2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

My ask is big.  Do I expect to get all of that?  Probably not, but you have to start by asking huge. 

Philly might make a different counter proposal. 

The Flyers first rounder + German Rubtsov + Defence prospect for Pacioretty + Leafs 2nd 

That's negotiations.... 

as for teams trading for a player, and then trading him at the deadline, it wouldn't be the first time.  That is how we got Vanek and that is far from the only example

Who do people have winning this year? It’s still early enough to be honest. My pre playoff bracket had Pittsburgh besting darkhorse San Jose in the final for their 3-peat. Feels unlikely because it’s the same final as two years ago. 

Tampa and Winnipeg are looking pretty good as well but I’m going to stick with what I went with pre playoffs because I have to! 

Pittsburgh > Sharks in 6

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Who do people have winning this year? It’s still early enough to be honest. My pre playoff bracket had Pittsburgh besting darkhorse San Jose in the final for their 3-peat. Feels unlikely because it’s the same final as two years ago. 

Tampa and Winnipeg are looking pretty good as well but I’m going to stick with what I went with pre playoffs because I have to! 

Pittsburgh > Sharks in 6

I have Columbus as a darkhorse, although I don’t think they’ll make it out of the conference finals

I'm hoping for a Sharks sweep of the Ducks to push the Ducks to be more receptive to trading some of their assets. That may be good for the Habs!

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The least surprising signing of the summer will be Evander Kane with the Sharks. What a fit.

That’s what happens, when you don’t have a GM hung up on red herrings like attitude, character and leadership.  Next year the excuse will probably be the effect that the moons of Jupiter had on the team.

not saying that Kane never had any issues, but you stick with a young player with skill.  SJ b benefited by willing to take chance on a skilled player with size and speed, who was viewed as a dressing room cancer.  They also got Thornton cheap, because he was as perceived to be fragile by the Bruins. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure how I feel about the strategy used by New Jersey and Washington this post season. I guess strategy may not be the right word, but both teams used their second string goalies to start the playoffs and both teams started off their respective series’ down 0-2.

By game 3, both teams have decided to go back to their more conventional starting goalie. 

In both cases, Schneider and Holtby had been struggling during the regular season and their backups had been playing well, but it feels no different than had we entered the playoffs starting Niemi over Price. 

It’s still early, but this shows me that having the goaltender position locked up is extremely important. I think having a capable backup is also extremely important in the playoffs but to start them? Is Holtby Grubauer’s backup game 1 next season? Is Kinkaid the number 1 over Schneider come October next year? One New Jersey player even went as far as to say that Schneider has been their backbone all season, and this is despite the fact he hadn’t won a game since December. Clearly, we know how the players feel. I think both cases are doubtful and these decisions may be the reason these teams get knocked out in the first round. 

Plex played a hell of a game for the Leafs last night...frustrated Marchand and Bergeron often with his checking.  I hadn't seen him play a game that well in a couple of years.

On 4/16/2018 at 2:11 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Pittsburgh > Sharks in 6

I don't pretend to know who will win...but I know who I WANT to see win... :):)

Image result for pk subban

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That’s what I want to see as well - best way to stick it to Molson and MB!  ? 

i had Nashville and Tampa in the final, but I think Pittsburgh probably has in easier path to the eastern final.

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ll be surprised if they do but they’re top 4-5 favorites. 

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Glen Gulutzen and his assistant coaches have been fired in Calgary. 

Expectation here was that Burke would also be fired, but he managed to keep his job.  Flames at least took the right amount of time to assess and than take action - unlike Molson who before the season was over said MB is coming back.

i can’t believe how MB, Chiarelli and Snow still have jobs!

My bracket has Nashville beating vegas and Pittsburgh beating boston. Nashville winning the cup. Picked new Jersey for dark horse.

Bobrovsky is unreal right now. Gonna be tough for Washington to get to the second round. 

2 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

MB sold this teams hearts...   all we have is Gallagher and a bunch of mediatrained zombies now...

'Character' :rolleyes:

Remember when Ronald Corey purged us of bad boys because he wanted 'good family men?' Luckily Serge Savard was *mostly* able to manage effectively within that ridiculous constraint. 

You know what kind of 'character' matters? Showing up to play every game and wanting to win. Everything else is bullcrap.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

My bracket has Nashville beating vegas and Pittsburgh beating boston. Nashville winning the cup.

Mine looks the same.  I agonized over whether Boston or Pittsburgh will come out on top for quite awhile.  Nashville has me concerned...they have yet to play a solid 60 minutes, and Colorado has enough firepower to make them pay for taking the first 20-30 minutes of the game off as they sometimes do.

23 minutes ago, Chris said:

I doubt it,  

Pacioretty doesn;t score in the playoffs either

As you write this.... Marc-Andre Fleury and Patrick Marleau are proving the clutch/choke arguments are a myth; and simply a matter of small sample size. 

Regular season results are a better indicator of future playoff results, then past playoff results are. 

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Maybe, 

Pacioretty doesn't elevate his game enough IMO when it counts. 

"elevate your game when it counts" is a media narrative that sounds better than.... players are streaky and the playoffs are a small sample size. Some players will be cold and some will be hot. 

In Pacioretty's case, it's also a lot easier for an opposing team to focus on a winger and shutting him down, when he is the main source of offence on the team, and there is no #1 centre to drive the play. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic