Markov is a Champion. Is Subban next?

HabsWEST

https://awinninghabit.com/2018/04/23/montreal-canadiens-news-congratulations-khl-andrei-markov-2018-gagarin-cup/

Andrei Markov with Ak Bars Kazan wins the championship. All reports shows he logged lot of minutes and key to the underdogs winning.

attitude hey? MB was dead wrong here, you do not let Markov and his loyalty and wanting to remain in Montreal go. The exact attitude that is required to continue the Legacy of what is left of this team.

Now how ironic if both these defencemen go on to win their respective championship titles ( PK Subban )

Bergevin,..now where is the attitude adjustment ? Is it the team or IS IT YOU MB? Well down Marc and bringing a once storied and class Team , now to its current state.

With you at the helm, this team will sink further to an abyss that will take a decades to correct!

Will we see this team win again for decades? Hmmm

Go on and keep wearing your fancy suits and be proud MB what you have done,  or NOT done!!

• Upvote 4

You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves with Nashville. They’re a good team but I think it’s going to be tough for them to win it all.

I’m genuinely happy to see Markov celebrate a win with his team and although I don’t follow the league closely, I definitely would have thought CSKA Moscow would win. Good for him. 

And of course left out of all of this is how Sergachev could also be hoisting a cup at season’s end. That’s all premature though.

20 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Read somewhere that there is suspicouns of the KHL playoffs this year being set up...

dont know how true it is but it is Russia after all...

The theory was that it was fixed for SKA St. Petersburg to win... then they went out in the conf finals.

Then the theory was that it was for CSKA to win... then they lost in 5 games to AK Bars in the finals.

The theory was debunked pretty quickly.  (That said CSKA and SKA have clear advantages in that league financially, acquiring players, etc... but that doesnèt mean the actual games are fixed).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think honk the fact the Nashville got to the finals the first year after making the Subban trade debunks his character/leadership/attitude narratives.

nashville traded their grizzled leader, captain and character player and did better than they ever did before, while we had the leadership issue become a coaching issue (fired the coach) and now attitude issue as we continue as to plummet in the standings.

• Upvote 1

The only attitude adjustment I am concerned with now is Geoff Molson’s. He needs to realize a. What a dreadful mistake he made , and continues to make, with Bergevin and

b. Realize that he needs a hockey lifer between him and the GM.

Unfortunately, I don’t see either of these things happening without another lost season?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read the other day that its the 4 million or so per year on his renewed contract ... plus a likely coach change and cost following a new GM that is stopping Molson from getting rid of Bergevin. I am pretty convinced he is the attitude problem with the team. We went from being a dynamic , lively team to being an irresolute collection. Make the move Mr Molson. Count the beans later. And get good help.

50 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

This team is built to win the 99' cup. 

No, it’s built to try and MAKE the 99’ playoffs.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No, it’s built to try and MAKE the 99’ playoffs.

For sure. A team with no 1C,  2C, 2D, 4D barely has a chance at making the playoffs. Price being the equalizer.

26 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

For sure. A team with no 1C,  2C, 2D, 4D barely has a chance at making the playoffs. Price being the equalizer.

The good news for Bergevin is that expectations are now so low. If the team makes the dance, and especially if it manages to win a round, it will be hailed as a brilliant turnaround. Everyone will forget that he inherited a team on the cusp on contending and reduced it to this condition.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The good news for Bergevin is that expectations are now so low. If the team makes the dance, and especially if it manages to win a round, it will be hailed as a brilliant turnaround. Everyone will forget that he inherited a team on the cusp on contending and reduced it to this condition.

The problem is as long as Bergevin is blinded by the fact that he thinks all he needs for this team to win is Price to play at a all world leave, then this team will never win anything.  Theres a reason why the wheels fall apart when theres injures, and its because theres no depth on the main team or in the farm system. Until that gets address then we are just wasting Price good years if we haven't already.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess everyone forgot that he inherited a team that finished almost last in the league, hardly "on the cusp". But then went on to win a couple divisions and a few rounds of playoffs. This year was a disaster though

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t think the focus should be entirely on Bergevin even if there is a turn around. I’ll be happy if we make some noise next year in the playoffs but I can guarantee that even if we do, I’ll be praising the players as well as Julien more than obsessing about Bergevin. That’s even if he signs Stastny and Tavares, drafts Zadina and acquires a top pair LD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, illWill said:

