the 2018 WJC with Team Czech Republic, netting seven impressive goals in seven contests. Then, at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, Zadina tallied another two goals and dominated his opposition from buzzer to buzzer. Finally, in his third Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game of February, Zadina recorded a four-goal game.

In reality, there isn’t much Zadina can’t do.

As a terrific skater who owns an electrifying shot, Zadina is a natural offensive threat who generates scoring chances with both ease and regularity. Persistent in his efforts, Zadina’s potent play and composed nature have, deservingly, drawn comparisons to former first overall selection Nico Hischier. Blessed with silky mitts and the innate ability to bulge the twine, Zadina’s comprehensive attack and sound two-way game are combining to make him a dynamic force of superstar potential at the NHL-level.

As a pure-goal scorer, Zadina boasts an NHL-calibre shot and the ability to blast the puck on net in the blink of an eye. Not only accurate in his shooting but also overpowering, Zadina can rip the puck on net and past opposing goaltenders before they catch a glimpse of the puck. However, Zadina is much more than a goal-scorer, as his excellent vision and passing abilities enable him to set up teammates in high-percentage scoring situations — an ability which keeps opposing defenders on their heels.

2018 WJC all star team

This is why we should draft Zadina at 3 if Svechnikov is gone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.

 

 

 

Quote

Interesting comment from Filip Zadina pertaining to #Habs in @Michael_Traikos story: "Montreal, I know very well. I've been to the city many times and they're fans are awesome. But I think they're looking for a centre or a D."

 

Never heard a player be that candid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other notable players born in Pardubice, Czech Republic include:

 

Dominik Hasek....

 

Jan Bulis....

 

Ales Hemsky....

 

A few of the older generation of Sykoras...:

 

Tomas Nosek...

 

Dominik Hasek deserves another mention....

 

Let’s draft Zadina

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

I don't really understand why he would say that 

Doesn’t want to play for the habs??? Doesn’t find it appealing to be coached by Julien? Spent too much of his money on strippers the last time he was in montreal?  Who knows?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Doesn’t want to play for the habs??? Doesn’t find it appealing to be coached by Julien? Spent too much of his money on strippers the last time he was in montreal?  Who knows?  

 

I don't think so. Dude has been since the lottery campaigning for the Habs to select him. Unless he made this up in some attempt to get attention and pressure the Habs to draft him (which would be very stupid), it might be something said to him by someone on the Habs like Timmins. Or it's an observation he made that they were more interested in the defencemen and centremen than him.

 

Who knows, but it's refreshing to hear something so... frank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Never heard a player be that candid. 

At the combine he also said he thought Habs may trade pick #3.

(Lindros and Mario likely were as candid about playing in, or being drafted by Quebec & Pittsburgh. So at least he isn't that full of himself.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Who knows, but it's refreshing to hear something so... frank.

I think likely has some to do with English being 2nd language.:spamafote:

Link to post
Share on other sites

So are we reading too much into this? He was asked about montreal. He said he likes it but thinks they are targeting c and d. I don't see a backhanded comment inferring he doesn't want to go there. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So are we reading too much into this? He was asked about montreal. He said he likes it but thinks they are targeting c and d. I don't see a backhanded comment inferring he doesn't want to go there. 

 

I have never heard a prospect be that candid about a team who could draft him. I don't think he's saying he doesn't want to goto Montreal. He was saying he wanted to be a Hab the moment we got third overall. I wonder why he feels they don't want to draft him, whether he was told or whether he just feels that way from watching how they interact with the prospect centres and D.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Zadina is stating the obvious. He’s a young kid who doesn’t understand how the draft system works. Similar to the manner in which some people suggest on here that we should draft a center in the draft, regardless of talent and best player available, Zadina is saying that the Habs are looking for a center or left hand defenseman. He is overlooking that team’s should draft the best player available regardless of position. Anyone who follow the NHL knows the Habs need a centerman and left hand defenseman. That has no connection with who the Habs will actually pick; it’s just stating the obvious. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I read in the Gazette today that Pat Hickey suggested that a player we might be interested in further down in the draft, perhaps where our 4 second round picks might begin to come into play, would be Liam Foudy, a centre who plays for the London Knights and is currently ranked around 19th in the draft order.

 

What do you guys think of him? Would he be a good pick? Would he be within reach of us or are there other centre's available later who would be just as good?

