2018 NHL Draft Lottery

zumpano21

32 minutes ago, mineral said:

Well, looks their prospect pool is starting to help them turn the corner. Boeser is a beast, and i think they also have a few other special players that could join in the next 1-2 years.

On another note, i could see MB totally going for Tkachuk. Big body, power forward. Wonder though if his pedigree is upselling him at this stage. Watch Ottawa go with Zadina and burn us for the next 12 years.

From what I'm reading, Tkachuk is the nightmare and all too plausibly an MB choice. Fingers crossed. He *did* say "speed and youth" are the new model after all :rolleyes:

As for the Canucks, despite the Vrtanen debacle they have been pretty good at drafting and recruiting young players. Boeser is, as you say, the real deal - in his rookie season, already better than any FW on the Habs - and while Elias Pedersen may require some adjusting to the NHL game, he too looks like a prodigious talent. Gaudette also looks very promising, while Bo Horvat is a real core piece. Their problem seems to be on the back end, but on the whole, my impression is that the Canucks are on the right trajectory, with some genuinely elite talent in the organization.

• Upvote 1

I think a combination of Zadina and Drouin could be a really inticing line moving forward.

Unless Carolina wants Zadina because of their Czech connection with one of their other prospects which will be on display this Friday. I would happily draft the Russian. Still not a terrible turn of events, Montreal is still getting a blue chip prospect this summer.

Carolina has a new owner, so its hard to judge this.  There are certain teams in the NHL (cough, ottawa, cough) who won't touch Russians, no matter what. 

We can hope that Carolina becomes one of those teams.  They have no russians now, but the new regime is such an unknown.

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Would it be worth trading our pick for the two NYI picks?

I wouldn't. I'm all about keeping the top 3 pick.

When we look at elite NHL players, the chances of getting one with a top 5 pick is high.The chances of getting one past that, drop precipitously. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Carolina has a new owner, so its hard to judge this.  There are certain teams in the NHL (cough, ottawa, cough) who won't touch Russians, no matter what. 

We can hope that Carolina becomes one of those teams.  They have no russians now, but the new regime is such an unknown.

What do you think of trying to move up to 2 then?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

You don't trade a top 3 pick for immediate help.  

Exactly.  Keep the pick.  Trading it is stupid.  Would rather MB make moves with current roster to acquire a LD or C.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Galchenyuk will never play center under the current leadership. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You have to put Drouin in the middle. Galchenyuk is not permitted to play C.

Yeah too bad :(

This would be a fast, creative line with crazy skill.

I do think that Zadina might be able to put up some numbers as a pro, but based on the small sample that I seen of him, he isn't much of a defensive player. He sort of just floats around and we all know how Habs management loves those type of players. 

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

I do think that Zadina might be able to put up some numbers as a pro, but based on the small sample that I seen of him, he isn't much of a defensive player. He sort of just floats around and we all know how Habs management loves those type of players. 

Really?

From what I have heard he takes pride in his defensive coverage. I’m sure he still has a lot to learn and is more of a offensive player but is not clueless in the defensive zone.

While I have no doubt you saw what you saw but could that be just a situation of a small sample size?

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

If that's the case our 4th line will be Zedina - DLR - Galchenyuk for 6 minutes per game.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

What do you think of trying to move up to 2 then?

Who and what would Habs have to give Sabres...to even make them consider it?

But you know the Sabres are not giving up Dahlin, not matter the offer.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Really?

From what I have heard he takes pride in his defensive coverage. I’m sure he still has a lot to learn and is more of a offensive player but is not clueless in the defensive zone.

While I have no doubt you saw what you saw but could that be just a situation of a small sample size?

I'll admit that I haven't seen him play much other than 2 games a couple weeks ago, but I found it to be an underwhelming performance for a top 3 NHL pick. Especially since his 4th place team was facing elimination against the 9th place team. He only seemed to turn it up when he had the puck and was sort of a rover out there positionally. I paid very close attention to him as I knew there would be a chance the Habs could draft him. The lone goal he got was a puck that popped out to him in the slot and he had an open net, other than that he didn't do much. Believe me I want him to be a star and I hope he proves me wrong 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

In this draft, I'd offer 3 + our highest 2nd rounder and see if Carolina wants to do it. 

I was thinking almost the exact same. Said earlier Chicago's pick but I'd do our first second as well. I actually like Svechnikov enough I'd do our second and third. We'd still have 3 good second rounders.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Who and what would Habs have to give Sabres...to even make them consider it?

But you know the Sabres are not giving up Dahlin, not matter the offer.

Yea like Koivu said I mean moving up into the 2nd overall pick, not moving up 2 positions for Dahlin. That's next to impossible. It would be absolutely silly for Buff to do it unless we offered them the team. Number 2 though is entirely conceivable

I’ll be surprised if we pick anywhere but where we landed and I expect the Habs to pick Zadina. Not very original, but it’s the way I see things playing out.