Would a "Canadiens Academy" make sense?

I heard yesterday on french radio that the Armada is rumored to be up for sale and that Joel Bouchard has alsmost been hired by the CH.

It got me thinking that there may be an opportunity to create an soccer-like farming system with Boisbriand-Laval being the farm clubs and also serving in the greater Montreal region as an academy system: expanding in some of the coaching clinics and other activities they already do. It would be a great way to mak esure all the best Quebec talent grows up through their system

What do you think?

Yes, for hockey but also for junior players that may or may not sign with the CH later 

Maybe moving the team to the ECHL to replace Brampton ?

The occasional goalie goes through the ECHL. 

Skaters, we are talking 2-3 a year in the entire league who become NHL regulars played in the ECHL. 

The ECHL is the last chance saloon for skaters. It could be done, but i don't think its a big deal. 

14 minutes ago, huzer said:

My son went to the Canadiens Hockey School last year, does that count? 

I was asking the question of a more structured program like the hockey schools would make sense

so yes, it counts

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The occasional goalie goes through the ECHL. 

Skaters, we are talking 2-3 a year in the entire league who become NHL regulars played in the ECHL. 

The ECHL is the last chance saloon for skaters. It could be done, but i don't think its a big deal. 

Not a big deal, good.

Then I am hoping they hire J. Bouchard to head a new ECHL team and to be groomed from there to later become the AHL GM

I don't think Joel Bouchard is taking an ECHL job, he is far above that already; and he owns part of the Armada. 

Its going to be a good position he gets, if he takes a position in Montreal. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was asking the question of a more structured program like the hockey schools would make sense

so yes, it counts

Its more a PR thing, and a community building thing though, than anything that helps the NHL team on the ice. 

Its creating fans for the future, not so much working at creating NHL players. 

Agreed on the Canadiens Hockey School, my response was tongue in cheek. 

It's a great opportunity for youngsters to be with members of the organization and have fun. For us, the camp was cheaper than equivalent hockey camps in Colorado (not even equivalent, just hockey camps with his regular youth organization), especially since I already had planned on going back to northern NY to stay at my property there for a couple of weeks.

I don't think there's much value in an organizational type "academy" for players/coaching. All sorts of can-o-worms type scenarios with players of junior age associating with NHL teams on an official basis, it seems. Not only that, but with coaching changes come system changes, so there's no real continutity gained.

I have been saying for years on the forums and on the podcast that a professional coaching development centre of excellence and putting good, young francophone coaches on retainer for right of first refusal is imperative for the Canadiens to develop their own network of coaches. At a minimum the coach in the echl and the Ahl should be being groomed for the Nhl. The hiring of Ducharme is a long overdue step in the right direction 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Just a heads up on this, we have a two-part series coming later this month on the site about an idea like this, a coaching-type academy, partnership agreements, etc. 

Cool!