Canadiens Re-Sign Antti Niemi

Commandant

I mean it's not life or death here, but Bergevin wouldn't pay a first line winger an extra million dollars a year to stay in Montreal, but he has no issue spendng 1 or 2 million on guys like Neimi, Schlemko, and Hemsky....Combine their contracts and you basically have the extra flow to pay Radulov what he wanted. :1gohabs:

I don't mind. No waivers needed for Lindgren, and having two netminders in Niemi and Lindgren in the event of a Price injury isn't bad. Seems like a decent rate for a backup as well. It's a one year deal, and he can be shipped out like Montoya if the situation presents itself.

I don't think we can rag on Bergevin for having left the team without NHL-quality goaltending in 2016, and then complain that he signs a veteran backup who appears to have recovered some of his mojo and played well for us last year. A sensible signing.

38 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I mean it's not life or death here, but Bergevin wouldn't pay a first line winger an extra million dollars a year to stay in Montreal, but he has no issue spendng 1 or 2 million on guys like Neimi, Schlemko, and Hemsky....Combine their contracts and you basically have the extra flow to pay Radulov what he wanted. :1gohabs:

You need to fill the roster.   The back up goalie is going to get close to a million bucks, no matter who it is. 

Same with guys on the fourth line. 

You can't just get rid of them and not ice players there. 

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You need to fill the roster.   The back up goalie is going to get close to a million bucks, no matter who it is. 

You fill those roles from within 

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Remember, your talking about Bergevin, so seems mandatory to put a negative spin on anything he has touched or failed to act on.

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I'm just saying, if pennies are going to be pinched....

I get what you're saying. This organization also tried to cover for Lefebvre's failures by constantly trading and signing and picking up grinders and bottom sixers because we weren't creating any successful young players. They have no issue going through countless players at low amounts but when it comes to trying to re-sign Markov and Radulov, it's a final offer, no more negotiation, we gotta watch our cap.

22 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I get what you're saying. This organization also tried to cover for Lefebvre's failures by constantly trading and signing and picking up grinders and bottom sixers because we weren't creating any successful young players. They have no issue going through countless players at low amounts but when it comes to trying to re-sign Markov and Radulov, it's a final offer, no more negotiation, we gotta watch our cap.

Exactly. Pay your thoroughbreds. The rest will fall into place. 

I don't hate this signing, but, I mean is Neimi really going to have a $950,000 better season than Lindgren? Unlikely. It's multiple small moves like this, that do add up. 

35 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Maybe you are correct and Habs should re-up and offer Pacioretty an extension ASAP.

A 40 year old Markov, not sure would call him a thoroughbred, or one ready for glue-factory?

• Upvote 2

He's a good insurance policy for the Habs if Price gets injured as many have already said in previous comments.  I also agree that he could be trade bait at the deadline if the Habs falter again or if Lindgren pushes him out.  I'm guessing the means the end of Fucale in the Montreal organization.  With Price and Niemi in the NHL and Lindgren and McNiven in the AHL.  Unless they plan on sticking McNiven in the ECHL this year.

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

I don't hate this signing, but, I mean is Neimi really going to have a $950,000 better season than Lindgren? Unlikely. It's multiple small moves like this, that do add up. 

Lindgren wouldn't be paid 0 if he is on the team though... he's in the minors and not on the cap. 

The habs aren't worried about the money spent, they are worried about cap hits. 

I like it, will either put the heat on Charlie to make sure he brings his best, and that nothing is guaranteed, or it will be a very solid insurance policy in case Charlie still needs another bounce back and forth type season. Best case scenario, we have covered our bases in the goaltending department and might end up having to "Al Montoya" Niemi during the season if everything works out. Worst case scenario, injuries or faltering play allow us to still have some capable goaltending for this season.

in Stephane Waite I trust, about the only person on the coaching staff in the last 5 years who hasn't made me shake my head about something or other.

5 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

The question is more, will he be $200,000 better?  If he plays like he did this season, probably.  (If he doesn't, he probably won't be around too long and will be waived.)

For me, the most notable thing here was the Habs releasing the financial terms of the contract in the press release.  For people like me who look at the cap stuff closely, that's a welcome change.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The question is more, will he be $200,000 better?  If he plays like he did this season, probably.  (If he doesn't, he probably won't be around too long and will be waived.)

For me, the most notable thing here was the Habs releasing the financial terms of the contract in the press release.  For people like me who look at the cap stuff closely, that's a welcome change.

Ya, I worded that wrong.

I'm just leaning towards the fact that Lindgren was already with the team. Neimi is an extra $950 000, that probably didn't need to spent.

Especially with the fact this team already has 10.5 million tied up in a goalie. 

36 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Ya, I worded that wrong.

I'm just leaning towards the fact that Lindgren was already with the team. Neimi is an extra $950 000, that probably didn't need to spent.

Especially with the fact this team already has 10.5 million tied up in a goalie. 

You're missing the point.

The team isn't pinching pennies in terms of actual dollars spent.  They are only concerned with the Salary cap.  Another 950K isn't what they look at, it's the cap hit.

Are people seriously arguing over $950k spent on a veteran back-up...?   Either it’s a slow Habs news day or Bergevin is the anti-christ.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The question is will they also give breakdowns of salary per year on multi-year deals instead of just cap hit, and also specific information on NTC stipulations. 

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

Are people seriously arguing over $950k spent on a veteran back-up...?   Either it’s a slow Habs news day or Bergevin is the anti-christ.

What!! Are you saying he isn’t the anti-Christ just like Mario Tremblay is????