Free Agents: Who goes? Who stays? What do they get?

Trizzak

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Adam Cracknell - $675 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

Philip Danault - $912 500 (A)

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Michael McCarron - $863 333

Daniel Carr - $725 000 (A)

Jacob De La Rose - $725 000 (A)

Logan Shaw - $650 000 (A)

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

Tom Parisi - $717 500 (A)

Zachary Fucale - $714 167

Markus Eisenschmid - $642 500 (A)

Jeremy Gregoire - $633 333

(A) denotes arbitration eligibility. 

7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

Not a lot worth keeping there. 

• Upvote 1

Danault, JDLR, Carr, Valiev, Rychel, Shaw, are all easy resign for me. McCarron needs another chance too.

for UFAs I’d resign Terry and Cracknell, and we could possibly do Niemi as well. 

I'm pretty sure Big Mac will be resigned, if only because to not sign him would be to admit a mistake.

(But in fairness, most teams would resign a young player like that even if he just projects to be an AHL player).

Carr, to me, clearly deserves to be retained...but Habs' brass appears to regard him with little more interest than they'd give a  skate guard, so who knows.

Fucale should be kept as well, although I gather his star has fallen considerably from the breathless reports when we drafted him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm pretty sure Big Mac will be resigned, if only because to not sign him would be to admit a mistake.

(But in fairness, most teams would resign a young player like that even if he just projects to be an AHL player).

Carr, to me, clearly deserves to be retained...but Habs' brass appears to regard him with little more interest than they'd give a  skate guard, so who knows.

Fucale should be kept as well, although I gather his star has fallen considerably from the breathless reports when we drafted him.

I think we’d sign most of our RFA’s only to use them as a trading chip and not let them go for nothing.  But it’s a pretty sorry bunch.  At best we have 13rd liners and one potential 3rd liners in that bunch. But just watch MB pay Daneult 2nd line money.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2018 at 1:11 PM, Trizzak said:

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

I'd like to see Niemi, Cracknell, and Terry retained from the UFA list, but I doubt they all resign.  Lindgren just signed a 3 year extension earlier this season, so I doubt Niemi stays unless he re-signs for the same amount of money or if the Habs are looking ahead to the next expansion draft.  Cracknell and Terry would be good for Laval, but I have a feeling that Terry will look for greener pastures.  Cracknell I'm not sure of.   Hemsky is gone for sure.  Not much use for him this season and I don't see much use for a player like him (always injured) in the future.

Out of the RFAs, Parisi is the only one that I think will be let go for sure.  Gregoire, Eisenschmid, Fucale, and Shaw are question marks.  Danault gets resigned for around $3M is my guess.  I think the rest get re-signed mainly because they are young and probably have some value to both the team and in potential deals.

• Upvote 1

What I see happening.

Back

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

Gone

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

I'd like to see Niemi, Cracknell and Terry back but i doubt it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

What I see happening.

Back

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

Gone

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

I'd like to see Niemi, Cracknell and Terry back but i doubt it. 

Think you are pretty close. I seen the exerts from the press conference - nothing earth shattering . MB blames year on attitude-- Don't know how he gets a pass. If they don't do a damn other thing , just pray that SLY is gone.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Sarcasm aside, that's probably a more realistic possibility than you might think.

Wouldn't be a fan of that, but he might be OK as an assistant? But, I do hope they hire a young'ish' QMJHL coach or two worth grooming, not any more ex-habs for AHL team.

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

I took a look at what the expansion draft may be for Seattle and changed things a little bit. For example, I thnik they may be giving some 1 year contract extensions to RFAs this year to avoid protecting them in the expansion draft.

(I would try to sign all, but for different reasons.)

NHL: Niemi, Danault (1 yr), de LaRose (1 yr)

AHL & NHL depth: Rychel (1 yr), Carr (1 yr), Valiev (1 yr), L. Shaw (1 yr), McCarron (1 yr)

AHLers: Cracknell, Terry, Fucale, Eisenschmid, Gregoire, Parisi

I am hoping we will have to waive: Carr, Valiev, L. Shaw and McCarron because the lineup in Montreal would have improved so much this summer... hopeful thinking :)

Edited by alfredoh2009
edited after looking at Expansion draft summer 2019

On 4/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, DON said:

Wouldn't be a fan of that, but he might be OK as an assistant? But, I do hope they hire a young'ish' QMJHL coach or two worth grooming, not any more ex-habs for AHL team.

He was an NHL assistant once before with Colorado.  It didn't go well.

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I took a look at what the expansion draft may be for Seattle and changed things a little bit. For example, I thnik they may be giving some 1 year contract extensions to RFAs this year to avoid protecting them in the expansion draft.

(I would try to sign all, but for different reasons.)

NHL: Niemi, Danault (1 yr), de LaRose (1 yr)

AHL & NHL depth: Rychel (1 yr), Carr (1 yr), Valiev (1 yr), L. Shaw (1 yr), McCarron (1 yr)

AHLers: Cracknell, Terry, Fucale, Eisenschmid, Gregoire, Parisi

If a player is a restricted free agent, he's still required to be protected for expansion.  Teams can't just sign all of their players to short-term deals to get around the protection requirements.

Oh! I tried :huh: , didn't know it couldn't be done.

i thought the CH did something similar last year where they had a bunch of UFAs before the expansion draft 

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Oh! I tried :huh: , didn't know it couldn't be done.

i thought the CH did something similar last year where they had a bunch of UFAs before the expansion draft 

There's a big difference between the RFA and the UFA here.  With an RFA, signed or not, they remain under team control through the expansion process.  A UFA with an expiring contract is set to become an outright free agent a couple of weeks after the draft.  Teams with pending UFAs could wait until after the Expansion Draft to re-sign them as the new team wouldn't necessarily want to pick a player they could lose for nothing shortly thereafter.  That's not the same risk for RFAs.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There's a big difference between the RFA and the UFA here.  With an RFA, signed or not, they remain under team control through the expansion process.  A UFA with an expiring contract is set to become an outright free agent a couple of weeks after the draft.  Teams with pending UFAs could wait until after the Expansion Draft to re-sign them as the new team wouldn't necessarily want to pick a player they could lose for nothing shortly thereafter.  That's not the same risk for RFAs.

I knew that about RFs vs UFAs, but I was hoping that the CH could offer 1 yr deals to some pending RFAs to avoid having to protect them. We will lose a core player in the next next expansion draft for sure. Even if it does not show yet, I think we are deeper than in 2016... I'll check this later to see if I remember correctly

Line-up in 2016 looked something like this:

Pacioretty    -Galcheynuk    -Gallagher

Eller              -Plekanec         -Carr

Lessio         -Desharnais     -Andrighetto

Byron          -Danault            -Mitchell

Flynn/Brown

Markov      -Subban

Emelin      -Petry

Beaulieu   -Pateryn

Barberio/Bartley/Gilbert

Condon/(Price hurt)

Lehkonen, Drouin, A. Shaw, and more mature DLR & Danault give us more depth now. Hudon, Scherbak have upside.

Lindgren is an improvement over Condon (or at least equivalent).

Juulsen, Mete, the new and improved Petry, even Rielly are an improvement over 2016...

• 2 weeks later...

Habs UFAs:

Antti Niemi - $700 000

Ales Hemsky - $1 000 000

Chris Terry - $650 000

Habs RFAs:

Kerby Rychel - $863 333

Rinat Valiev - $778 333

Ok, looked at it another time, and here is what I would do:

Rychel & McCarron = one year deals

DLR, L.Shaw, Valiev, Parisi, Fucale, Eisenschmid, Gregoire = qualified

Danault = locked up for reasonable term/cap

=> My 4th line would be Delaurier/McCarron/Rychel until the talent in the farm develops :)

Your fourth line has three of the slowest skaters in the NHL, all on the same line. 

That line will not work.  

You can hide one or two of them in the lineup, but putting all three together, yikes. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Your fourth line has three of the slowest skaters in the NHL, all on the same line. 

That line will not work.  

You can hide one or two of them in the lineup, but putting all three together, yikes. 

I know, but I am posting it because Inthink those three players could make it work since they are similar. They would be motivated to improve skating to stay in the NHL and for one year Inwould give them their 6min per game

One element that is a little concerning with Carr is his arbitration eligibility.  Any agent is going to make the case that extrapolated over a full season, Carr is a 30-point player which could yield an award a lot higher than the Habs want to pay.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs try to reach an agreement before the qualifying offer deadline and if they can't reach one, they'll let him go unqualified over risking being locked into a higher arbitration award.  (While there are walkaway rights, the salary has to be at a certain threshold to do so and Carr's wouldn't be high enough for that to be an option.)

• Upvote 1