I guess everyone forgot that he inherited a team that finished almost last in the league, hardly "on the cusp". But then went on to win a couple divisions and a few rounds of playoffs. This year was a disaster though

Oh, please. Like he built the 2014 and 2015 teams from scratch. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He traded for Bourque, Briere, vanek and Weaver who perfomed well, and the next year he got Petry Gilber, Mitchel, Flynn, Prust, Weise, Smith-Pelly who all performed Ok

Gainey's core was performing, Gauthier destroyed the prospect pool

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, please. Perhaps you can explain how the team he inherited was on the cusp of contending, but then in the following years suddenly weren't. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, illWill said:

Oh, please. Perhaps you can explain how the team he inherited was on the cusp of contending, but then in the following years suddenly weren't. :rolleyes:

It's a long story, but one of the things that happened was that he had no replacement for Pleks, who got old, nor for Markov, whose departure was foolishly forced but would have happened eventually. Broadly speaking, Gainey's core was good but needed extra elements. MB failed to provide those - notwithstanding the Radulov gambit, which worked for one year - and entropy took over. It's also true that the team has basically sucked since it traded Subban, apart from Weber's aberrant six-week explosion when he first artived. The fact is that the longer Bergevin has been in charge, the worse the team has gotten. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He traded for Bourque, Briere, vanek and Weaver who perfomed well, and the next year he got Petry Gilber, Mitchel, Flynn, Prust, Weise, Smith-Pelly who all performed Ok

Gainey's core was performing, Gauthier destroyed the prospect pool

Other than Petry, and the short-lived Vanek phase, that is a list of tangential players, bottom-end guys, or place-holders (Gilbert). He also added Galy, a no-brainer pick which he was gifted. But ultimatey this list just reinforces the idea that the core was indeed assembled by his predecessors.

Heck, I remember people on this site complaining in 2015 that Bergevin had failed to 'put his stamp' on the team. The more he did so, the worse it got.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a long story, but one of the things that happened was that he had no replacement for Pleks, who got old, nor for Markov, whose departure was foolishly forced but would have happened eventually. Broadly speaking, Gainey's core was good but needed extra elements. MB failed to provide those - notwithstanding the Radulov gambit, which worked for one year - and entropy took over. It's also true that the team has basically sucked since it traded Subban, apart from Weber's aberrant six-week explosion when he first artived. The fact is that the longer Bergevin has been in charge, the worse the team has gotten. 

I'm not sure why I even bother. 

We are just going to ignore Montreal WINNING it's division last year? How is that getting worse? Weber's "six week explosion"? The guy finished 6th in Norris trophy voting for the ENTIRE season. 

If you're going to whine and post sarcastic emojis, at least be factual when doing so. I'll be the first one to admit that this season has been an absolute gong show with no plan whatsoever, but we can't just say the team has gotten worse every year since he got here. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

To add, there were holes that Carey Price could cover in regular season he couldn't in the playoffs. You also need to get better every year regardless of last year's results. The Predators went to the final, improved at centre considerably and in team depth that was already strong and they still might not make the conference final. Pittsburgh added Brassard and got knocked out in the second. You have to get better every year and Bergevin focused on lateral moves or small moves that didn't push the needle. His best addition was a guy who was Plan C in Radulov (A was Lucic, B was Perron) who he only signed for one year and couldn't keep. 

So the team got older, some players got better, others worse, and the GM never tried to make the team over the top. So even if the team didn't change much, everyone around them did, and that's why the Canadiens got progressively worse. My impression was if everything went right, they could still win their division but were nowhere near ready to Cup contend. Next season I feel they could make the playoffs but they are winning nothing. If that's good enough for you we have different expectations of the same team. I want multiple Cups and if this team has to be the laughingstock of the league for years to build up the prospects to get there? So be it.

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I'm not sure why I even bother. 

We are just going to ignore Montreal WINNING it's division last year? How is that getting worse? Weber's "six week explosion"? The guy finished 6th in Norris trophy voting for the ENTIRE season. 

If you're going to whine and post sarcastic emojis, at least be factual when doing so. I'll be the first one to admit that this season has been an absolute gong show with no plan whatsoever, but we can't just say the team has gotten worse every year since he got here. 

The team has been a gong show since 2016. That's three years running. And yes, once Weber settled down after his spectacular initial six weeks, the team was basically a .500 club.

• Upvote 1