2018 draft thread

Meller93

2 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

It’s an interesting dilemma as we have no shortage of good wingers. I really have zero interest in grabbing a top 6 winger.

Has anyone started doing random superstitious things for the draft lottery or is it just me?

As Commandant noted, the two top wingers in draft seem pretty darn good. And especially if Pacioretty or another winger (27, 11) is traded in June/July, then will be a spot for a top winger open.

Was interesting that yesterday Pierre McGuire said on TSN690, at the Habs GM interviews in 2012 he told Molson and other interview guys (e,g, Serge) his plan would be that he will trade the upcoming #3 pick.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Was interesting that yesterday Pierre McGuire said on TSN690, at the Habs GM interviews in 2012 he told Molson and other interview guys (e,g, Serge) his plan would be that he will trade the upcoming #3 pick.

On the radio he suggested that the oilers should offer montreal the #1 pick for #3 and PK subban

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

On the radio he suggested that the oilers should offer montreal the #1 pick for #3 and PK subban

So Yakapov for Galchenyuk & Subban, uggg.

Just watched my underdog Islanders sweep Filip Zadina and his Mooseheads in the second round of the QMJHL playoffs. I made it a point to watch him closely and although I could tell how polished his game was compared to others, there wasn't anything that screamed to me that he will be elite in the NHL. Consider me not excited if the Habs pick 3rd overall 

44 minutes ago, illWill said:

Just watched my underdog Islanders sweep Filip Zadina and his Mooseheads in the second round of the QMJHL playoffs. I made it a point to watch him closely and although I could tell how polished his game was compared to others, there wasn't anything that screamed to me that he will be elite in the NHL. Consider me not excited if the Habs pick 3rd overall 

In other words - come April 28 - all of you HW faithful better wear your lucky hat and jersey, and be prepared to do a little dance because it's raining Dahlin for the next 18 years!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

In other words - come April 28 - all of you HW faithful better wear your lucky hat and jersey, and be prepared to do a little dance because it's raining Dahlin for the next 18 years!

I dig your optimism. 

• Like 2

At this point i'm honestly more interested in who would be available in the second round. 

I don't know if Ryan McLeod would fall that far but he's a guy I think has top six centre written all over him. If someone was willing to drop down I would consider moving up for him. He's a fantastic puck possesser and passer with great speed and agility. 

Pavel Shen is a guy I would take a chance on in the second or third round. Good centre who I think people would be shy on because he's Russian but his hockey skills say he could be in the NHL, his wrister especially reminds me of Cammalleri.

I watched some Saginaw and a darkhorse pick we should chase is Jake Goldowski. He just looks like one of those guys that will one day just figure it out. It's also tough to find right handed centres in this draft and he might fall to the fourth round, maybe even further. Avoid Blade Jenkins.

• Upvote 1

10 days until the lotto fellas! Gonna be a lot of speculation after we know what pick we have. Gonna be interesting to get a clearer picture.

How do you think it’ll affect MBs game plan?

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

10 days until the lotto fellas! Gonna be a lot of speculation after we know what pick we have. Gonna be interesting to get a clearer picture.

I can definitely see him trading the pick if it's not the #1, for a young center or LD. 

If he does get the #1 pick we likely have a superstar for a long time. I also think that winning the lottery will increase the chances of signing any free agents that would be considering the Habs. 

2 hours ago, illWill said:

I can definitely see him trading the pick if it's not the #1, for a young center or LD. 

If he does get the #1 pick we likely have a superstar for a long time. I also think that winning the lottery will increase the chances of signing any free agents that would be considering the Habs. 

I think the lotto will have that kind of impact too. #1 pick is an obvious draft of Dahlin.

but 2+ I could see him packaging, simply because I think he wants to retool, not rebuild. But Unless it’s an awesome return I don’t want to see it traded. I think between Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes and Wahlstrom we have really good prospect. 

Hughes is my personal favorite in the 4-7 range. Guy is producing like mad as 17 year old in the NCAA

Edit: Hughes was 18 for most of the season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Obviously #1 pick fills a need and cant see him trading Dahlin no matter what. If get pick 2-7 it will be totally dependant on which of 30 other teams want to move up to get a certain player and what they are willing to part with to do that.

Cant see a team parting with promising young centre for any of the #2-7 ranked kids and that a young centre will need to be traded for, or go against the collusion, go all in and bid up a RFA young centre-top 4 d.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think #2 is also an automatic pick at this point.  And yes hes a winger, but Svechnikov would be our most talented forward and instant offence. 

I definitely want to see Svechnikov at 2 as well. Be sad if it got traded

The first two are sure things for me. 

Dahlin is a generational defenceman. 

Svechnikov is a Tarasenko or Laine level of forward. 

After that things are less clear (though i still wouldn't trade the pick for a quick fix). 

But this top 2 is really good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I like Svechnikov as well. wallstrom  to when it comes to pure talent.

I dont know enough to know who am pulling for, but need to see how shakes out in 10 days first. :pray:dahlindahlindahlin....

I wasn't sure where to put this question so I'm asking it here.

I read an article in the french paper and they are saying that a number of teams are interested in signing Alexandre Alain, the captain of the l’Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand. 

I presume he was undrafted?? According to the article he may be a late bloomer who has a great work ethic and could develop into a good NHL'er. The thinking is that he would be a very good AHL player with a definite shot at the NHL if he keeps developing.

Any thoughts on him. Should we or are we interested in signing him?? Evidently he scored 44 goals and had 87 points this year. 

What are your thoughts for those who follow the junior ranks?  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, REV-G said:

I read an article in the french paper and they are saying that a number of teams are interested in signing Alexandre Alain, the captain of the l’Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand. 

I presume he was undrafted?? According to the article he may be a late bloomer who has a great work ethic and could develop into a good NHL'er. The thinking is that he would be a very good AHL player with a definite shot at the NHL if he keeps developing.

Any thoughts on him. Should we or are we interested in signing him?? Evidently he scored 44 goals and had 87 points this year. 

I have tickets for next week against my Islanders so I'll pass along my amateur scouting analysis. Results may vary depending on beer consumption 

6 hours ago, REV-G said:

Should we be interested in signing him because, he has a great attitude, character, skill, or he is French, or because he actually brings much needed skill to the lineup.

i don’t care a rats ass about signings of more minor leaguers, 4th liners, or bench/depth players.  We need skill, speed, top end talent and scoring. If he doesn’t fill these needs, who cares. We can ice the 4th ones for five teams, don’t really need to get more.

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎18 at 1:35 PM, Commandant said:

Svechnikov is a Tarasenko or Laine level of forward. 

Hope he is at least better than his brother?

Laine (80g in 1st two years)? I call BS on that one.

Tarasenko seems more reasonable at least.