2018 NHL Playoff Thread

dlbalr

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Isles fire Snow and Weight. I bet Lou brings in Hunter as g.m 

About friggin time!!!!!! Too bad MB won’t be next and we don’t have Lou!!

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

About friggin time!!!!!! Too bad MB won’t be next and we don’t have Lou!!

They got to do what they got to do to keep Tavares.

Snow is not surprising at all. 

But Weight being fired? After all the talk of Lou and Tavares meeting?  This is being done to re-sign Tavares.  They are going to go with a coach that he wants, and he's going to re-sign. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Snow is not surprising at all. 

But Weight being fired? After all the talk of Lou and Tavares meeting?  This is being done to re-sign Tavares.  They are going to go with a coach that he wants, and he's going to re-sign. 

Toronto media is convinced Tavares will be unhappy about Weight being fired because he's been a mentor to Johnny T but I don't buy it.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Toronto media is convinced Tavares will be unhappy about Weight being fired because he's been a mentor to Johnny T but I don't buy it.

There is zero chance that they fired Weight without asking Tavares what he thought of Weight.  NONE. 

I don't think it 100% means he'll re-sign, but it brings him closer. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is zero chance that they fired Weight without asking Tavares what he thought of Weight.  NONE. 

I don't think it 100% means he'll re-sign, but it brings him closer. 

Also Toronto media is dumb and doesn't realize that Weight could be moved to another role within the Islanders organization. Weight and Snow are both still employed by the Islanders.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Also Toronto media is dumb and doesn't realize that Weight could be moved to another role within the Islanders organization. Weight and Snow are both still employed by the Islanders.

Meh, they will be "pro scouts" who also have permission to find any team that will hire them. 

Weight has 4 years left on his contract, Snow 5.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Meh, they will be "pro scouts" who also have permission to find any team that will hire them. 

He has value as an assistant coach. Good offence guy. Absolutely horrendous defensive guy. Oh well, Isles got Scott Gomez, they got their retired centres covered.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Isles likely also still paying Yashin & Rick Dipietro.

37 minutes ago, DON said:

Isles likely also still paying Yashin & Rick Dipietro.

Yashin just came off the books recently (I'm thinking either this year or last year).  DiPietro is still getting $1.5 million per year through 2028-29.  Yikes.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yashin just came off the books recently (I'm thinking either this year or last year).  DiPietro is still getting $1.5 million per year through 2028-29.  Yikes.

Seriously? I was just joking, that is crazy, that buyout still going.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Seriously? I was just joking, that is crazy, that buyout still going.

Horrible trade to get him.  Horrible contract.  Milbury, snow, Yashin, depietro all made out like bandits.    I wish I worked for Charles wang. Working a few years  for a clueless owner and your basically set for life.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He has value as an assistant coach. Good offence guy. Absolutely horrendous defensive guy. Oh well, Isles got Scott Gomez, they got their retired centres covered.

Weight has value. Snow is a jackass, who should never had gotten the job to begin with.kind of like MB, but at least MB did some time in Chicago before being French paid off.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Horrible trade to get him.  Horrible contract.  Milbury, snow, Yashin, depietro all made out like bandits.    I wish I worked for Charles wang. Working a few years  for a clueless owner and your basically set for life.

Was simply odd how oft-injured Dipietro even got concussed in a goalie fight, he took one in the chops that dropped him.

It's been a while but I believe the Islanders could have just put him on LTIR but instead they bought him out, which pretty much made him the Bobby Bonilla of the NHL. I might be wrong on if they could have just left him on LTIR. Definitely the Bobby Bonilla though.

11 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's been a while but I believe the Islanders could have just put him on LTIR but instead they bought him out, which pretty much made him the Bobby Bonilla of the NHL. I might be wrong on if they could have just left him on LTIR. Definitely the Bobby Bonilla though.

They used the compliance buyout on him, so he doesn't count on their cap. 

By doing this, they only pay him 2/3rds of the contract value... and they get to spread the money out over double the number of years.  So it was a money saving move (and it makes their cap accounting easier as well).

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They used the compliance buyout on him, so he doesn't count on their cap. 

By doing this, they only pay him 2/3rds of the contract value... and they get to spread the money out over double the number of years.  So it was a money saving move (and it makes their cap accounting easier as well).

Gotcha, thanks.

Still the Bobby Bonilla of the NHL.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic