2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol:

SHOCKING that Washington managed to reach the Finals despite the crippling loss of Karl Alzner. That shows the true depth of that organization!

Maybe it was the loss of his attitude that got them through

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

SHOCKING that Washington managed to reach the Finals despite the crippling loss of Karl Alzner. That shows the true depth of that organization!

I am ready to face the crippling loss of Alzner here, with a Brave and Courageous stance we must stare the uncertainty of our Future without him and Persevere none the less.

SpiritedWelllitAzurevasesponge-size_rest

someone will take him so we can feel his loss right guys?........guys?..

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I am ready to face the crippling loss of Alzner here, with a Brave and Courageous stance we must stare the uncertainty of our Future without him and Persevere none the less.

I don’t like him but I hope he has a great year next year with us because he definitely has.... something.... to bring. Just nothing much beyond our very own blue line. 

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

That's what I keep hoping for 

i just wish we could package him to another club for a better and cheaper LD

Been sitting back watching the playoffs with an "I dont care" attitude. 

Eller has been quite good. Thinking we let hom go too soon considering our lack of center depth.

Finding it quite amusing that McPhee built a top team from cast offs. I feel he went with players who gove there all every shift and hate to lose. Good formula. He found nobody like that with the habs so he took a tradable Emelin. He seems to have found a formula that works. 

Hoping Washington wins it at this point just because I want some vindication in the belief that talent wins out in the end. 

On 5/25/2018 at 5:27 AM, johnnyhasbeen said:

Been sitting back watching the playoffs with an "I dont care" attitude. 

Eller has been quite good. Thinking we let hom go too soon considering our lack of center depth.

Finding it quite amusing that McPhee built a top team from cast offs. I feel he went with players who gove there all every shift and hate to lose. Good formula. He found nobody like that with the habs so he took a tradable Emelin. He seems to have found a formula that works. 

Hoping Washington wins it at this point just because I want some vindication in the belief that talent wins out in the end. 

Eller stepped up when Backstrom got injured and I get the feeling he has learned a lot from Backstrom. He’s had flashes throughout his career. Scoring 4 goals in a game, or leading the team in scoring during a playoff run. He’s still a third line center in this league though. Just one who can very well fill a void higher in the lineup when needed.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Eller stepped up when Backstrom got injured and I get the feeling he has learned a lot from Backstrom. He’s had flashes throughout his career. Scoring 4 goals in a game, or leading the team in scoring during a playoff run. He’s still a third line center in this league though. Just one who can very well fill a void higher in the lineup when needed.

That's the thing with Lars, he'd go through these little hot spells where he'd delude everyone into thinking he might be top-6 material. Like Jan Bulis in that sense. If he's had a good playoff, that doesn't mean he's a better player than the guy we traded, it just means he had good timing with one of his hot streaks. He's a solid but generic 3rd-line C, just as you say.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's the thing with Lars, he'd go through these little hot spells where he'd delude everyone into thinking he might be top-6 material. Like Jan Bulis in that sense. If he's had a good playoff, that doesn't mean he's a better player than the guy we traded, it just means he had good timing with one of his hot streaks. He's a solid but generic 3rd-line C, just as you say.

Yeah, it was Eller-Mania for about 48 hours and then he had the game with like three straight penalties and suddenly it was very quiet on the Eller front. Another good game and it's back to Eller-Mania.

I do agree he has improved a bit but that's bound to happen. He's 29 now compared to when he was in his early-mid 20s with us. He doesn't really try to get out of his proper role at 3C. He was a flop last season and a spectacular flop whenever he played with Ovechkin. This season he isn't hurting their powerplay by being out there. He still holds the puck for way too long at times but it's nowhere near as bad as it could be in Montreal. Can't recall how many plays he murdered by just cycling around the boards when nobody needed a line change. Just wasting time, almost padding his analytical stats and not much else. Hope he gets his ring.

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah, it was Eller-Mania for about 48 hours and then he had the game with like three straight penalties and suddenly it was very quiet on the Eller front. Another good game and it's back to Eller-Mania.

I do agree he has improved a bit but that's bound to happen. He's 29 now compared to when he was in his early-mid 20s with us. He doesn't really try to get out of his proper role at 3C. He was a flop last season and a spectacular flop whenever he played with Ovechkin. This season he isn't hurting their powerplay by being out there. He still holds the puck for way too long at times but it's nowhere near as bad as it could be in Montreal. Can't recall how many plays he murdered by just cycling around the boards when nobody needed a line change. Just wasting time, almost padding his analytical stats and not much else. Hope he gets his ring.

Regardless of what you may say, the real proof of the pudding is how Washington sees him. From what I have seen, he looks like a very important cog in the Washington playoff run. Best wishes to Lars, I'm rooting for you.

42 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

Regardless of what you may say, the real proof of the pudding is how Washington sees him. From what I have seen, he looks like a very important cog in the Washington playoff run. Best wishes to Lars, I'm rooting for you.

He's been very good for them this season. He put up only 25 points with them last season and was a black hole in the playoffs. I don't buy this is a new Eller. He is the same inconsistent third line centre. If he was consistent he'd be a top six centre. 

I honestly like Eller. He's a good guy to have on a club. I just also think he's an easy guy to replace and not someone you commit to. I also tire of the narratives of this unlocked potential he had that Therrien ruined. He's a good third line centre that doesn't belong in the top six unless you have an injury. Same role Danault should have now.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He's been very good for them this season. He put up only 25 points with them last season and was a black hole in the playoffs. I don't buy this is a new Eller. He is the same inconsistent third line centre. If he was consistent he'd be a top six centre. 

I honestly like Eller. He's a good guy to have on a club. I just also think he's an easy guy to replace and not someone you commit to. I also tire of the narratives of this unlocked potential he had that Therrien ruined. He's a good third line centre that doesn't belong in the top six unless you have an injury. Same role Danault should have now.

My problem with Eller was just that - the 'untapped potential' narrative that dominated fan discourse around him. There was endless excuse-making for his inability to produce; everyone was to blame except him. It used to drive me crazy. And you're also right that he has been replaced by Danault, who is probably the better overall player IMHO.

2 hours ago, BlueKross said:

They see him as a third line centre???

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My problem with Eller was just that - the 'untapped potential' narrative that dominated fan discourse around him. There was endless excuse-making for his inability to produce; everyone was to blame except him. It used to drive me crazy. And you're also right that he has been replaced by Danault, who is probably the better overall player IMHO.

It all came down to them feeling he was a better option for top six C than Desharnais. And whether he was or not shouldn't be the question asked. The question asked should be, why were either of them considered top six centres? DD had the offence but he was a temporary solution to an old problem (Gomez). Eller had the defence and occasional offence which is more of a 3C role. Galchenyuk should have been inheriting the top six C role and surrounded by players to clean up any young mistakes, and we should have still had it in mind to replace Plekanec with a better centre instead of signing him for $6M per season.

By 15-16 we should have had Galchenyuk - New Top 6 C - Eller, not Plekanec - Galchenyuk kind of - Desharnais.

Big goal for Connelly to tie it up.

Quickly Fleury gives up another to Backstrom.

4th goal of period and Karlsson ties it up 2-2.

You  know watching other teams play in these playoffs I cant help to noticed how soft we play when we are in front of the other teams net. We get boxed out so easy its unreal. So much easy goals to be had if we played a tougher game around the net.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

BOOOOO to last night's result :angry:

I want to see Ovie win the cup, and would like to see a prince george kid win it, but last night I found myself cheering for vegas. I love gallant's system. First on puck all the time. They are a fun team to watch. I enjoyed the game I went to in Vegas too. Didn't care that habs lost. I was too into the atmosphere. 

28 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I want to see Ovie win the cup, and would like to see a prince george kid win it, but last night I found myself cheering for vegas. I love gallant's system. First on puck all the time. They are a fun team to watch. I enjoyed the game I went to in Vegas too. Didn't care that habs lost. I was too into the atmosphere. 

I really hate the fact that Gallant was considered and we went with the MT clone.  I think galchenyuk would thrive under that kind of system.  It’s th way hockey should be played - I hate the lets play not to lose approach that the habs seemed to have employed for what seems to be forever.

alao rooting for Ovie as well.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic