Habs sign Alexandre Alain

Trizzak

2 hours ago, illWill said:

I suppose Bergevin didn't want to wait for my scouting report, as he has signed center Alex Alain from the QMJHL. 

Cool downvote bro

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just a few light hearted jabs at the franchises lack of depth at Centre, not sure why all the downvotes above personally.

But anyway, it’s a decent depth signing, and no doubt one we needed. Hopefully he continues to grow as he did this year, and into the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

I don't have an issue with signing this kid, but the odds are really against him making it to the NHL.  He's going to need to take the slow development path with time likely spent in the ECHL. The same applies to Habs free agent signee Hayden Verbeek.  Mitch Brown from The Athletic wrote an excellent article on this topic back in late March and focused on Hayden Verbeek.

The Leafs are reportedly on the verge of signing 26 year old Swedish center Par Lindholm, which is disappointing news to me as a Habs fan.  I am using this comparison since Lindholm is also an undrafted prospect at center, but with his age and experience of playing against men in the SHL [Sweden's highest pro league] for the past 4 seasons, then he's a less riskier prospect to become an NHL pro player than Alain.  The Leafs have been drafting and signing more Swedish players under Shanahan/Lamoriello so that may have been a more attractive feature for Lindholm choosing the Leafs, assuming other NHL teams were also interested in him and talking to his agent. 

https://www.tsn.ca/report-leafs-to-sign-swedish-c-lindholm-1.1071962

The same was said last year about centre Miro Altonen who the leafs signed and he became a very average ahl player and had 0 NHL games this year.  Froese turned out to be a better player (and that isnt saying much).

Meanwhile on defence the leafs grabbed rosen and borgman last year.  The habs grabbed jerabek.  And all three were about the same level of quality.

In other words i wouldnt worry about what the leafs have signed and with a ton of contract spots left.. i dont.think the habs are done either.