 

Who are some of the players that we would be interested in with our 4 second round picks?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, REV-G said:

I read in the Gazette today that Pat Hickey suggested that a player we might be interested in further down in the draft, perhaps where our 4 second round picks might begin to come into play, would be Liam Foudy, a centre who plays for the London Knights and is currently ranked around 19th in the draft order.

 

What do you guys think of him? Would he be a good pick? Would he be within reach of us or are there other centre's available later who would be just as good?

 

Who are some of the players that we would be interested in with our 4 second round picks?

 

His mother is a pretty famous Olympic runner who married a CFL player. I believe he's franco Ontarian. He isn't a bad pick. Great speed. I'm all for the speed guys. Some questions on his offensive output, not that he's bad at it, just don't know if top six level yet. But I would be happy if we selected him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If were choosing a center around 19 I'd rather a player with more offense.  A guy like Akil Thomas has more offensive upside IMO and could/should still be there in that range.  A lot of scouts seem high on Foudy, but I see him as more of a late first to early second rounder.  I just think there are higher ceiling players available.  As for getting a pick in the second half of the first round, I still think the Habs should look into taking Jori Lehtera off of the Flyers hands or Paul Martin off of the Sharks hands.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, John B said:

If were choosing a center around 19 I'd rather a player with more offense.  A guy like Akil Thomas has more offensive upside IMO and could/should still be there in that range.  A lot of scouts seem high on Foudy, but I see him as more of a late first to early second rounder.  I just think there are higher ceiling players available.  As for getting a pick in the second half of the first round, I still think the Habs should look into taking Jori Lehtera off of the Flyers hands or Paul Martin off of the Sharks hands.  

 

For a 1st or 2nd round pick you probably have to take on a bad contract with multiple years on it. Nobody is in dire cap trouble this season, so buyouts on Lehtera or Martin are much more palatable than spending a draft pick for them to play elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington's 2nd round pick will be 62nd.

 

Unless trades happen, the Habs will pick 3rd, 35th, 38th, 56th, 62nd, 66th, 97th, 102nd, 122nd, and 128th. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Washington's 2nd round pick will be 62nd.

 

Unless trades happen, the Habs will pick 3rd, 35th, 38th, 56th, 62nd, 66th, 97th, 102nd, 122nd, and 128th. 

 

Of course a great pick will be had at 3rd. 

 

35th and 38th will have some excellent players too, that's where we might find a guy that becomes an answer in our top six.

 

56/62/66 is gonna be about the players who fall off radars and might be boom/bust potential and are being avoided for reasons that might not be that big of a deal (Russian, small, bad defence) or for reasons that are a big deal (slow footed without puck control, distracted, looks good in highlight reels but not during the game) 

 

Those six picks will be what makes or breaks this draft for us. Maybe we catch a hidden gem after but there's good players who might become good NHLers in those picks. This isn't a great draft year but good enough that it could change things. If our draft experts are still going to be oblivious to centres and favour defencemen, it could put us right back to where we started. There needs to be an approach on where the game is going and not where anyone wants the game to be. I better not see a single "physical defenceman" drafted this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Washington's 2nd round pick will be 62nd.

 

Unless trades happen, the Habs will pick 3rd, 35th, 38th, 56th, 62nd, 66th, 97th, 102nd, 122nd, and 128th. 

That looks pretty good, none further than 128th

I hope they draft all of their picks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another pick value chart: https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

 

Some trade proposals (approximate equivalent value) for #3 from The Athletic:

 

Quote

Ottawa trades 4 and 22.

Arizona trades 5, 55, 65, 73 and 74.

Detroit trades 6 and one or two of 30, 33 and 36.

Vancouver trades 7/37/68/130/161/192.

Chicago trades 8/27/69/87/120/142/162/193.

Rangers trade 9 and 26/28 or 26/39/48.

Islanders trade 11 and 12.

Philadelphia trades 14, 19 and 50.

 

 

Are any of those scenarios of interest?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to be noticing quite a few commentators expressing the belief that the habs will pick Tkatchuk. They don't appear to be asserting this based on contacts within the organization but rather based on a belief that Montreal needs a power forward. For whatever that's worth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Another pick value chart: https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

 

Some trade proposals (approximate equivalent value) for #3 from The Athletic:

 

 

Are any of those scenarios of interest?

Honestly? All of them hahaha

 

draft a Hughes, Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi with the top pick.

 

LOAD up with home run swings 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...