2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

It’s not the biggest deal to me but last year we had the three highest offensive point totals by defensemen get nominated for the Norris.  This year Burns was second highest in points and didn’t get nominated so I’m not sure it can be said that he was nominated for his defensive play last year, otherwise he’d be in the running year after year. The criteria seems to be different each year. 

Burns had a rough start this year and I wasn’t saying he should have been nominated, but the point was that since he wasn’t nominated this year, I don’t believe that he’s necessarily outstanding defensively and that being the reason he won last year. He won because of his offensive output with admittedly an outstanding 29 goals. Outside of the goals, he won last year after having won the scoring race with only 8 points more than Carlson had this year and only 4 more points than the second leading scorer amongst defensemen last year. He didn’t blow them away. 

I think Hedman wins as well but if I’m Carlson, I have to believe that I’ll never win the Norris in this league after not even having been nominated after a season like this. Some will say that’s fine and he shouldn’t. I think Washington’s defense is only slightly less porous than ours and he carried the load. 

58 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s not the biggest deal to me but last year we had the three highest offensive point totals by defensemen get nominated for the Norris.  This year Burns was second highest in points and didn’t get nominated so I’m not sure it can be said that he was nominated for his defensive play last year, otherwise he’d be in the running year after year. The criteria seems to be different each year. 

Burns had a rough start this year and I wasn’t saying he should have been nominated, but the point was that since he wasn’t nominated this year, I don’t believe that he’s necessarily outstanding defensively and that being the reason he won last year. He won because of his offensive output with admittedly an outstanding 29 goals. Outside of the goals, he won last year after having won the scoring race with only 8 points more than Carlson had this year and only 4 more points than the second leading scorer amongst defensemen last year. He didn’t blow them away. 

I think Hedman wins as well but if I’m Carlson, I have to believe that I’ll never win the Norris in this league after not even having been nominated after a season like this. Some will say that’s fine and he shouldn’t. I think Washington’s defense is only slightly less porous than ours and he carried the load. 

I like Carlson, but given the offensive power the caps is, he will get his points and racking up assists should be pretty easy - he is not driving the play for the caps. His an important piece, but he isn’t even close to being as important as Burns was to San Jose.

scoring close to 30 goals as a dman and being effective defensively merits a Norris.  

Carlson not being in contention is not the same as rod Langway getting the Norris when Coffey had over 120 points.  All three nominees are solid defensively and offensively this year and no one ran away with the defencemen scoring lead this year.

i think Seth Jones deserves it this year. Subban’s offensive play dropped a bit at the end and  wasn’t Hedman hurt for a bit?

one bad move that Poile did make was moving Jones.  I think he should have tried moving Weber for Johansen.

You would think  Subban’s Defensive  zone starts etc. would be as such considering  his partner is Ekholm who is very under rated defensively himself and there defacto shutdown defender?...

jones has an exceptional partner in werenski that drastically helps.

pk has ekholm

doughty and Hedman not so much..

doughty

hedman

Jones

PK

Carlson 

Subban's most common linemate this season is Emelin, over 200 minutes than Ekholm: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?season=20172018&stype=2&sit=5v5&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=t&playerid=8474056

Doughty had Fobort the most, Hedman had Dotchin and Stralman.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Burns scored almost 30 goals last year, which was like 10+ goals more than the next highest defenceman. 

thats the difference.  When the offense is overwhelming, it is hard to argue against.   Carlsson's offence wasn't overwhelming... he was barely ahead in points, and his lead was based entirely on secondary assists, as hedman and Subban beat him in primary points. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

You would think  Subban’s Defensive  zone starts etc. would be as such considering  his partner is Ekholm who is very under rated defensively himself and there defacto shutdown defender?...

jones has an exceptional partner in werenski that drastically helps.

pk has ekholm

doughty and Hedman not so much..

doughty

hedman

Jones

PK

Carlson 

Subban is playing with Ekholm now.  He didn't during most of the season. Ekholm played with Josi when Ellis was hurt, which was more than half the season. 

Subban played a lot of minutes with Emelin. 

This again says a lot about how much the Preds rely on Subban defensively and how much they trust him.  When Josi's partner was hurt, they were sure to make sure that the player beside Josi was one of their big 4 defenceman.... while promoting a bottom pair guy to play with Subban, and still trusting Subban and the bottom pair D to take the toughest zone starts and opposition. 

We're all rooting against the Leafs harder than any other team, even against the hated Bruins, right?  We want the coverage to be sad, and to avoid the arrogance and smugness that so quickly surfaces.  We want the Leafs to be losers forever, don't we? 

I want the leafs out because we own their second round pick... so the sooner they are out, the higher that will be.  

if they make the conference finals, its not good for our pick. 

Same with Washington. 

41 minutes ago, Neech said:

We're all rooting against the Leafs harder than any other team, even against the hated Bruins, right?  We want the coverage to be sad, and to avoid the arrogance and smugness that so quickly surfaces.  We want the Leafs to be losers forever, don't we? 

No question. Like I say, when Hitler fights Stalin, ya gotta cheer for Stalin. So, here's to the Leafs losing.

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No question. Like I say, when Hitler fights Stalin, ya gotta cheer for Stalin. So, here's to the Leafs losing.

There’s good ol’ Godwins Law again, god that cracks me up hahha

2 hours ago, Neech said:

I hate the leafs, Toronto, the Toronto centric media, but i despise, loathe the Bruins, their organization, their owner and everything they stand for.  As much as it hurts to say so, I’d pick the leafs over the Bruins - unfortunately the Bruins will win, but IMO, the Toronto rivalry is media driven, but has been dead since 1967.  The Bruins rivalry is real - they are the true enemy.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Bruins and Jacobs are worse IMO. 

47 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I like to watch the city of Toronto suffer when it comes to sports. 

I can watch Boston suffer in the second round.

The thing is Toronto would lose in the second round for sure.  Boston has a much better chance of going deep.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hate the leafs, Toronto, the Toronto centric media, but i despise, loathe the Bruins, their organization, their owner and everything they stand for.  As much as it hurts to say so, I’d pick the leafs over the Bruins - unfortunately the Bruins will win, but IMO, the Toronto rivalry is media driven, but has been dead since 1967.  The Bruins rivalry is real - they are the true enemy.

I hate them both. 

Like you I hate the Bruins more, and i live in the middle of Leafs country and have more annoying Leaf fans as friends than Bruins fans. 

In most circumstances I'd hope the Leafs would win the series. 

But with the draft pick, I want the Leafs OUT. 

That said, I'm cheering for the asteroid. 

Yes yes  Subban played with emelin to start the season while Ellis was hurt because Ekholm was moved up the line up to play with Josi. That doesn’t change the fact that Ekholm is PK’s Partner... and has been for the last 44 games of the reg season as Ellis didn’t miss “more then half”...

PK’s season took off once reunited with Ekholm and those  2 became one of the best shut down pairs in all of hockey.

Pk is a worthy finalist and i don’t need to be told PK’s fantastic. I know so.

But like I said 

pk has Ekholm and Jones has Werenski both head and shoulders better then doughty and hedmans partner. Added to the fact that there’s an argument to be made that PK isn’t even the best D on his own team...

I love PK but I’ll have to give the nod to doughty then hedman.

Funny, his coach uses him like the best defenceman on the team. 

And the fact was he excelled when paired with Emelin.

And the fact is he did play more than half the season with Emelin... we've already seen this from the ice time charts. 

Why do you argue against numbers that are easily verifiable.  Fact Subban played more minutes with Emelin than Ekholm.  The NHL tracks this, 

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Subban won't win, unfortunately, but how anyone can deny he's a worthy nominee is beyond me.

Your analysis is excellent. I always said Subban's supposedly unreliable defensive play was grossly exaggerated; in fact he is awesome in his own zone and always was (he just used to indulge in 'high risk' plays now and then, which, as I maintained at the time, usually weren't truly high risk, because he was superb at recovering from his mistakes. Otherwise put, most of these plays were 'high risk' for David Schlemko, not PK Subban). When I watch NASH games I see PK routinely controlling and managing the play in ways that no defenceman on our team can dream of doing. And no this is not a slag on Weber, but that kind of overall game-management is not really what Weber provides (even though it's what the Habs desperately need). PK has matured into a 'general' out there, exactly what the Habs claimed they wanted him to be in the first place.

Roman Josi: 38th overall pick. PK Subban: 43rd overall pick.

That's the kind of drafting you have to have if you aren't a 'tanking' franchise.

https://www.nhl.com/video/andrighettos-late-go-ahead-goal/t-297850294/c-60028603

Looks like Subban was the last man back on Colorado’s game winning goal today.

PS: I don’t miss him but I liked Andrighetto. Everyone was fine with the trade but I think Andrighetto for Martinsen was one of MB’s lesser trades.

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

https://www.nhl.com/video/andrighettos-late-go-ahead-goal/t-297850294/c-60028603

Looks like Subban was the last man back on Colorado’s game winning goal today.

PS: I don’t miss him but I liked Andrighetto. Everyone was fine with the trade but I think Andrighetto for Martinsen was one of MB’s lesser trades.

It was Ellis. Pk pinched in to force a play that didn't pan out.

I am happy for Sven, like Hudon and Carr: he can provide secondary scoring

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It was Ellis. Pk pinched in to force a play that didn't pan out.

I am happy for Sven, like Hudon and Carr: he can provide secondary scoring

I said last man back (checking), not the first man back. I get how it can be interpreted multiple ways though. 

In my opinion, there came a point where Subban stopped recovering as well after his turnovers. In his first few seasons and in junior, he’d be the first man back even after he was the one to turn the puck over because of his anticipation and blazing speed. I noticed even when he was on the Habs that this was starting to fade away a little. 

I was saying that in response to how he recovers well after making mistakes, although it seems that the comment was specific to how it’s a myth that he’s not good in his own zone. I agree that P.K. is solid in his own zone. It’s more the offensive blue line turnovers and neutral zone turnovers that can prove costly (for any player). I just found that P.K. used to recover better from those situations than he does now.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Columbus & Cap forwards, some up to 26minutes/game average, with the OT played. 

I don't understand Tort's recent lack of faith in the fourth line. In the double OT game on Tuesday the 4th line played 6, 8, and 8 minutes. I don't think they saw a single shift in the 3rd period or 1st OT. The Jackets have good depth - their fourth line is by no means a liability.

So bummed about being down 3-2 to the Caps. After going up 2-0 in the series, I didn't have any inkling that my tickets to game 6 would be for an elimination game in favor of the Caps.

The west has tough picks next round. Nashville and San Jose winning would have the past two cup finalists facing off in the conference final. 

13 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The west has tough picks next round. Nashville and San Jose winning would have the past two cup finalists facing off in the conference final. 

Potentially the toughest and best series in the playoffs is nashville vs Winnipeg.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic