2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I've been annoyed this playoff year with the putting away the whistle and letting them play. It seems worse than normal.  

Owners make and change rules at their whim. Don't follow playoffs close enough to say worse or not this year, always been bit bush-league for sure. But, that like the language requirement for Habs GM and head coach are unlikely to change anytime soon.

Go Jets!

I think this has been some of the best playoff hockey that I've ever seen. The Pittsburg/Washington series has been fun to watch and the Winnipeg/Nashville series has been incredible.

The other thing that stands out to me is the number of pure skill goals this year. I mean the laser shots in the top corner where there is almost no room! Just barely enough room for the puck!

The skill level in today's NHL is beyond what it has ever been.

I wish the Habs were in it but I'm still enjoying playoff hockey. I usually loose interest after the Habs are out but not this year.

• Upvote 1

The first round was a bust, but from what I've seen if the Nashville and Vegas series, the second round is indeed the pinnacle. If only the reffing was more consistent...we seem to be getting the refs pocketing the whistles, then suddenly reverting to a by-the-book call for no obvious reason. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The first round was a bust, but from what I've seen if the Nashville and Vegas series, the second round is indeed the pinnacle. If only the reffing was more consistent...we seem to be getting the refs pocketing the whistles, then suddenly reverting to a by-the-book call for no obvious reason. 

That's NHL refereeing under Daly and it won't change until that regime is gone. 

It's like a powerplay with five minutes remaining for the team trailing. We should just expect it at this point. 

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

That's NHL refereeing under Daly and it won't change until that regime is gone. 

It's like a powerplay with five minutes remaining for the team trailing. We should just expect it at this point. 

Always been the same hasn't it, even worse with idiots like Fraser reffing way back when wasn't it? It is the owners who make the rules and tell the officials what to call and not call, not Daly who like Bettman is just another mouthpiece.

Ref should wait to see how plays out, then the result of play will decide if a penalty or not...ya ya that's it Nick!

Quite a take on how to properly officiate a game.:wall: 

The more I watch the jets/nas play , the more and more I start to like Stastny. I will admit I thought he was done as a player, but that's just because he's playing out west, you just don't see him play as much. But man he looks good out there.

I am so happy to see karma payback to the Bruins in how they lost the game tonight; thinking on how favorably refs called the games when they won their cup

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Boston looks to be on the ropes. Tough loss for them. 

I assume all are pulling for Tampa in that series? Alright result by me anyways.

Go Vegas!

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Always good to see sh*t get shat on. 

I want Brad Marchand to try to his player licking stuff and someone to just go for it and French him. Just for the reaction from Boston fans. "Dude was just trying to lick you not kiss you! Bro not cool!"

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I want Brad Marchand to try to his player licking stuff and someone to just go for it and French him. Just for the reaction from Boston fans. "Dude was just trying to lick you not kiss you! Bro not cool!"

Absolutely the best response.

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I really don’t see how the crap he pulls isn’t a unsportsmanlike conduct or misconduct penalty.  The stuff the Bruins constantly get away with is a joke.  His rebuttal of the last kick was ridiculous - he said he got punched 4 or 5 times.

I don't know.  What's the deal with punching a guy 2 or 3 times and then jamming your face in his face? Drop the gloves and fight or f@CK off. All these close scrums are dumb.

Not that I like Marchand or am ok with licking. He should have stuck to kissing. I just think it's funny. Shows what a joke the instigator penalty is. If Marchand was afraid for his immdiate health and safety, the low bridge wouldn't happen. Yes I believe it. So do the players.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2018 at 8:51 PM, BCHabnut said:

Avery was entertaining too. You guys wanted a no fighting league. You got it.

Fighting has never ever stopped cheap shot artists or agitators. Claude Lemieux still took runs at players after the Turtle incident. Evander Kane brutalized Cooke and he still took shots. Nobody stopped Tie Domi and his cheapshots. Policing the game is a myth. 

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Fighting has never ever stopped cheap shot artists or agitators. Claude Lemieux still took runs at players after the Turtle incident. Evander Kane brutalized Cooke and he still took shots. Nobody stopped Tie Domi and his cheapshots. Policing the game is a myth. 

According to you and the media maybe. I've seen a lot of player testimony stating the opposite. Too lazy to look.  

There is zero mathematical correlation between fighting and preventing injuries... none... in fact, trend lines show that teams that fight more have a small number more injuries.

Players can say what they want, the numbers don't lie.

• Upvote 1

Fighting is gone and I don't miss it, given our knowledge about blows to the head. 

The kind of crap Marchand does can easily be deterred via unsportsmanlike penalties; we just need ref that aren't frigging morons. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

There is zero mathematical correlation between fighting and preventing injuries... none... in fact, trend lines show that teams that fight more have a small number more injuries.

Players can say what they want, the numbers don't lie.

So there are less injuries now than in the 8os and 90s? 

34 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So there are less injuries now than in the 8os and 90s? 

I haven't looked at those numbers, but not a fair comparison anyway.

Better conditioning, better nutrition, and better equipment will all lead to less injuries today. 

Not allowing players to play through concussions like they did in the 70s and 80s will lead to more time on the shelf due to injuries. Faster players lead to harder collisions and more injuries. 

So you can't look at it in a vacuum... too many outside factors. 

What you can look at is injuries in the 80s for Teams with lots of fights vs Teams with less fights... and the studies don't show a difference. 

Same with today... the studies don't show a difference for teams with lots of fights vs teams with less fights.  There are very small differences, but they say the teams with more fights are hurt more, but again its so small that it can't even be said to be a correlation. 

there is also no correlation between winning and fighting... nothing to see there. 

Think about it though... one other thing has drastically changed over the years, and that is the money.  Guys like Patrick Kaleta and other cheap shot artists.... they know that there are players who are just as talented as they are in the AHL.  They make millions to be in the NHL, but only make 70k-150k in the AHL.  They don't change their game, cause they know if they don't play "on the edge" and "finish their checks" they are going to be sent to the AHL and someone will replace them.  A punch in the face isn't a deterrent. They will take the punch in the face as long as they stay in the NHL and continue to make the big bucks. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic