Free Agents: Who goes? Who stays? What do they get?

Trizzak

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Deslauriers is in his late 20s... Rychel and McCarron are 23. 

If they can't skate well by now, there is no "motivated to improve skating" at this point

I guess I am striking out again as armchair GM :huh:

I was looking at the lineup and the depth, and it seems to me we have too many 3rd liners and that even if L.Shaw and Froese may have outperformed McCarron/Rychel I would still hope (at least for the pre-season) to give them one last shot. They are 1st round picks after all. I think they may be able to play a slower pace game, but provide the toughness missing on the lineup. Very old school, but heck...

It would give the CH some tradable forwards for some near-future relief.

21 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

We just have to pray price and Weber are in contact with Tavares 

I have no doubt that they are. And they are two of the players with the very best "reps" in the entire sport, so beyond JT's personal bond with them, their words will probably carry some weight. Reports also have Tavares attracted to the idea of playing for a "classic" franchise like the CH. Unlike some people, I have not given up on JT to the Habs.

On 4/29/2018 at 10:40 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Reports also have Tavares attracted to the idea of playing for a "classic" franchise like the CH. Unlike some people, I have not given up on JT to the Habs.

Yeah I wouldn't believe a single report aboot Tavares right now. I wouldn't buy into a report that said he wanted to play with Subban or that he wanted to be reunited with Okposo. I don't believe a single report is coming from something he said. He's a private guy.

The only thing we know is he wants to see what his options are. Which is what Stamkos wanted as well. Everything else is speculation and fabrication.

• 3 weeks later...

According to a recent TSN article, the Sharks are planning on signing Evander Kane, and pay him around $7M per season; San Jose was one of the teams rumoured to be interested in signing Tavares. That would eat up a big chunk of their available cap space and would take them out of the JT sweepstakes. So either they believe Tavares will stay with the Islanders, or they think he's interested in signing with another team.  

I would love to see the Habs sign Tavares, but I am doubtful Montreal is his key destination.  Paul Stastny is a possible signee for the Habs if they overpay to get him. Since the Habs do not have a true #1 or #2 center, Stastny would at least fit the second slot role. 

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-is-kane-worth-7-million-1.1093762

It’s a bit troubling. I’m one of the few who think Pacioretty is worth resigning at 6-7 million but if Kane is worth 7 mil, then Pacioretty is definitely worth at least 7 million as well. Kane is 26 and Pacioretty will be 30 though, so there is a little bit of a difference there but the career statistics are definitely in Pacioretty’s favor. It’s an ironic situation because if Pacioretty has another down year, we might be able to save on his next contract, but if he has another down year, no Habs fan will want him on our team anymore. If he has a good season, most people will want him shipped out at the deadline because he’s going to want “too much”, or because they already wanted him gone. 

After Kane's signing

San Jose has 21 players signed for next season at 67.5 million in cap hit. 

they need to re-sign Hertl... lets say that's 4 million

they need to re-sign Chris Tierney.... lets say thats 2 million. 

After their signings, that puts them at a 23 man roster... to sign another free agent means someone is going to the minors so that frees up.... 1 million. 

That puts them at 72.5 million 

With a rumoured cap of up to 82 million, I wouldn't take them out of the tavares sweepstakes yet. 

It wouldn't take much to trade hertl, or buy out Mikkel Boedker, or Paul Martin.... or trade Logan couture or Joe Pavelski (both are 6 million cap hits and UFA in 2019).

If they have a chance at Tavares, and Tavares wants to sign.... .making the space to fit him is possible.

There are a number of teams in that boat.  If you have a chance at Tavares, you can find a way. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s a bit troubling. I’m one of the few who think Pacioretty is worth resigning at 6-7 million but if Kane is worth 7 mil, then Pacioretty is definitely worth at least 7 million as well. Kane is 26 and Pacioretty will be 30 though, so there is a little bit of a difference there but the career statistics are definitely in Pacioretty’s favor. It’s an ironic situation because if Pacioretty has another down year, we might be able to save on his next contract, but if he has another down year, no Habs fan will want him on our team anymore. If he has a good season, most people will want him shipped out at the deadline because he’s going to want “too much”, or because they already wanted him gone. 

Un this context, signing Pacioretty at $7M annual cap hit but front heavily loaded would be fine with me. But expensive contracts like Alzner and Shaw would need to move to improve the roster (e.g J.Tavares)

Tyler Bozak or Tomas Plekanec, who would you prefer?  And don’t say neither.

My gut tells me Plex is signing back here on a one-way deal.

On 2018-05-26 at 11:18 AM, JGC21 said:

Tyler Bozak or Tomas Plekanec, who would you prefer?  And don’t say neither.

My gut tells me Plex is signing back here on a one-way deal.

Plex, to groom him as a coach or Czech/Euro scout

It sounds like Markus Eisenschmid is drawing a lot of interest in the DEL with Kolner Haie being a frontrunner.  If he can agree to terms there in the next few weeks, the Habs could still issue a qualifying offer to retain his NHL rights like they did with Max Friberg last summer.

I wonder if Carr either accepts his qualifying offer or goes to arbitration for more money... a 1 year deal takes him to UFA, no? Seems like he'd go for a payday ASAP and take a chance with another team that might play him in a more regular role.

28 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I wonder if Carr either accepts his qualifying offer or goes to arbitration for more money... a 1 year deal takes him to UFA, no? Seems like he'd go for a payday ASAP and take a chance with another team that might play him in a more regular role.

Arbitration would still be a 1 year deal.  So from a UFA standpoint there is no advantage to this. 

You can only get a 2 year arb award if the player has two years of RFA status left (and the team asks for 2 instead of 1).

Carr likely could fine a spot on some other team to play more, but seems he is redundant or just not a good fit on Habs.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Arbitration would still be a 1 year deal.  So from a UFA standpoint there is no advantage to this. 

You can only get a 2 year arb award if the player has two years of RFA status left (and the team asks for 2 instead of 1).

That's my point. Does he take the guaranteed raise on the qualifying offer, or go to arbitration (which has historically been player friendly in it's decisions)? Either way it's a 1 year deal and then he owns his own future. I'll be very surprised if he accepts a multi-year deal with the Habs this summer.

28 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

That's my point. Does he take the guaranteed raise on the qualifying offer, or go to arbitration (which has historically been player friendly in it's decisions)? Either way it's a 1 year deal and then he owns his own future. I'll be very surprised if he accepts a multi-year deal with the Habs this summer.

If he gets a qualifying offer (and at the moment, I'd say the odds of that are low because of the arbitration factor), why wouldn't he opt for arbitration if it gets him more money?  He's going to get the guaranteed raise no matter what unless the Habs qualify him and then file at a pay cut which is really rare.  Carr has enough of a case to get a seven-figure payday without much difficulty...which is why he probably doesn't get qualified as that's too much for a player who doesn't project to be a regular for next season.