(Legal) NHL streaming or apps

lazy26

I recently cut my tv cable (saving $80/month for something I barely used) and the only downside is that I can't watch live sports.  I tried the Kodi thing, and that was an abysmal failure, so I was wondering if you guys have tried the Rogers NHL live or any of the other apps with any success.

I find the Rogers thing really clunky to use (you get into problems if you try to stream on different devices, sometimes I get frozen on the 'ad' screen, etc.) and also very limited - e.g., no PVR capacity or equivalent. Even the resolution suffers when I feed it onto my TV. Basically it's crap.

Yeah we did the same and got a android box. But the problem with streaming from the Internet is it does freeze often. Plus you need to have unlimited Internet when streaming so you don't go over your data. The government really needs to go after Roger's and bell as a cable company or simply give us more options when it comes to cable company's other then just Roger's and bell.

My friend often uses the CBC app. It's mostly reliable.

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Yeah we did the same and got a android box. But the problem with streaming from the Internet is it does freeze often. Plus you need to have unlimited Internet when streaming so you don't go over your data. The government really needs to go after Roger's and bell as a cable company or simply give us more options when it comes to cable company's other then just Roger's and bell.

As someone who used to work for Teksavvy, let me assure you they've gone after them many times but the system is designed in their favour. They won't ever go as hard as they should against them because we're protective of our major Canadian corporations. The only alternative is the third party ISPs who use the lines from Bell, Rogers, Telus, Cogeco, etc. and have to use their technicians and go by their rules making minimal money on each connection but they can at least provide their own packages. 

Depending on your area I suggest going with a third party but looking into things like Teksavvy's 250GB with free on off-peak. Unless you have a family of five constantly streaming in HD you're not going over 250GB in a month and you can leave your downloads to night time so you don't get charged at all. 

(I have had no cable or satellite since 2005, aside from six months in 2010, and I've had no problem watching hockey nor have I been hit with overage charges.)

The Game Centre App can lag at times, but I haven't had many issues of it not working at all. 

You can be 2-5 minutes behind the play though, so don't be on twitter, and hope you aren't in an apartment with neighbours watching the same game and celebrating goals. 

I don't think this is the same as the Rogers App Chicoutimi is talking about, cause mine has all the features needed... you can watch an old game from this season on demand, and fast forward/rewind it. 

I have bought Rogers game centre for the last 3 years.  It is about 30 Seconds behind,  but works very well on phone, computer,  and Playstation. Worth the money I think.  I watch a lot of hockey though usually. 

Thanks guys!  I was thinking about the Gamecentre app, but I didn't know if blackouts came in to effect with it.

2 hours ago, lazy26 said:

Thanks guys!  I was thinking about the Gamecentre app, but I didn't know if blackouts came in to effect with it.

There are blackouts. Depending on where you live, it can hurt too. I can't watch regional games during the regular season. I didn't get blacked out this year so maybe it changed.  But maybe I just didn't try any local games. I'm a Canadiens fan living in bc so it's no issue usually. 

2 hours ago, lazy26 said:

Yeah local games are blacked out.  I can't watch leafs games via the app.

Was that (legal) added after I posted?

or did I just miss it. 

That being said. I have an Apple TV box and if you subscribe to the Rogers service streaming through Apple TV works great. 

4 hours ago, Davehab said:

Was that (legal) added after I posted?

or did I just miss it. 

That being said. I have an Apple TV box and if you subscribe to the Rogers service streaming through Apple TV works great. 

Hahaha, ya it was always there!

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yeah local games are blacked out.  I can't watch leafs games via the app.

So hopefully Habs games would be ok in Ontario?  Or would it depend who they were playing?

1 hour ago, lazy26 said:

So hopefully Habs games would be ok in Ontario?  Or would it depend who they were playing?

The local habs coverage you would get for.sure.  (ie mon, tues, thurs, fri games)

Those that are part of national broadcasts (sat, sun, wed) i think you get but not positive.  Ive never tried.  I just watch those on the channel.they are on.

You should ask rogers.

I used to get the NHL.tv here in the US and stream games via Roku. Quality was almost always great, but the blackouts are a pain in the butt. All nationally aired games are blacked out, in addition to local games. So unless you live outside the US or Canada, kiss the playoffs goodbye.