2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Haha. K deal. 

I have made my piece about how goofy it is that the NHL is the only major league team sport in the world that allows fighting, don't really care what player- ex-players have to say, just a bit biased group, would you agree? 

So Nashville went to the Cup finals last year but only managed the semi-finals this year. So I guess they are getting worse each year. But every move they made was pure genius, how could it be?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, illWill said:

So Nashville went to the Cup finals last year but only managed the semi-finals this year. So I guess they are getting worse each year. But every move they made was pure genius, how could it be?

The top two teams met up in the 2nd round.  I said 3 months ago that the legitimate contenders for the cup are Nashville, Jets, lightening, pens and Bruins and all are posed to be solid contenders for the next few years.  

None of these teams are pretenders propped up by unsustainable super human goaltending and all will be solid contenders next year with elite players at every position. Unlike the habs under bergevin, that only are strong in goal, but otherwise have more holes than Swiss cheese and at best will be struggling to make the playoffs next year and if Price falters could be the worst team in the east.

49 minutes ago, illWill said:

I mean I'll give it a 4.5 for trolling.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The top two teams met up in the 2nd round.  I said 3 months ago that the legitimate contenders for the cup are Nashville, Jets, lightening, pens and Bruins and all are posed to be solid contenders for the next few years.  

None of these teams are pretenders propped up by unsustainable super human goaltending and all will be solid contenders next year with elite players at every position. Unlike the habs under bergevin, that only are strong in goal, but otherwise have more holes than Swiss cheese and at best will be struggling to make the playoffs next year and if Price falters could be the worst team in the east.

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Every post the same, just a little ray of sunshine and optimism...something to be said for consistency I suppose.:popcorn:

I admire Rinne for graciously facing the music and honestly answering all those questions on what was perhaps the worst night of his entire career. 

I've been a bit worried for a while that the flaw in Nashville's design is that their goalie peaked, career-wise, before the team around him did. Obviously he's not washed up, but the Preds need to start thinking in terms of a tandem and transition at G if you ask me.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I admire Rinne for graciously facing the music and honestly answering all those questions on what was perhaps the worst night of his entire career. 

I've been a bit worried for a while that the flaw in Nashville's design is that their goalie peaked, career-wise, before the team around him did. Obviously he's not washed up, but the Preds need to start thinking in terms of a tandem and transition at G if you ask me.

That is Saros.

The question really is if Saros is a Vasilevskiy/Rask or if he's just a transition goalie. He's played 52 NHL games so far with a save percentage of .924. Better than Vas but less games.

Rinne looked washed up last year but he was great in the playoffs until the Penguins. This playoffs he had great games and bad games, extremely erratic. It's hard to know which Rinne you get. He's nominated for the Vezina this season and might win it. I think he gets to finish his contract out with his final year next year then Nashville will make a decision.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DON said:

Every post the same, just a little ray of sunshine and optimism...something to be said for consistency I suppose.:popcorn:

Is there really anything to be optimistic about?? Had MB got fired sure.  As it is, we have the same clown as the ring master.  

Caps and Tampa are about to head into game 2.  We’ll see how it plays out but I have a feeling Washington will steal another game on the road. 

41 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They did more than just steal. Talk about statement games.

I had the bolts in the final at the beginning of the year, but I’m rooting for the caps.  Would be nice to see ovechkin finally win and shut up the Russians can’t win crowd.

44 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I had the bolts in the final at the beginning of the year, but I’m rooting for the caps.  Would be nice to see ovechkin finally win and shut up the Russians can’t win crowd.

Since the Rangers in 94 there's been Russians winning the Cup. Malkin won a Conn Smythe. Even if the Caps win with a Russian captain, there will still be laziness claims. Don Cherry was bitter when even Lidstrom led the Red Wings because he wasn't Canadian and had to point out how most Cups were won by Canadian captains.

If the Habs asked for the Blues first round pick instead of Eller in 2010, drafted Tarasenko, traded with Phoenix to move down to get Kuznetsov, then added a 2nd round pick in 2011 to draft Kucherov, this team wouldn't be in any trouble making the playoffs but if we didn't win the Cup, there would be people blaming it on those three guaranteed. 

Laine, toe drag wrister off the post, he can really shoot that puck.

Byfuglien does a Byfuglien and manhandles two opponents in scrum once again.

Vegas strong.

Screw Vegas!!

18 seconds in 3rd Jets make it 3-2...SWEET!

Schifele gets another friggin goal.:clap:

(12th in 14games...but 11 are on the road, NHL record):canada:

Dale Hawerhcuk asked by TSN-Knuckles how Svechnikov compares to his old star Schiefele; but, he said the russian kid is similar but bigger and stronger at same age.

I’m not particularly cheering for Vegas, I’m just stating a fact. 

Vegas strong :lol:

Scheifele is the real deal

6 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’m not particularly cheering for Vegas, I’m just stating a fact. 

Vegas strong :lol:

Scheifele is the real deal

They had a shooting, didn't they? That's what you referring to? They are much too often and hard to keep up to.

I remember (to me) it being a flip of coin whether Habs should draft Schifele or Mark McNeill if had the chance. No wonder I am not being paid to scout.:(

• dlbalr unpinned this topic