2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

28 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I want to see Ovie win the cup, and would like to see a prince george kid win it, but last night I found myself cheering for vegas. I love gallant's system. First on puck all the time. They are a fun team to watch. I enjoyed the game I went to in Vegas too. Didn't care that habs lost. I was too into the atmosphere. 

Don't care if Ovi ever gets a cup, but think he will this year.

Also pulling for Gallant and his crew of castaways.

Was an entertaining summer hockey game.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really hate the fact that Gallant was considered and we went with the MT clone.  I think galchenyuk would thrive under that kind of system.  It’s th way hockey should be played - I hate the lets play not to lose approach that the habs seemed to have employed for what seems to be forever.

alao rooting for Ovie as well.

Gallant was considered for what? Not head coach, unless hell has frozen over and he turned French all of a sudden.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Gallant was considered for what? Not head coach, unless hell has frozen over and he turned French all of a sudden.

After Julien was hired, it was reported that Gallant was also considered and that MB had gotten permission to speak with Gallant as well.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

After Julien was hired, it was reported that Gallant was also considered and that MB had gotten permission to speak with Gallant as well.

I would call BS on that.

As soon as Julien was fired, Habs fired Therrien and hired him.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This is correct. 

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/lebrun-gallant-was-on-montreal-s-shortlist-1.1089403

58 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No, I think Don probably is more connected than Lebrun - even though he also isn’t in the room.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Did you actually listen to Lebrun? Or just the read title of link?

He basically said same a I did...without learning French is a non starter and he was simply speculating on a golfing buddy of his.

But, if you want to believe an Anglophone will actually be offered that job, you are, safe to say, out to lunch. 

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Did you actually listen to Lebrun? Or just the read title of link?

He basically said same a I did...without learning French is a non starter and he was simply speculating on a golfing buddy of his.

But, if you want to believe an Anglophone will actually be offered that job, you are, safe to say, out to lunch. 

Julien was the guy, no question. 

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Julien was the guy, no question. 

Unless Vigneault had been available. Gallant may of been the best option, but Molson has itty bitty balls, so will never allow hiring of an English head-coach, which would cause another Cunnyworth-like shitstorm.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Larry strikes again and ties it up 1-1.

Mr. Eller assist on Caps 3rd goal.

Update: Eller with 3 points in a 3-1 game in the playoffs. Some might say that is clutch, some might say that is just a regular 3rd line center. 

Regular season points per game: 0.36

Playoffs points per game:              0.51

No idea if that includes Mr. Eller's stellar 3 points so far in this pivotal Stanley Cup game 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, illWill said:

Update: Eller with 3 points in a 3-1 game in the playoffs. Some might say that is clutch, some might say that is just a regular 3rd line center. 

No idea if that includes Mr. Eller's stellar 3 points so far in this pivotal Stanley Cup game 

Thats what happens when you play on the top lines and with good players and in a good system. 

So much for moving Eller, to pickup a guy that helps you get through the playoffs - assuming that slug Shaw ever makes the playoffs again.

10 hours ago, illWill said:

It didn't. 

0.55 points per game in the playoffs. Pretty much 50% better than in regular season. I always liked Lars

"Some people have ways of digging down deeper. I think some people have ways of staying calm when the moment gets bigger," said teammate T.J. Oshie.

If there is such a thing as clutch, why isn't he clutch every year?

0 goals 5 assists in 13 games last year
1 goal 2 assists in 12 games in 2015
2 assists in 7 games in 2011

So two out of five years in the playoffs, he got hot,  The other 3 he didn't,

He's the same streaky guy he's always been, but has gotten streaky 2 out of 5 playoff runs..... the stats are just a reflection of small sample size.

If there was some ability called "clutch" that he could control his streakiness and always use it at the most opportune times... why the three bad runs?

We are comparing his own point totals between regular season and playoffs. If he was able to "turn it on" all of the time in the playoffs, he'd be a superstar, which he is not. And 71 playoff games is a pretty good sample size over a decade of playing. 

But what is the definition of clutch?  Is it not being able to up your performance in big moments?  Why is someone clutch one year but not the next?

Its cause clutch is not an abilty 

Its not a hard shot or fast skating or good vision and passing skills. Those things exist over time.  Yes they get better into peak years and wane as you get older but the curve is a bell curve.

Lars eller's "Clutch" is something that apparently exists one year but not the next.  Goes away for 4 years and then comes back.  Its not a bell curve but more of a sine wave.  That tells you its just randomness... not an actual skill the player has control of.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why is someone clutch one year but not the next?

Because he is not a robot, has serious issues (that trump hockey) at home one year, is playing through injuries in another or maybe the 22 other players on team undermine his effectiveness and no one player can overcome that, could be any one of 1000 reasons.

On 60% of his runs he's worse than the regular season, and on 40% he's better. 

And your explanation is clutch, and not that he's always been a streaky scorer?

If we looked at his splits, 

He's at .38 PPG in his career in January (83 games)

and .29 PPG in his career in December (91 games)

this is a bigger sample size than your playoff games.

Are we now going to use this to say he is better at the start of a calendar year, then at the end of it.  Is there something clutch about January too?  Or is it just random noise on a the record of a streaky player?  Why are the playoffs different?

Credit to Lars for stepping up in the role he was made for: third line centre with occasional offensive output.

I don't mean that sarcastically. He's playing well and that's good for Washington. He's playing his role. Washington isn't feeling so burned for giving two second round picks for him like they did last year.

My problem with Eller has been less him and more folks acting like there's a superstar inside him that is being held back or that his streaky offence is the real Lars and the right coach will make him a top six centre. Eller can be a bonehead and take bad penalties or run around the ice with the puck and do nothing but you expect that from third line guys.

He's showing up this year and that's what counts. He probably won't next year. Welcome to middle mix production. Propping up his 2018 by comparing it to 2014 is silly but hey, we all need heroes I guess. Having a hero that shows up less than an unemployed step dad wouldn't be my choice but make him your warrior. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

But what is the definition of clutch?  Is it not being able to up your performance in big moments?  Why is someone clutch one year but not the next? 

It is because being clutch is an individual trait, whereas hockey is a team sport.

It is because the importance of moments differ from year to year.

It is because some people out there (coaches) may only look at the numbers and overlook the fact that someone has an innate ability to up their game when the going gets tough. One can be clutch and stapled to the bench as a result of another person’s idiotic decision.

It is why other players like Cammalleri haven’t shown bright since their last playoff appearance. It is why Joel Ward is treated like some x-factor by coaches who think on many different levels. 

It’s hypocrisy to state that sample sizes are too small in most playoff years and then utilize individual years to demonstrate that clutch isn’t a consistent thing and therefore does not exist. Especially when the overall, larger sample size demonstrates that someone improves their game even statistically during the playoffs. 

Then again, T.J. Oshie could be wrong. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic