How to Fix the Habs 2018

d zephyr

I listened to the press conference and he didn't impress me there, he was underwhelming

but listening to the interview afterwards he sounded ready to make the changes needs to redeem himsel

he better deliver 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He also re-stated that he did set the market for Radu with his initial offer made in January, but the agent's term request was for 8 yrs, that didn't change until June. He restated that his offer was the exact same as what he got from Dallas not less because of taxes.

He also took the blame for misjudging (his word) on the quality of his défense. He said he wants to be the one to mend this

He also told everyone publicly it was a final offer so he didn't try to beat it. Bad GMing.

And oh he's the one to fix the defence he created? How convenient. 

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I listened to the press conference and he didn't impress me there, he was underwhelming

but listening to the interview afterwards he sounded ready to make the changes needs to redeem himsel

he better deliver 

Agree on the press conference, "attitude" is new issue I guess and transparency also to be a new goal.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Agree on the press conference, "attitude" is new issue I guess and transparency also to be a new goal.

Also better food at the bell centre.  This is another strategy for them to fix the team.

33 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He also told everyone publicly it was a final offer so he didn't try to beat it. Bad GMing

Yes, what did he say, "I offered him same deal...I cant just give him a million more." I was thinking why not, he overpaid for likes of Briere, Shaw, Moan, Plekanec, DD, Emelin, Alzner and Radulov is a bit better player.

Edited by DON
add Shaw
  • Like 1

Pray the ping pong balls fall correctly on April 28th and Montreal wins draft lottery and selects Rasmus Dahlin

Then pray that Tavares doesn't resign with The NYI and signs with Montreal.

Id trade Pacioretty since he'll be unaffordable after next year.

Lehkonen    Tavares    Scherbak

Drouin   Galchenyuk  Gallagher

Bryon  Danault   Hudon

Deslaurier A Shaw Rychel  de la Rose

Mete            Weber

Dahlin          Petry

Benn      Reilly     Juulsen

Price

Lindgren

Since all of this is highly unlikely I'm not sure how you fix what's wrong with this team

1 hour ago, kaos said:

Pray the ping pong balls fall correctly on April 28th and Montreal wins draft lottery and selects Rasmus Dahlin

Then pray that Tavares doesn't resign with The NYI and signs with Montreal.

Id trade Pacioretty since he'll be unaffordable after next year.

Lehkonen    Tavares    Scherbak

Drouin   Galchenyuk  Gallagher

Bryon  Danault   Hudon

Deslaurier A Shaw Rychel  de la Rose

Mete            Weber

Dahlin          Petry

Benn      Reilly     Juulsen

Price

Lindgren

Since all of this is highly unlikely I'm not sure how you fix what's wrong with this team

I can’t see anything fixed with this team until the biggest problem - it’s management is fixed.  I had to hold off posting anything after yesterday’s ridiculous press conference.  Is there anyone actually left that supports that moron MB???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can’t see anything fixed with this team until the biggest problem - it’s management is fixed.  I had to hold off posting anything after yesterday’s ridiculous press conference.  Is there anyone actually left that supports that moron MB???

Me! Me! Me! :wavetowel:

It's pretty discouraging. kaos's post is sound. Even without Tavares and Dahlin, I can see a scenario where the Habs get back to being a decent team and make the playoffs. But I have a whole heap of trouble imagining a scenario whereby they become legitimate contenders. In the past I posited a 3-year retool with contention being possible around year three. That's surely still possible, but it'd require a management group with a cold eye for the right moves. Which we haven't got.

1 hour ago, kaos said:

Need to trade for a centre and add a top 4 d-man as well.

(not a secret, but to make it happen will not be easy)

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Need to trade for a centre and add a top 4 d-man as well.

(not a secret, but to make it happen will not be easy)

It would be interesting to hear specific ideas on "how to fix the Habs" that do NOT include Tavares and Dahlin.  That, after all, is the likeliest scenario.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would be interesting to hear specific ideas on "how to fix the Habs" that do NOT include Tavares and Dahlin.  That, after all, is the likeliest scenario.

Sign Nick Holden

Sign Paul Stastny

Trade Pacioretty + draft pick for Jeff Carter

Before I hear how old he is, we’re basically the youngest team in the league.

Sign James Neal/JVR

Neal - Carter - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Stastny - Drouin

Hudon - Danault - Scherbak

Deslauriers - Shaw - Lehkonen

Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly/Schlemko

Price

Niemi

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Sign Nick Holden

Sign Paul Stastny

Sign James Neal/JVR

Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly/Schlemko

Price

Niemi

Because of his age would he cost pacioretty plus a pick? Probably because he’s a center I suppose.

interesting couple options for sure. I actually like it

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Because of his age would he cost pacioretty plus a pick? Probably because he’s a center I suppose.

It's a classic "patchwork" lineup that probably would be quite competitive on the front end, before those old players start declining. Best we can realistically hope for, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a classic "patchwork" lineup that probably would be quite competitive on the front end, before those old players start declining. Best we can realistically hope for, I suppose.

The title of the thread. 

I read it as how to have a competitive team next year.

8 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Carter also has a few years left at a decent hit whereas Pacioretty’s contract is expiring. 

43 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Sign Nick Holden

Sign Paul Stastny

Sign James Neal/JVR

Holden - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Mete - Reilly/Schlemko

Price

Niemi

I like the top six. That defence is still embarrassing.

Also don't know how the Habs afford Neal/Carter/Stastny/Holden. Or why Neal leaves Vegas.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Stop gap Paul Stastny

Trade Pacioretty for a young centre we are developping (Robert Thomas, Sam Steel, Henrik Borgstrom, etc...) and a 1st rounder (2019)

Trade Paul Byron for help at LD.

Take the best available prospect with our first round pick, even if its a winger.

Use the four 2nd round picks are all centres and dmen.  

This isn't turning you into a contender right away... the idea is get back into the playoffs next year.  Have a bunch of picks, get some centres and defence to build with, and be ready to contend in year 3. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Stop gap Paul Stastny

Trade Pacioretty for a young centre we are developping (Robert Thomas, Sam Steel, Henrik Borgstrom, etc...) and a 1st rounder (2019)

Trade Paul Byron for help at LD.

Take the best available prospect with our first round pick, even if its a winger.

Use the four 2nd round picks are all centres and dmen.  

This isn't turning you into a contender right away... the idea is get back into the playoffs next year.  Have a bunch of picks, get some centres and defence to build with, and be ready to contend in year 3. 

- Accept the fact that Sylvain Lefebvre will be an assistant coach next season so what's the point ;)

8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

- Accept the fact that Sylvain Lefebvre will be an assistant coach next season so what's the point ;)

I was under the impression that I was being named GM in this hypothetical scenario and I had to fix the Habs. 

Lefebvre would be the first one fired... it went without saying. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I was under the impression that I was being named GM in this hypothetical scenario and I had to fix the Habs. 

Lefebvre would be the first one fired... it went without saying. 

Really? The first? I'd expect you to be stomping down the hallways shouting, "WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR SCOUTING MIKE MCCARRON!?"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Really? The first? I'd expect you to be stomping down the hallways shouting, "WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR SCOUTING MIKE MCCARRON!?"

I just assumed that was bergevin's hurr durr reaction to the 2013 Ottawa series that demanded McCarron and Crisp, and also signed Parros and Douglas Murray, but finding that scouting report is actually a good idea. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I just assumed that was bergevin's hurr durr reaction to the 2013 Ottawa series that demanded McCarron and Crisp, and also signed Parros and Douglas Murray, but finding that scouting report is actually a good idea. 

When McCarron was drafted, one of the first people to get a photo with him up on the podium was North American amateur scout Frank Jay.

He now works for the Oilers.