2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

25 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Super happy for Plekanec right now.

He has been a playoff warrior for the Leafs, without him know knows if they even get this far.

I can't do it. It is like mutually breaking up with a girl and then you cheer her on as she starts dating a guy you hate. 

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

I can't do it. It is like mutually breaking up with a girl and then you cheer her on as she starts dating a guy you hate. 

I get it.

Personally I never really got behind the whole Leafs/Habs rivalry though. Toronto hasn’t been a threat for so long, I really stopped caring about them. Obviously fans and the media are super annoying.

The Bruins though, now there is a rivalry I can get behind.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I realized during this Leafs/ Bruins series than under no circumstances, ever, will I cheer for the Leafs to win. Even typing Leafs and win in the same sentence feels wrong. I almost typed go Bruins but I can’t do that either....I am starting to hate Bergevi?.

Go Knights! 

11 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Super happy for Plekanec right now.

He has been a playoff warrior for the Leafs, without him know knows if they even get this far.

Same here, seeing him do his thing on the final minutes and scoring the empty netter to plant the stake  at the Bruins' heart : Priceless !

10 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

4 in a row. Leave it to the Jackets to choke worse than the Caps. Bob laid an absolute egg.

I'm actually happy for the Caps, a team that has suffered enough playoff misery to make it somewhat sympathetic. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm actually happy for the Caps, a team that has suffered enough playoff misery to make it somewhat sympathetic. 

Same here.  And I hope they beat the Pens.  I’m sick of the narrative that ovechkin doesn’t get it done in the playoffs.  The guy is basically a point a game player. Just doesn’t have a Malkin to support him.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Same here.  And I hope they beat the Pens.  I’m sick of the narrative that ovechkin doesn’t get it done in the playoffs.  The guy is basically a point a game player. Just doesn’t have a Malkin to support him.

The true issue with Washington has always been coaching. Trotz is overrated, Boudreau has been exposed several times, Oates was a numbskull, etc. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm rooting for the Caps out of the East now, but 19 years without a playoff series win for Columbus. That's not even sympathetic; it's pitiable.

I would be very happy to see the Capitals beat the Penguins, but the Penguins have a much better coach. I would be shocked to see the Caps outcoach the Penguins, which is why if they win, it's going to be a game seven overtime fight to the death. The winner of the Atlantic division might play cleanup after that.

3 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I'm rooting for the Caps out of the East now, but 19 years without a playoff series win for Columbus. That's not even sympathetic; it's pitiable.

Columbus has a real die-hard fan base - that's a REAL expansion  success story, where the fans support the team even after two decades of futility. Screw this Las Vegas or Colorado Avalanche bull-dink where the city gets a stacked team, and screw this PHX-FLA bull-crap where useless and unloved franchises are kept on life support so Gary Butthead can prove a point.

That said, there is a special kind of pathetic in seeing an all-time great player like Ovechkin, and teams that were stacked enough to win, failing over and over again in the playoffs. I delighted in seeing them fail when they were cocky youngsters (and especially in 2010!!) but by this point it's wince-inducing.  Like the core in San Jose, they need a deep run to redeem their basic dignity and not have a huge shadow over their entire careers.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Columbus has a real die-hard fan base - that's a REAL expansion  success story, where the fans support the team even after two decades of futility. Screw this Las Vegas or Colorado Avalanche bull-dink where the city gets a stacked team, and screw this PHX-FLA bull-crap where useless and unloved franchises are kept on life support so Gary Butthead can prove a point.

That said, there is a special kind of pathetic in seeing an all-time great player like Ovechkin, and teams that were stacked enough to win, failing over and over again in the playoffs. I delighted in seeing them fail when they were cocky youngsters (and especially in 2010!!) but by this point it's wince-inducing.  Like the core in San Jose, they need a deep run to redeem their basic dignity and not have a huge shadow over their entire careers.

Well, they're supporting them now that they've made the playoffs two years in a row and are winning. The year before, they had the 4th worst attendance in the league and it was no problem to buy nosebleeds and then sneak into empty seats in the lower bowl, 10 rows back on the blue line.

I'm a believer that it takes 20-30 years to truly grow a fan base in an area completely new to hockey, but the signs definitely don't look good in places like Florida and Phoenix. Kids that grew up on hockey are now getting to the age of being season ticket holders and taking their own kids to games, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Gosh, it was all the way back in 2010 when Montreal beat Washington and Pittsburgh. Can't believe it has been that long already!

• Upvote 1

Bruins with a dagger in the 3rd. It's no "4 - 1", but being held without a shot in the first 8 minutes of the 3rd and four unanswered goals to boot... man, I hope it messes with the Leafs psychologically forever.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DDSaPPY1vdC8&ved=0ahUKEwjhhsjkhdfaAhUG8WMKHaAfA_0QwqsBCCQwAQ&usg=AOvVaw0NooCHi4nGETLVZVRyRGya

This is why I wanted the leafs to lose. The bobby Orr goal that they spew out on cbc every day. The Henderson goal in 72. And mathews making the playoffs? Legendary stuff worthy of emotion and nostalgia. 

Suck on that one media! 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Auston Matthews 1g 1a in 7 games

Tomas Plekanec 2g 2a in 7 games

Playoff Clutch

Didn’t you say that players aren’t clutch, they are just good? Pretty sure Matthews is good. Maybe Matthews isn’t clutch. 

On another note, I was at a Habs game in Phoenix a few years ago (6 now) and the crowd seemed pretty into it. 

12 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Didn’t you say that players aren’t clutch, they are just good? Pretty sure Matthews is good. Maybe Matthews isn’t clutch. 

On another note, I was at a Habs game in Phoenix a few years ago (6 now) and the crowd seemed pretty into it. 

Last year, Matthews was clutch against Washington... this year he wasn't. 

So either he used to be clutch, and somehow lost that ability in one year, at the age of 20. 

Or You shouldn't take my jokes about small sample sizes too literally.

On sample sizes: Pacioretty has 19 points in 38 playoff games. Is 38 games a sufficient sample? It's half a season.

As for the Leafs, it looked to me like Jake Gardiner was completely lost and contributed directly to a number of those disastrous goals. Maybe we can trade them Weber for Matthews :lol:

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On sample sizes: Pacioretty has 19 points in 38 playoff games. Is 38 games a sufficient sample? It's half a season.

As for the Leafs, it looked to me like Jake Gardiner was completely lost and contributed directly to a number of those disastrous goals. Maybe we can trade them Weber for Matthews :lol:

I’d even do Weber for Marner.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you answered your own question there. Half a season isn’t much of a sample size.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic